Speculating on the future for pioneers

by OnTheWayOut 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

What do you think will happen to pioneers in the near to distant future?

They'll die impoverished and broken-hearted.

Nvr

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to reduce the number of special pioneers, for the same reasons they are downsizing Bethels. Not only it reduces costs but it limits the risk of having too many people claiming financial compensation should things turn sour.

Otoh, I don't see why auxiliary and regular pioneers who support themselves shouldn't be welcome. Even if they are completely "unproductive" they keep things going.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

A few weeks ago elders at my hall had an elders meeting. They were told that the Canadian branch wants to have 20% of publishers pioneer fothe month of April. The PO handed pioneer slips and told his fellow elder body to fill out the application and hand them in the next meeting. So there is a great push to pioneer during these campaigns.

my two cents worth

wanna

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

My thinking is that growth is definitely not in the West so not much time and energy needs to be wasted here. Close down 1 out of every 3 Kingdom Halls and pocket the money - tell the friends here that the money is needed for our less fortunate friends. Encourage more and more to pioneer overseas - including those healthy but older ladies who might be widowed or single. I have no doubt that the society will gain far more strength in places like Africa over the next few yeard do simply because the access to communication and a strong cultural faith combined are a huge advantage to the Watchtower. I see a decline of pioneers in this country and reduced hours, but at the same time, I see the society getting more controlled - smaller but tighter. I see a major expansion in non western countries, with the west supporting them in the interim. Let's face it - magazines are written differently in different countires depending on the legalities and needs of the location. How do we know and how will you know, if the 'secret' magazine for JW's only, doesn't spout the same 1975 nonesense over there for the year 2020 - fuelling the fires and gaining momentum? sammieswife.

• Highlander
    Highlander

It's been a couple of years since I've attended on a regular or semi-regular basis. I do remember my last convention that I attended, I believe it was in 04 or 05. During this convention

there was a lot of pressure put upon publishers and pioneers to learn a new language to 'serve where the need is great'™. I also know of a few 'brothers' that did learn a new language

and now attend a foreign language congregation to serve as pioneers, ms, elders etc. Of these brothers and sisters that I personally know,, they are treated with almost celebrity

status for their success in mastering a language and using it to pioneer. It appears to be the 'in' thing to do. A fast track to j-dub celebrity status.

I imagine that they will continue with that and 'encourage' the 'young ones' to pioneer in the third world which we all know is their only remaining successful marketplace.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I fully agree with Highlander. They love the obedience of pioneers. They will encourage them to
    move to foreign language/foreign country/remote congregations. They will sell them on the idea
    that harvesters go where the growth is.

• Farkel
    Farkel

What have you been smoking? :)

: But they might be costing the Borg money. They used to contribute money for their "placed" literature, but mostly, they
    rely on the householders to do that, now.

Nonsense. Whatever pioneers contribute for the literature today at their "special" discount, not only covers the cost, but gives the WTS a profit, if even a small one. Profit is profit. Ask Randy Watters.

When I was a pioneer, I think I paid a penny or a few pennies for my usual 100 mags per month. (Most of them ended up in the trash, but I had already PAID for them!)

The WTS is ALL about profit, and don't ever think that THEY are losing money over pioneers. Do you ever remember a time where the WTS or the Congregation gave CREDIT for withdrawals of mags or books in advance of Field Service Work? I don't.

It is ALL about money.

You must remember that the WT has a built-in audience for what it publishes. If NO one in the outside world ever "contribute" for a SINGLE thing the WTS produces, the WTS would STILL make a profit. The members are the captive built-in audience who must buy what they produce or face problems and ostracism in the local Congregation.

Brother A: "Did you get your copy of the latest "Babylon the Grape is Really Wicked and The Secret of The Revelation is Revealed in Sanscrit Scrolls Found in Florida?

Brother B: no, I didn't. I browsed through it and it was insane.

Brother A: You are spiritually "weak" and definitely a loser. We'd like to meet with you on Wednesday, 8:00 pm at the KH to discuss this. If we are sober then, that is. Otherwise, make it Thursday, same time.

Farkel

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Farkel, it may have been awhile for you

Whatever pioneers contribute for the literature today at their "special" discount, not only covers the cost, but gives
    the WTS a profit, if even a small one. Profit is profit. Ask Randy Watters.

Ever piece of literature is handed out totally free of cost, and people can put money in the box IF THEY WANT TO.
    Many pioneers are just like everyone else. They put in nothing or little, but promise to put donations from the field
    into the box, then there are no donations from the field. That means- place more literature, cost the Borg money.

I think they are still making a profit in the USA, but it's razor thin on literature, or even a loss on literature, the
    money comes from the conventions.

If NO one in the outside world ever "contribute" for a SINGLE thing the WTS produces, the WTS would STILL make a profit. The members are the captive built-in audience who must buy what they produce or face problems and ostracism in the local Congregation.

Nobody is allowed to keep tabs on how much the rank and file donate. They can get regular literature, free of cost.

It is evident that they have problems with the bottom line- first the quality of books went down, next the quantity of mags.
    went down. They have 2 or 3 campaigns a year to distribute "tracts" which are smaller and cheaper than mags.

• aniron
    aniron

In the congregations I have been in since 1970 pioneer numbers varied between 1 to 6. Now there are even congregations with no pioneers. It was always encouraged that brothers/sisters pioneer, but 9 out of 10 times it was a sister who became a pioneer. These usually being either those just left school, got a part-time job, then later married brothers. "Good pioneer sisters" weren't single for long. They may have carried on for a few years but soon they would have children. The thing about being responsible over child-bearing through the 1980's didn't seem to have much an effect round her. We had JW familes with 4,5,6 children. Even our Service overseer and his wife, both pioneers for 20+ year eventually had a child.

Pioneers moving overseas would mean them finding jobs, places to live. Many of them just about manage to do that now in their own countries. When the hours were reduced years ago it was because the WT realised many could not afford to pioneer with a part-time job.

Even before I left being a pioneer was a tedious job. If the ordinary publisher was getting reams of "not-at-homes" what were pioneers getting after doing 2-4 hours a day. I know a couple who just gave up pioneering out of frustation.

We have also had the "serve were the need is great" before and it came to nothing In all my years as a JW I only ever knew one person who did so. He only went to Scotland, far North, couple years later he married and had a family and came back.

Pioneer numbers will decline more its no longer seen as the "JW thing" to do. The young JW today doesn't want to spend all that time preaching. It no longer carries the "prestige" it once did.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Pioneer numbers will decline more its no longer seen as the "JW thing" to do. The young JW today doesn't want to spend all that time preaching. It no longer carries the "prestige" it once did.

Auxing for a month is more likely to be the young person's way to go. I did it for a month, and it was terrible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit