OK, my dealing-with-heckler skills need work! (stand up comedy)

by AlmostAtheist 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

Sounds to me like you did alright, all things considered. Roll with the punches, eh?

It takes kahunas to stand in front of an audience with just a mic and your mind. Kudos to ya and break a leg.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

May I just add this: Great act, AA. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "It's all in the delivery". Maybe tweak it so there's not as much of a pause between the line and the punchline. Tell it more like a story or just talk louder right at that point than any "so was I" person so by the time she gets it out she's already being drowned out by the laughter around her! :)

Do hecklers have to be addressed for everything they say? I mean, this is your stage. I'd say most people are already decidedly there to see you, not some heckler. Keep your eye on the prize, man. ;) Sounds like you're doing great!! Nice cajones by the way.

Also, have you heard of Google University? "Handling hecklers 101" might provide some valuable (and experienced) insights! :)

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Nice cajones by the way.

LMAO. And here's me saying the somewhat unknown comic is a large fish or expert of hawaiian origin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahuna

Thanks Spaz. Just goes to show what can happen without wikipedia or dictionary.com open.

*removes foot from mouth, eyes other one up by reflex*

Twitch (of the merely male class)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am in awe of anyone who can do stand up. I don't have the composure, and my Irish gets up-either my temper or the temperature on my face (turning bright red). You did great!

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I opened with, "For 20 years, I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

Thre's the problem, right there.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Well you did better than 99% of us could do in that situation. I would SO have been doing a Dan-Quayle-deer-in-the-headlights the moment I sensed the slightest hostility on the part of a single member of the audience, let alone have somebody heckle me.

Keep at it mate, and work on some new material. I'd be glad to be your sounding board. I've been wanting to go to this open night thing as you know, wish they didn't start it so durn late.

• atypical
    atypical

When she said, "So was I", you could have responded with, "I'm sorry to hear that. I have a magazine I'd like to share with you after the show."

It sounds like you did great to me. Scully is right; heckling on an open mic show is ridiculous. Don't give up, man.

• Robdar
    Robdar

IMO, Comedy is an art form and the more you practice, the better you will get.

One night soon, probably this weekend after your beer and pizza, you will have a "philosophical moment" and you will know with certainty what you should have said, and more importantly, how you could have better handled the heckler.

It's fantastic that you hung in there, stayed on stage, and still got a few laughs.

Break a leg, Dave.

Robyn

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

How about... heckler: "you're an asshole". comic: (borrowing line from Monty Python) "And I fart in your general direction".

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

how 'bout:

opinions are like assholes,
    in that everybody has one ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit