What happens AFTER baptism?

by onlycurious 12 Replies latest jw friends

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

My friend is getting baptised sometime in April. I have lots of questions.

First of all, she willing inquired about some Christian books I have and is currently reading them. Both have to do with purity but I am sure she would notice some theological differences when she reads them.

Second, she mentioned getting baptized at some sort of assembly. Is this commonly done in the masses?

We were discussing differences and I said that the jw's believe that the wts is like the voice of God. She looked confused when I said that. ISN'T THAT TRUE? Do they just not teach here that until AFTER she is baptized....to the fullest extent?

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

It's rare for someone to get baptized if it's not at an assembly.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Is the baptism kind of an impersonal experience? Is it just a matter of formality and lots of people are getting baptized?

Also, do you personally recall being aware told that the wts is the voice of God? When I said this to her she kind of shook her head, almost as if she didn't agree with it in the same way that I was intending it to be meant.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

Yes.

An assembly is like a day-long JW meeting. The people that are going to get baptized sit in the front rows that face the stage. A baptism talk is given, and these questions are asked:

"On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?"

"Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

They say "Yes" to both, and then they get dunked.

Regarding the WT being the voice of God: Yeah, that's pretty much it. If you disagree with any JW doctrine after you're baptized, you can be disfellowshipped for apostasy.

• themonster123
    themonster123

Well, Witnesses have religious conventions called "assemblies" or sometimes "conventions" and these happen about 3 times a year (give or take). No, it's not like the entire audience gets baptized at once! There is a pool usually located at the front, near the podium, pretty small, like a jacuzzi size and two or three older men, usually ministerial servants are there in the pool to baptize you. Only one or two people are in the pool at one time to get baptized. It's not an impersonal experience, it's very personal. Before you're baptized, you go through about 100 questions (literally) of questions about the organization, God, family etc. all based on specific Scriptures. Then, once you're studied up, a couple elders go through the questions with you to really make sure your heart is in it. If they don't think you seem ready, then they don't let you get baptized till they think you're ready (I've never known anyone who is actually NOT allowed to get baptized, unless obvious stuff-like they were still smoking or living with their boyfriend or girlfriend or whatever).

And as for you saying that Witnesses treat the Watchtower like the voice of God, well, technically you're right....Witnesses believe the Watchtower organization is the only mouthpiece of the "true God" or "Jehovah," but it's not like we explicitly said that. I mean, as a Witness you truly believe you're doing everything for "God" and "Jehovah," NOT "the watchtower organization," which I guess in the end that's all being a Witness is really about. So, to her, she's thinking she's getting baptized for God, and the Watchtower organization itself is kind of secondary. For example, Witnesses have at one of their weekly meetings the bible reading where they literally go over the entire bible (only 3 chapters a week though) and the congregation gives their comments on what they thought of those 3 or 4 assigned chapters....So, it's not like Witnesses ALWAYS have Watchtower aids to study the Bible...anyway, that's my two cents.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    Regarding the WT being the voice of God: Yeah, that's pretty much it. If you disagree with any JW doctrine after you're baptized, you can be disfellowshipped for apostasy

Yes thats right you can speak against God, but if you speak against the WT Org you get disfellowshipped

• greendawn
    greendawn

There are many things they don't tell to the persons they indoctrinate otherwise not many would bother with getting baptised in the JW religion. They only present to them a sanitised view of their org, never talk about things like shunning ex members even parents or the total suppression of freedom of speech on numerous religious issues that are not approved by the leaders, numerous failed doctrines, and a dodgy history of involvement with the occult.

Advise her not to get further entangled in their web of deceit as coming away can be difficult.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

We've discussed the issues of shunning and I always tell her personal stories of people in my own church body that have done something BIG but how we come along side them and help them through their issues. For instance, one of the engaged 19 yr olds in my Bible Study just found out she is pregnant. I shared with her the general take on it:

Okay, so she got caught. Embarassing? Maybe, but lets stand by her as she approaches her wedding day and celebrate with her. So she had sex. Lot's of people do outside of marriage. Is it right? No, not according to the Christian faith. But let's not throw stones at the couple and ditch them. There's a lot of growing that will take place through the circumstance and turning our backs on her is hurtful.

I communicate these types of things (as there have been many situations over the years) and she always agrees. But, she still shuns people. Hmmmm.....

I have to be careful because she is a new employee.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Well it's been a while, but afterwards you get to be addressed as brother or sister so-and-so. You weren't referred to as brother or sister until you were baptized. Afterwards if you're a brother you can be a MS then an Elder and even an Overseer. If you're a sister, well you can be a pioneer and marry some high status brother. For women the change in status after baptism doesn't offer as many... hmmm... oppurtunities (I guess that's as good a word as any) in the organization as it does for men who are baptized.

I could rant about how you should try to encourage your friend to not get baptized, but I'm sure you already know why joining the organization is a bad idea. I hope your friend reconsiders.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to take issue with this.

themonster123 wrote:

Witnesses have at one of their weekly meetings the bible reading where they literally go over the entire bible (only 3 chapters a week though) and the congregation gives their comments on what they thought of those 3 or 4 assigned chapters....So, it's not like Witnesses ALWAYS have Watchtower aids to study the Bible

This is misleading. Yes 3 - 4 chapters of the bible are covered each week but the comments the speaker and congregants give are definately taken directly from Watchtower aids. It's not like congregants are raising their hands and saying "well I think the scripture is saying such and such" oh nononono. Anyone who has studied the assigned chapters before hand has studied them along with Watchtower aids and their comments reflect the Watchtowers spin on the scriptures.

~LL06

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit