Threats My Mother Made...

by Frannie Banannie 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

My Mother was a short (5'2") red-headed, blue-eyed Irish woman. I was just sitting here thinking about some of the bizarre threats she used to make, either to us kids or to someone else that had her dander up. We always knew they were threats and would ROFL or LMAO most of the time when she made one. I can just hear her voice now. I think she made bizarre threats because she knew they'd be more "interesting" and catch our attention better than a casual correction of our behavior. They worked. Only problem has been, I find they're very hard to forget and very easy to repeat, so I've been salty-talkin' my way through my children's lives and now through my g/kids lives.

Here's a short list of some of the gems she used to spout:

1. You make my butt wanna suck a sour lemon! (means you're aggravatin' the hell outta her, so stop what you're doin')

2. May the bird of paradise fly up yer butt! (she's unimpressed with your behavior, underwhelmed by your lack of accomplishment)

3. They can kiss my ass on the courthouse steps and I'll give 'em an hour to draw a crowd! (she was gettin' totally pissed now)

4. Don't fall asleep now! I don't wanna hafta slap ya to sleep tonite! (self-explanatory)

5. I'll wring yer neck like a chicken! (If you do that/do it again, you're gonna get a whippin. - we didn't laugh at this one.)

6. I'd like to kill 'em and tell God they died of natural causes! (She was gonna get even with somebody.)

7. I'll yank yer tongue out by the roots and slap you with the bloody stump! (Don't talk back to me. - we didn't laugh at this one either)

8 I'll shove my foot up yer ass and pull you on like a boot! (We were so busy laughing at the visual image, we forgot what she was fussing about.)

Additionally, I remember only two pieces of advice that my mother gave us:

1. Getting married is like a fat woman taking off a very tight girdle. (So true)

2. Always wear clean underwear anytime you get in a car. You never know when you'll get in a car wreck. (This old stand-by came in handy in my case.)

• DJK
    DJK

I wish my parents could have been that amusing when I was growing up.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

((((DJK)))) Pobrecito! Well....Mom's humor didn't compensate for the abuse we suffered at the hands of my step-father, chere. But at least we had something that helped us keep our sanity.....I think.

Frannie

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Frannie:

My parents had a few sayings - maybe not as witty as the ones your Mom said:

My father would say "don't double-talk me". (I only knew what that meant when I got older. Saying this to a nine year old is rather stupid). I also got hit for "sticking to my guns". The meaning sunk in as I was getting wacked.

My mother would say "I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week".There are probably others but the most important ones my father taught me were "never admit anything" and "never sign anything".

LHG

• Confession
    Confession

Here's one my mom used to say (in as nice a way as possible): "I'll jerk a knot in your tail."

"Clean as a hound's tooth."

She also used to sing "Skeeters Am a'Hummin'" as the lullaby of choice to her four children. I don't think any of us gave one thought at all about it, but it's only later (as a white boy) that I began to wonder...

"Lay your kinky wooly head upon your mammy's breast

Sleep, Kentucky baaaabe."

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

May the Bird of Paradise Fly up Your Nose - Little Jimmy Dickens

One fine day as I was a-walkin' down the street
    Spied a beggar man with rags upon his feet
    Took a penny from my pocket
    In his tin cup I did drop it
    I heard him say as I made my retreat

CHORUS
    "May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"
    "May an elephant caress you with his toes"
    "May your wife be plagued with runners in her hose"
    "May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"

The laundry man is really on his toes
    Found a hundred-dollar bill among my clothes
    When he called me I came a-runnin'
    Gave him back his dime for phonin'
    I heard him sayin' as I turned to go

CHORUS

I was way behind one day to catch the train
    Taxi driver said "We'll make it just the same"
    The speed cop made it with us
    And as he wrote out the ticket
    I stood by politely a-waitin' for my change

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

My father would say "don't double-talk me". (I only knew what that meant when I got older. Saying this to a nine year old is rather stupid). I also got hit for "sticking to my guns". The meaning sunk in as I was getting wacked.

My mother would say "I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week".There are probably others but the most important ones my father taught me were "never admit anything" and "never sign anything".

Wow, LHG! I think I've heard something along the lines of that "middle of next week" one, too. I think Mom had a version that went something like "stomp a mudhole through you" and then there was the one where she said "I'm gonna kick yer butt so hard, you'll hafta raise yer shirttail ta sh*t!" Your Dad gave you good advice on those last two, chere.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Confession, as a black man I almost hate to admit that I almost laughed out loud at you mom's comment "put your wooly head on mama's breast".

My mom used to say " I'll Smack the taste out of your mouth."

My dad used to say "he'll beat me like I owed him money".

After he would say that we would both breakdown in laughter.

• Confession
    Confession
    Confession, as a black man I almost hate to admit that I almost laughed out loud at you mom's comment "put your wooly head on mama's breast".

I know, Pratt... It's like--why did she choose what appears to be a negro spiritual as the lullaby for our lily white family? I have to admit it was very comforting; it still is right now, just thinking about it. I know I sang it to my daughter too. Mom was from Tennessee, and I guess at the time it just reminded me of the South when she sang it. But "kinky wooly head upon your mammy's breast"? What's funny to me now is how long it took to realize how out-of-place that was.

Another Confession

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

worst most true threat my mom made was when i was a pain in the ass teenager... she said " just you wait till YOU have a teenager just LIKE you!!"

true..so so true..(although my kids are much better people than i ever was)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit