Women.....................A JWs view

by vitty 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully
    is there any genuine excuse other than giving up entirely and surrendering? (Isalm=Surrender of self)

Self-denial, self-sacrifice or surrender is one of those highly valued qualities among many religious groups, JWs and Muslims included. To be a martyr is deemed a more spiritually "pure" way of life, bringing the person closer to God. Even Jesus said something to the effect of whomever wanted to be greatest in the kingdom of heaven must become the servant.

It's a kind of sick and twisted paradox: the greater the sacrifice, the greater the reward. For humans, what greater sacrifice is there than one's self?

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I could be wrong but any being that can withstand nine months of carrying around an extra 40-60 pounds while continuing to keep the house clean, laundry, shopping and a full time job, and then go through hours of excrutiating pain having another human being with a head roughly the size of a bowling ball emerge from their netherregions....can surely handle the TASKS of holding a microphone or counting magazines and time sheets.

Men get COLDS and they become the biggest babies in the world, becoming yet another child for their subjective wives to take care of even if she herself is sick as well as the other children.

jesus freakin christ what neanderthals they are

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

Very interesting stuff. When JW's talk about wives being in subjection to their husbands it is usually followed with a comment like "but this doesn't mean women are lower than men, it just shows that each one has his/her place in the family arrangement". Yuck! Anyone with half a brain can see how JW's feel about women and that is very evident on the discussion board that Vitty posted for us.

I did like what one poster said:

While it's true that women shouldn't teach in the congregation, as per God's arrangement given to us by Paul, I do wonder where Romans 16:1 factors into this, where Phoebe is mentioned, who was a minister (Greek diakonos, implying she was a deacon, or ministerial servant). Add to that the many female prophets spoken of in the Bible, and Deborah the judge, and I come to the conclusion that the current role of women in the congregation could be expanded a bit, to include ministerial tasks - perhaps minus the teaching. I know it might sound a bit radical to some, but as it is now, with sisters doing parts in the theocratic ministry school, 1 Corinthians 14:34 isn't strictly applied anyway, and perhaps Paul just gave this specific advice for the Corinthian congregation.

The portions I highlighted are points that I thought showed some "out of the box" thinking on their part. I only wish more dubs were willing to explore these subjects further than what the Watchtower will allow.

Thnaks for the post!

IW of the not so submissive class

• juni
    juni

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww men are "ha ha" funny. I love their sense of humor. At least most. And I hate it when the courts feel that only women can be proper caregivers to the children. Men get the job done in their own way.

BUT I do have to say that men still have not developed that second pair of eyes on the back of their heads that women have. Most men sort of get lost in the moment while a lot of women are good at multi tasking. Just my observation and experience.

Did I stay on topic? Sorry if I didn't.

• Terry
    Terry

It's a kind of sick and twisted paradox: the greater the sacrifice, the greater the reward. For humans, what greater sacrifice is there than one's self?

Indeed!

This is the philosophy of Altruism. We've been spoonfed this destructive propaganda since we were sipping breastmilk!

The irony is damning. We have no value, under Altruism, as individuals. As we give away our time, our talent, our treasure and even our lives we are viewed as more and more worthy by the "group" we sacrifice to. We have to cease to exist to achieve the highest status!! The first assault on our personal individuality is learning how worthless we are until we surrender! Religion performs this "service" nicely.

I'm constantly shocked at how many people don't even give a moment's thought to the insidious erosive agenda behind this self-destruction. Altruism is viewed as the noblest of all philosophies. Flag-draped coffins and dynamite-scattered martyrs share the salute of the group they serve.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

For Vitty:

In actuality, I do believe it's the ass that rules. While the head thinks of where to go and what to do, and the heart may wish to go and do as it pleases, the ass is the one that overrules and tells ya where ya gotta go and what ya gotta do. That's for those that are full of it and we all know who they are.

Frannie

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

Terry you articulated that so nicely! I especially appreciated this:

As we give away our time, our talent, our treasure and even our lives we are viewed as more and more worthy by the "group" we sacrifice to. We have to cease to exist to achieve the highest status!! The first assault on our personal individuality is learning how worthless we are until we surrender! Religion performs this "service" nicely.

This is this exact reason I have such a problem with religion. I have always valued my right to be me, even with all of my mistakes and damage. I never wanted to sacrifice my "self" in order to please a religion or a god and that's exactly what I have done for so much of my youth. I am still trying to break free.

I love your posts, you are a powerful presence here, you make me think, I thank you for that!

IW

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

THAT'S WHY WHEN GOD CREATED MAN, SHE WAS ONLY JOKING!!

• Threestars
    Threestars

OMFG!! I get so ANGRY still when I think about that hogwash, although to be fair it's not just the dubs. The notion of women's subjection is very pervasive in our society and it's difficult to avoid. I raised (I thought) my daughters to be independent thinkers and my eldest is now married to a man who, though not a dub, thinks along those same lines. I just want to shake some sense into her! At least she will be able to get a divorce without a lot of malarky when she finally does come to her senses. In the meantime, I wrote this sarcastic sonnet for her:

ORIGINAL SIN

When Eve gathered apples and tempted man
    in the biblical garden of Eden,
    perhaps her antics were part of the plan
    to make Adam deposit his seed in
    her pot, her cauldron, coy witch that she was
    and in lack of that tubular tater
    he coddled and hoarded, simply because
    he had one and she didn’t; but later
    he developed a taste for fruit salads
    it seems, and Eve got her vegetable stew,
    giving birth to the race and to ballads
    that praise his harvest, but paint her the shrew.
    So carve those apples and be a good wife!
    (We have what’s needed and do wield a knife)

(thanx Frannie--your tip on posting from the PM box works.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit