• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Big Tex: Thanks much.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

just heartbreaking

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

It's a wonderful work that Melanie and other survivors like herself are doing to recompense those monsters.

Frannie

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

bttt

back to the top!

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hi Mike, hi Randy, it's good to see you guys again.

As I read this story, I became very ill and unfortunately I was in a public library at the time. I felt a sharp pain in my head and fought the urge to vomit as I read what her parents did to her. Somehow, I could feel her pain, and my own childhood memories came back to me in a rush that was too much to bear...

I just can't understand why anyone would hurt a child so badly and then try to pretend it never happened. I can't say anymore, I'm completely disgusted.

Anitar

• free2think
    free2think

What a heartbreaking story. I'm so glad Melanie made it out. Thanks for sharing her story with us Randy.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

What does "Back to the top" mean?

I emailed her, had too. That takes courage to share that and she is doing it to help others. A real stellar person.

• Confession
    Confession

"Back To The Top" is when someone wants a thread to be moved to the beginning of the "Active Topics," so that more people see it. When you leave a post, it automatically puts that thread at the beginning. If you don't have anything to say, you just type "bump" or "bttt."

• Confession
    Confession

Yes it is shocking. Especially for those of us fortunate people who never had to deal with such things. I was pretty well into my adulthood before I came to realize how common child sexual abuse was. I found a few of her sentiments interesting too. With reference to her law firm's concentrated efforts on sexual abuse, she writes...

It's my gift to myself and to the little boy and girl that I see in my father and in my mother.

This is the sort of thing that occurs to me too, but rarely do I see anyone else admitting to it. From what I have read, a good deal of those abusers were abused themselves. When we think of that child being abused, our heart melts. We want to scoop him up and save him. Then twenty years later we hate the individual the child has become--because he (or she) has continued the cycle of abuse.

Is it possible that people avoid this discussion because it seems to show sympathy for abusers? Perhaps. I guess I look at it like one of those vampire movies. You're trying with all your might to save your friend from being bitten by the vampire. Then (through no fault of his own) he's bitten. Now he becomes your enemy. Bottom line: you have to keep yourself from being bitten--and we have to keep children from being abused. But, like Melanie, I will admit to feeling sadness for this horrific cycle.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

It's odd, but I also got a terrible headache and almost got sick when I read this and I couldn't finish it. I sent the link to a friend and the same thing happened to her. I guess we all have similar consciences.

Good to see you Anitar. Still have the headache.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit