Lets TALK COLON CANCER (join in)

by DannyHaszard 28 Replies latest watchtower medical

• rebel8
    rebel8

A local elder died not too long ago from colon cancer. He was a self-employed janitor who worked at night cleaning offices so he wouldn't have to interact with "worldlies". Unfortunately with his choice came an inability to afford health insurance and therefore health care--but had faith the Big J would reward him for his sacrifice and certainly would protect such a faithful servant from illness.

He had symptoms of colon problems but couldn't afford medical care. He didn't get evaluated until it was too late to do anything about his condition, and suffered before he died.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Ileostomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An ileostomy is a stoma that has been constructed by bringing the end of the ... An ileostomy may also be necessary in the treatment of colorectal cancer; ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ileostomy

Danny did they remove the whole of your large intestine? And if they did what sort of problems does that cause with the digestion and absorption of food?

BIGGIE no ileocecal valve that's one of the splinter valves in the GI tract that stop the flow this is the main difference betewwn a colostomy and an ileostomy the ileostomy is more radical.

So my transit time can be very fast and need to eat lots of yogurt as it's pre digested like baby food to make sure i get enough absorbed.The bag has lots of water as there is now no colon ther to absorb the bag must be emptied about ten times a day for me and changed every other day.

I can eat anything as agroup but only small amounts of foods that cluster and clump like nuts,bamboo shoots I can eat at the salad bar all day as long as it's all mixed together.

The ileostomy is the foolproof gold standard perfected by a Doctor Brooke in 1957 but there are many bagless surgical options.How foolproof is the gold standard ileostomy?I had surgery in 1998 have never had to see a doctor for followup.

• Mary
    Mary

A friend of mine died a few months ago from colon cancer. She was only 49 or 50 and had no symptoms until it was too late. It had spread to her liver, which was so enlarged that it cracked her ribs. Ironically, she didn't die from the cancer, but after one treatment of a new experimental chemotherapy which just shut her body down.

My father died of colon cancer at age 52 almost 17 years ago. I had my first colonoscopy when I was 40. They found a polyp (the kind that can change to cancer) so I had another colonoscopy last year at age 42. Everything was clear so it will problably be 3 years before I have to have another.

I have to go for my cancer check up next month and I plan on asking them about getting a colonoscopy. My family doctor said I'm "too young" to be worried about that, but I told her I was also "too young" to get uterine cancer in my 30s and age doesn't mean squat any more. My boss gets one done every year as his father died from colon cancer. After all the shit I went through with having uterine cancer, I definitely believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thanks for posting this Danny.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Danny's advice as of 1998 I had my surgery forever so i am now out of the loop on the latest advancements google for R+D latest

Heads up on pain and discomfort:

#1 You will have to fast 24 hours before and drink a gallon of laxative mixture that totally flushes out the bowel,so eat hearty before and plan on staying near the bathroom

#2 Doctor protocol has always been an IV with shots of valium and morphine sulfate unless you are allergic to opiates or a drug addict they take care of pain and I have had it with nothing and was no big dal.

#3 They will demand you NOT drive home (morphine) so have a friend or a taxi

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

My dr. had to have a reason to justify doing a colonoscopy on me because he didn't think my insuance would pay for it. I was having some bleeding from fissures and he used that as a reason to have one done. I think anyone with any immediate family member that had colon cancer should be screened early. Like I stated in my earlier post, my Dr. was hesitant to do it but I demanded it so he finally did one. Just think if I hadn't had it done I would still be sitting here with that polyp inside me.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

If you are at risk and take care of it,there is a 99.99 % percent chance you will never need more than an outpatient polyp snipped if even that.

If you get a tumor the first thing it does it block the bowel as an obstruction so you will need immediate surgery with the bowel removed and the bag,sounds scary i know but that's why prevention is so important.

Bottom line if you get cancer you get a bag (usually) and well you die too.

• free2think
    free2think

I had a colonoscopy done when I was 12 and was diagnosed with mild ulcerative colitis.

I definitely think it was stress related because my symptoms have settled down now that I have stopped going to meetings.

My brother developed irritable bowel syndrome during his stay at bethel. Am gonna encourage him to pursue his doctor to get it checked thoroughly.

thanks for the reminder

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

The procedure is a 'piece of cake' as here at least they put you out just like a regular operation. It's the preparing for it, the no eating and taking a liquid you have to drink every hour or so that is the 'pits'!

I used to live in Michigan near a city called 'Colon'. I think it was the 'rear end' of the world!

Outaservice

PS I had a glass eye that I was going to insert for the doctor to discover, but then decided against it the last minute.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've had trouble with my digestion since I was 10 years old. I can't count the number of times I went to different "doctors" only to be told I needed to see a psychiatrist and that I was inventing this to get attention. I still don't know how I could "invent" the blood in my shit, but the "doctors" didn't want to talk about that. Eventually I was told I had a spastic colon, and prescribed medication. I also eliminated foods that seemed to aggrevate it. Fast forward to 2001. The doctor, when doing a barium enema, found a polyp. I went in for a colonoscopy and had it removed. I get colonoscopies every year now, and had another polyp removed last year. Both were benign.

W

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

PS I had a glass eye that I was going to insert for the doctor to discover, but then decided against it the last minute.

After the second colonoscopy i always requested that the video monitor be turned to my viewing so i could watch it and learn,i also still have some hardcopy photos which are posted online but are too ghastly to link to here.My total proctocolectomy surgery was at a world class hospital in Boston with a ton of harvard medical school students observing.

I had over a hundred polyps which in Ulcerative colitis are called psedo polyps and only a pathologist can tell that it's not cancer because they look just like maligant tumors.The cancer forms around the base of the polyps in UC and are undetectable.The cancer is always especially wicked in UC and eats you up fast.

Solution,bowel must come out and so be it.

Oh,i use to go to a ostomy support group in Boston late 1990's and everyone there including adolescent teens LOVE their bag even though it's a major disfigurement,as the Ulcerative Colitis is that bad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit