OK, my dealing-with-heckler skills need work! (stand up comedy)

by AlmostAtheist 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    it's coming up with lines like that when you need them!!

I think Dave is looking for an "all purpose line" for next time, assuming he's telling jw jokes. The one I used in my previous post covers that and does not attack the gender of the heckler, which really would alienate the women in the audience.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

: which would really alienate the women in the audience

Give up now, Dave.

Your career is doomed, Dave.

Cuz what one woman thinks, we ALL think, Dave.

That's why we WOMEN NEVER have a difference of opinion, Dave.

We are a UNITED SISTERHOOD, Dave.

Your wisecracks will never break us, Dave.

You piss one of us off and you might as well hang up your mic, Dave.

Attack a religion, not a gender, Dave.

Attacking a religion won't alienate ANYONE, Dave.

Is this helping solve your problem, Dave?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Is this helping solve your problem, Dave?

I'm healed! JalapeƱo, and praise the lard! Thank you!

All-purpose lines would be good, and thank you Frannie, but I'm afraid this gal (and others like her) feed on it. I saw it in her interactions with other comics, too. I'll work on shut-it-down lines, and yours is a good one.

Thanks too for the advice on scanning the audience first and noting potential "hot spots". I hadn't thought of that at all, nor had I considered watching the audience during other guys' sets to see who to avoid. (I was #5 last night, so I had time)

Good stuff folks, thanks!

Dave

• Scully
    Scully

Dave,

It sounds like you did better than you think you did! FWIW, it also sounds like the heckler had it in for all the comics, not just you, considering how the MC gave her heck when you were done.

I realize that heckling is par for the course in comedy, but I also believe that in an open-mic setting - where people are just trying out and learning the ropes - heckling is akin to shooting fish in a barrel. People who take shots from the sidelines, without the spotlight on them are cowards, imo... kind of like the t-r-o-l-l-s that we sometimes get on JWD. Their intent is to disarm you, to trip you up and get you flustered. Don't feed them!!

On the other hand, you could always go with a "Oh? you think you're funnier than me, eh?? I double-dog-dare you to come up here with material of your own next week and I'll sit where you are. Sound good to you?? But you probably don't have the balls. Oh wait... you don't have balls..."

• Scully
    Scully
    Attack a religion, not a gender, Dave.

Doesn't seem to be very fair, though, considering that most female comics' material consists of at least 75% male bashing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Heckler: You're an asshole.

Almost Atheist: That was on the list of qualifications for baptism as a Jehovah's Witness....right after "Leave
    your brain at the door." I see you're baptised, as well.

Frannie's comment works well. Even if the audience doesn't get it, going on the attack to hecklers
    is usually funny. These are spur of the moment comments, so the first one I thought of was
    similar, but different.
    "Yes, after they washed my brain, that's all I had left. I see that you are over your Bible-training."

• new boy
    new boy

Why not do the old "is there anyone here that is a JW?'.........If there is go to plan "A" mode

If not plan "B" mode........whatever those plans might be.....then your covered.

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

Heckler: You're an asshole!

Dave: Oh! Now I understand why nobody would open the door to us. (or something along those lines!)

Audience: (ROFL) Oh my god! This guy is spot on tonight. We gotta recommend him to HBO!!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You can also take control earlier, then ignore the heckler.

AA- "I was a JW for 20 years."
    Heckler- "So was I."

AA- "Well, then I apologize for myself and this pretty lady for
    waking you guys up on Saturday mornings."

After acknowledging her, stay in control, ignoring her. Ask other comics what they do.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    All-purpose lines would be good, but I'm afraid this gal (and others like her) feed on it. I saw it in her interactions with other comics, too. I'll work on shut-it-down lines,.......

Dave, the lines I posted can also be broken down like this:

Heckler: You're an asshole.

Almost Atheist: That was on the list of qualifications for baptism as a Jehovah's Witness.......(laughter)

Heckler: (heckling)

Almost Atheist: ....right after "Leave your brain at the door." (laughter)

Heckler: (heckling)

Almost Atheist: I see you're baptised, as well. (laughter)

This should shut 'er down. If not, get da gun, Dave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit