What could they be wanting now?

by Schism 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Schism
    Schism

Ok, so you know about my parents' and my email exchange. Mom said come to meetings, I was genuine with her and told her why I don't, mom replies with denial of what she just read (like I am a confused baby), then I replied with an email that ABSOLUTELY takes care of everything. From evolution vs creation, to the Bible, to Jehovah, and the WTS. I really drove it home, that I am not accepting this crap anymore.

It worked, she has not replied to my email. She read it, and there's been no more "I can see how you are confused, the WTS compact disk will answer it all".

But this thread is for a completely different matter. This morning, my husband called me from work. He got a phone call from my father. He sounded a bit strange, and it made my man nervous. Dad wants to sit down and have a talk with him, one on one, when he gets off of work. Not thinking (distracted because he works in emergency healthcare and actually WAS running an emergency), he said yes to the meeting!!

This is a big problem:

1) My dad sounds unstable

2) My dad is the size of Hulk Hogan

3) My husband is the size of Edward Norton

4) Dad has been a JW for 50 years, my husband has never been one and isn't able to combat the little twisty-twirly mindgame magic.

People, my man has NEVER been baptized. He studied for a little while, had a falling out with the elder he was studying with, they fought (verbally), and we have kept to ourselves ever since. Not because of the fallout, but mainly because I was ready to stop being a JW by then and it seemed like a good time to disappear.

My husband is shy and doesn't know enough about their beliefs to protect himself.

Several months ago, after we'd decided not to believe in their caca anymore, we were over at their house (they wanted us there for one of these "father and son-in-law one on ones"). My dad pulled my husband into another room and worked his magic. We were in the car on our way home after that, and he was already considering that JWs were right about everything. All it took was 10 minutes of games to get him to change his mind!!! This isn't a fair fight! Twisting logic and smoothing over all of the hard-to-swallow doctrines is not a fair deal.

I told him, "you know, my dad worked his JW magic on you and it worked", and just then, he snapped out of it and said, "oh my god, you are right! I fell for it again!" Yeah, like a fricking spell.

Today, my man is sounding quite nervous about it. He knows he can't defend himself from the JW indoctrinating magic tricks. My dad is pulling him aside, away from me, because he KNOWS that he will get more garbage packed into his head without me there to protect him.

I guess he read my last email and figured....."well, if I can't talk some sense into her, maybe I can convince her husband to come to the meetings. Then, she might follow him". Either that, or, "he is worldly and he is the reason my daughter believes in evolution, so I have a bone to pick with him". He thinks my dad meant it in the latter way. I am thinking he wants this meeting for the former.

I specifically said, in my final email: "No phone calls, no visits. Let's keep this in email because it is calmer and easier for each side to pull its thoughts together before saying anything rash". And here we are, 2 days later, a phone call and an invite for a "chit chat". Men only....wouldn't want the waspy daughter there to stomp out any little Jehovah flames!

My husband is working a 24 hour shift on an ambulance. He is under-slept, he is stressed out over several things having to do with work, he is stressed out over college. This has come at a bad time for him, and now that he has AGREED to this meeting, and is regretting it, he wants me to find a way out of it for him. So here I am, racking my brain for ways to get him out of this trap he's allowed himself to be pulled into, and I am asking for your ideas and opinions.

Remember, I am not invited and he is not conditioned to argue with their nonsense, yet in a moment of not thinking....he agrees to a conference!

Geez. Are they sure Adam wasn't the one fooled in Genesis? LOL Or maybe the smooth-talking snake was a Witness? Oh wait, I forgot! That story isn't real...

• Zico
    Zico

Can't he just phone back and cancel the meeting, or you can just go with him anyway? Why do you need an excuse? What you do with your own life is your business, I don't see why you need to give a reason to not have a meeting with your Dad. Or maybe your husband could just say he's too tired and overworked for this meeting right now, and tell your father he'll rearrange it in future... and then not rearrange it! Hope it works out!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Well if ever there was a time for "anything you have to say to my husband you can say in front of me because we have no secrets between us." Its now.

Nobody has the balls to say to daddy dearest "now is not a good time for us to meet because Im exhausted"? Is he that intimidating?

Dont send your husband to be thrown in front of the bus.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

OK.....I went through something a bit similar with my husband and dad. They met to talk without me and basically religion was not a topic my husband would get into. The conversation was about RESPECT. Whatever YOU choose to do with your life and your beliefs need to be respected. If your dad says "we do respect her"...you husband can ask...."And how have you shown this?" (My husband has been a manager in his company and has really learned how to handle this type of person....." If you want to talk more, PM me.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Just have your hubby call him back and say he can't make it. Or you call him back and say if you want to speak about JW issues we are not interested and please do not bother us with this again.

I've personally found that being direct and not beating around the bush is the best approach with JW's.

Good luck - by all means keep your man away from your dad and the JW's !!!!!

nj

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Insist on going to the meeting with him, no you, no meeting.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    OK.....I went through something a bit similar with my husband and dad. They met to talk without me and basically religion was not a topic my husband would get into. The conversation was about RESPECT. Whatever YOU choose to do with your life and your beliefs need to be respected. If your dad says "we do respect her"...you husband can ask...."And how have you shown this?" (My husband has been a manager in his company and has really learned how to handle this type of person....." If you want to talk more, PM me.

This is beautiful. Use that little word RESPECT early and often.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Have your husband call back and cancel. He can use the excuse that he made the commitment when he was in an overtired and over-stressed moment.

• Schism
    Schism

Oh, believe me...I am not letting this happen! LOL

I just wanted different perspectives on the ways others would handle this. I am just at my wits end. I type up 2 LONGGGGGGGG emails, explaining everything and just wanting to be left alone to live my fricking life.

My husband is very intimidated by my dad. My father's presence alone intimidates the crap out of other men, even total strangers. Once, a guy was parked at a red light and littered out of his window. My dad honked to get his attention and he pointed to the garbage on the road. The guy freaked out, got out of his car, and picked it up. That's just one example. Yeah, he is that scarey to other guys.

I doubt I will be able to get my husband to call him back and say no. I will have to get a self-help book on how to say no to parents, even big scarey ones.

Funny, he deals with idiot patients all day long, people who are drunk and try to hit at him, and he screams in their faces to establish control of the situation. My husband's supervisors don't even mess with him because he yells at them too! But my dad's voice over the phone makes him shrink!!! WTF? I can't believe my family will keep putting us on the spot like this until I tell them I hate them and want them out of my life. Why do they want to keep pushing until I completely freak out on them? I am TRYING to do this the NICE WAY and they WILL NOT LEAVE US ALONE FOR ONE DAMNED DAY! They must WANT to see how MAD we can be. Then, and only then, once we have retaliated with anger, they will back off. I don't want to be MEAN about this.

*growl* I am so pissed off. I'm not scared of my fricking dad. That is the whole reason I am not invited. I am too outspoken and would ruin his whole plan.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    growl* I am so pissed off. I'm not scared of my fricking dad. That is the whole reason I am not invited. I am too outspoken and would ruin his whole plan

That is exactly why you should go with your husband to any meeting with witnesses, including a meeting with your dad. .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit