ELDERS DEFECTING TO OTHER RELIGIOUS GROUPS

by badboy 27 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I understand that a jw elder in Western australia defected to the SDA.

Have there been other cases of elfers defecting to other religious groups.?

• bubble
    bubble

What's an ''elfer''???

• badboy
    badboy

i mean elder

• Confession
    Confession

I'm sure there are examples, but I don't think it's commonplace. Typically, a JW does not defect to another religion. After experiencing the remarkable degree of legalism and authoritarianism demonstrated by the WTS, they usually shy away from committing to another religion as being The Truth. And if they do, it usually comes after a lengthy respite.

Confession

• under_believer
    under_believer

Though the SDAs are a logical choice, if you want to keep the Adventist worldview that SDAs and Witnesses share, but want to escape from the cult atmosphere.

• grey matters
    grey matters

Yeah, I don't know much about the SDAs, but that didn't sound like a lot of progress to me.

I don't think I would do it. I'm too much of a carnivore

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'd much rather my relatives were SDA's than Jehovah's Witnesses. SDA's don't practice group ordered shunning and blood medical treatment is up to the individual members.

• willyloman
    willyloman

It's hard to generalize. I think it depends on whether the ex-elder has a spiritual side that needs nurturing. If he does, he may find his way to church someplace. I know we go to an Episcopalian (very all inclusive and non-judgmental) church once in a while, when we feel the need to for some communal worship. I get a kick out of taking communion and swallowing the "emblems," my little way of sticking it to the Man (i.e., the WT). It's all very lovely and we haven't once been struck by lightning.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Defect??

What kind of cold-war psychobabble is this?

I was an Elder and subsequently left and started going to other churches. Does that make me a "defector" any more than someone who left and didn't go?? Isn't that a substitute word for "apostate"? Aren't exJWs allowed to command their own destiny and attend whatever group (religious or otherwise) that they desire? From whence cometh the judgementalism?

• BFD
    BFD

I was never an edser but, I just can't see that one would give up one poison for another.

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit