No wonder Simon joined us !!!!

by kid-A 33 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

I like the fact that there are two major cultures in Canada, one French and one Anglo. I didn't know Canada contributed so much in the second world war and had 100 000 dead, somehow we don't hear about it so much.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"I like the fact that there are two major cultures in Canada, one French and one Anglo."

While these remain the dominant cultures and Canada is officially bilingual (our government operates equally in French and English), the social fabric of Canada is changing exponentially. Canada is arguably the most multicultural nation on the globe and a walk through downtown Toronto or Montreal will reveal the multilingual and multicultural fabric that makes up all major Canadian urban centres.

As for multicultural cuisine, within a 5 block radius in downtown Toronto, you will encounter authentic Chinese (szechuan, hunan, etc etc), Thai, Indian (southern and Northern), Ethiopian, Iranian, Afghan, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Portugese, Mexican, Spanish, Argentinian, Brazillian, Colombian, Lebanese, Jamaican restaurants. And this is just describing the immediate 5 block raduis around the area I used to live in the downtown core.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    As for multicultural cuisine, within a 5 block radius in downtown Toronto, you will encounter authentic Chinese (szechuan, hunan, etc etc), Thai, Indian (southern and Northern), Ethiopian, Iranian, Afghan, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Portugese, Mexican, Spanish, Argentinian, Brazillian, Colombian, Lebanese, Jamaican restaurants. And this is just describing the immediate 5 block raduis around the area I used to live in the downtown core.

That sounds like New York City.

Really, I've never been to Canada, which is sad since I could drive there. So many apostates I want to see!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Blondie, hilarious pic of "Jesusland"! LOL. Actually, "Jesusland" extends past the American border out west here as far as Red Deer.

Seriously, your diplomacy and generosity has done much to expand my experience on what grassroots America is all about. Three cheers for the stars and stripes!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

LOL blondie!!

hey kid-A, that first pic of the rocky mountains is, like, my stomping grounds!

you know me though. the chunk of land we are on is great. the homo sapiens who think they are running the show on this piece of land seem to be pretty chill most of the time, though there are plenty of things that we should still be working on even coming to understand. one thing is true: if you desire room to breathe, canada is bangup. get us out of afghanistan and the silly war on drugs, and i may consider not self-revoking my canadian citizenship. viv,

What about us? Amsterdam must have an impact!

the respondents who were polled probably have not come to see that the nederlands is probably the one country that all other countries should aspire to be more like. but give them some ecoligical disaster or all out nuclear war, and people will be thinking a little harder. but, the netherlands were probably not even in the group of countries surveyed. too bad. to liberation, one baby step at a time! tetra

• under_believer
    under_believer

Don't let's forget Vancouver and its lovely harbor.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

they say that west van gets some of the cleanest air in canada.

i consider Wreck Beach a second home. i mean, any place where you can be close to nature (temperate rainforest), close to like-minded people, walk around naked in the sun smoking doobies is gonna be a sweet spot for me. plus, the vancouver museum of anthropology is 500 m away.

tetra

• dobbie
    dobbie

I've always thought Canada looks lovely, i never met him cos he moved back there when he left my nan, but my grandad was french-canadia n, he was posted over here during the war, couldn't speak any english. Apparently we've got loads of family, cos they all had tons of kids each, after he had 4 with nan he had 14 more!

• Brigid
    Brigid

hmmm....just about this time last year I was in Ontario. Very pretty. Very tidy. But cold....brrrr...

Give me 75 degrees F in March any ole' day.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Canada is sort of a refuge for the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to canada. I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

And so, have come the vietnam draft dodgers, escaped slaves, iraq war dodgers, the british loyalists, psychedelic voyagers, prohibition protesters yearning to breathe free.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit