Threats My Mother Made...

by Frannie Banannie 29 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

I remember counting off when I was a kid, "Eeny meeny miny mo, catch a tiger by the toe. If he squeals let him go. Eeny meeny miny mo." But it wasn't tiger.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Thanks for the "beezer" info, Confession. I thought so, but wasn't sure.

I remember counting off when I was a kid, "Eeny meeny miny mo, catch a tiger by the toe. If he squeals let him go. Eeny meeny miny mo." But it wasn't tiger.

Jgnat, I remember that one, too. I thought my parents were really stupid about shtuff like that. I think one time when I had just learned to read, my older sister almost had a hissy fit because I sat down in the back of the bus.

• Confession
    Confession

Oh yeah! "Eeny meeny miney mo." Here's just another example. ALL of the kids in my neighborhood--none of them JWs--used this expression when we were playing games, etc. I don't think any of them had any idea that people used to use a word other than "tiger." But when my mom heard my sister and I saying it, she nicely told us we should stop. When we pressed, she eventually told us what used to go in place of "tiger." I wonder which generation eased from one word to the next? I don't think most young children of the 1970s knew about it.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I wonder which generation eased from one word to the next?

Conf, I think it was the generation (mine, of course) that was growing up during the Kennedy administration. I was in D.C. when the "peace" and racial riots occurred 1967-1970. That generation was old enough to rebel against the racist "establishment." That generation did more than burn bras.

Frannie

• metaspy
    metaspy

"you're gonna have fun, even if I have to break every bone in your body!"
    (gotta love 'forced fun')

"who put a nickel into you?"
    (translates to Shut up)

"you are never too old to be spanked, mister!"
    (this usually went along with the 'evil eye' that she was good at giving)

"Stop being a piece of crap"
    (um this was in reference to any of us not wanting to do what she thought we should be doing.)

"DONT..." (evil eye again)
    (a bluff, she has no idea what we were doing, but she felt she needed to give a warning shot first)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    this usually went along with the 'evil eye' that she was good at giving)

LOL, Metaspy! My kids called mine "the look" cause all I had to do was look at 'em when they got older.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

My (single parent) mother was very action-oriented.
    Her presence alone was threat enough.

On the up side, I'll always remember the day we were all sitting in the car in the driveway about to head off to the meeting, dressed in our "Sunday Best". She suddenly and quickly got out, locked and closed the doors, "I don't care what happens, don't open this for ANYONE", and tore off down the back alley, sharp pointy high heels in hand, in hot pursuit of our family stalker (a murderous pedophile). That guy knew to run.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    My (single parent) mother was very action-oriented.
    Her presence alone was threat enough.

On the up side, I'll always remember the day we were all sitting in the car in the driveway about to head off to the meeting, dressed in our "Sunday Best". She suddenly and quickly got out, locked and closed the doors, "I don't care what happens, don't open this for ANYONE", and tore off down the back alley, sharp pointy high heels in hand, in hot pursuit of our family stalker (a murderous pedophile). That guy knew to run.

SPAZnik!! Welp...my Mom was the same way. I remember one night when my stepfather was working nights and our car was gone. There were some teenagers sneaking up under the carport and my Mom heard them. She grabbed the broom and all 5'2" of her went flying out the backdoor, screaming like a banshee! I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted that broom where she intended to put it, so they ran away fast.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    wonder which generation eased from one word to the next? ..Conf, I think it was the generation (mine, of course) that was growing up during the Kennedy administration.

Yup, I can confirm it. I was about 6 in '66, pre-tiger, and by 8 in '68 we were post-tiger.

• Confession
    Confession

Wow. Thanks for that remarkable pinpoint, Jgnat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit