The fastest scripture looker upper

by SacrificialLoon 36 Replies latest jw friends

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

It was'nt that I was quick, but I certainly gave the appearance of being so. The trick I used was to employ certain mnemonics. For instance I knew that the Scripture in question was either on the right or the left, top or bottom of the page, and so on.

Another was to remember how to distinguish between the First and second of certain books, like 1Tim and 2Tim. I Tim 3 was about the elders, 2Tim 3 about the last days "hard to deal with"

Matt 24 was a cinch. Quoted so often by the WTS, my Bible was well thumbed at that place. The Gospel of John was a black hole, but then the GB did'nt use it much except insofar as they needed it as a rebuttal against some Christian doctrine.

The OT was'nt too bad, since as Blondie has pointed out, only a few stock verses are needed to sustain, at least superficially, WT doctrine. All you needed to know about Psalms for instance was 83:18 and 37:29 and so on. Again the top/down, right/left artifice helped.

Of course all this was totally dependant on my own particilar edition of the NWT, since my familiarity with its format facilitated the mnemonics. If I was given a different edition, like the large print, or even a different translation, then I was up the creek without a paddle, I tell ya.

But then no one dared. I mean I was an elder and all, was'nt I? I was considered a Top Gun, so there.

>sigh<

Little did they know. But it was fun. The adulation I mean. Possitively heady, like wine.

Cheers

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

No!

Even in my most zealous days i would wait to hear what it said, then if I found it interesting enough to mark it in my bible, i'd look it up. Then of course there would be the danger that i would find reading the bible more interesting that the speaker .... and i'd end up not listening for many minutes.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

lol!

I remember doing that...and feeling happy when i could find it pretty fast....sometimes i cheated by looking at where the brother was turning to in his bible before he said anything.

I'm with vivamus, I would often continue reading the rest of the surrunding scriptures if it was interesting....then I wouldnt be listening to anything the speaker was saying for a good 5 minutes!

ahh the memories, bitter sweet.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The Gospel of John was a black hole, but then the GB did'nt use it much except insofar as they needed it as a rebuttal against some Christian doctrine.

That's just too rich, Moggy.

Nvr

• carla
    carla

Moggy! You surprise me! and here I thought you were always the scholar all along!

• Jourles
    Jourles

**Ah damn it! Which one was next to Matthew? Micah or Malachai??** Reader begins reading. Crap!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The mark of a true drone connected to the collective is this-

I would try to guess what the scripture would be, then look it up before
    he actually said what it was. I was often wrong, but often right.

When I didn't guess right, I would still play your game of opening to
    the scripture fast. The minor prophets were the hardest ones. I would
    open the table of contents quickly on some then get there fast.

• blondie
    blondie

One of my claims to fame or infamy was to be able to recite (or write down) all 66 books of the Bible in order and spelled correctly. One sister suggested I was demonized because I could do that.

Blondie

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hello Blondie,

Demonized, no. Needing to get out more, yes.

Just kidding. I really respect your knowledge,

Nvr

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Ugh, flashbacks...

Then in the teen years we upped the ante.

We'd start with the bible closed, then when we heard the scripture we'd have one shot to open the bible as close as possible to where the scripture would be. Closest to the actual page won.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit