Women.....................A JWs view

by vitty 18 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

I was just hopping the boards and came across this discussion on E-mans site. Its just so unbelievable how the (men? ) in the org still view women! I particulatly liked the comment made by the bloke who thinks his wifes main thing in life is cooking bacon &eggs, sweeping the floor and getting up with the baby at 3 am

Enjoy

http://e-jehovahs-witnesses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174

• Gill
    Gill

Oh dear! I feel a very bad nervous twitch coming on!

What is it with JWs and their siilly ideas on women......and a lot of other religious cults as well!?

If you had no women, you would have no men. If you had no men, you would have no women. Neither is better, brighter, stronger, whatever than the other. Each has their own strengths and talents. But when taken with a pinch of religion, one is superior to another! Where is the sense?

• DJK
    DJK

There is no sense. I know a wonderful woman who was destroyed by the JW thinking of women. My wife and I will make financial decisions together. We share in all of the household responsibilities. She will admit, she allows me to do more dishwashing.

• fifi40
    fifi40

I wasnt a very good JW wife, it has to be said..........................and kind of adhered to the idea that whilst the man is supposedly the head, the woman is the neck, and as such directs matters................

• DJK
    DJK

I like that Fifi

• Gayle
    Gayle

About 30 yrs ago, I remember an elderly sister talking with me that she couldn't stand Rutherford because he would be on the platform stating women were a "bag of bones and a hank of hair", she said "and here all the women do all the work.",,,,it baffles me now that she stayed there all those years.

• vitty
    vitty

Just a couple of gems I picked out

I am unsure how it would be if they were made MS's or elders but I have a feeling these are positions women don't really want. I could be mistaken.
    Maybe Women are at the bottom of this particular ladder due to thier having been created for man, not man created for women

I respect my husband but we always make joint decisions. It amazes me how JWs fall into line, without really believing it. I know I did.

I hated it when women were commendated on the platform, it was so condescending...................

The worse thing was when you were on sevice on a Saturday morning with territory you had worked all week. You would have to stand there while a snotty 17 year old told you were to go and what to do, and not challenge him if he were wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Terry
    Terry

I once had a friend who was a Muslim lady. We had this conversation about a "woman's role".

I was a bit taken aback by her rationalizing. Her husband dominated her. She could go nowhere without a million questions being asked about who she was seeing, where she was going, when she would return.

The Muslim lady's e-mail messeges were read by the husband and he would write me out of the blue with accusatory questions too!

What did the lady say about all this?

She JUSTIFIED IT!

Being a Muslim was a "protection" for women. It kept them safe and modest and superior (Yes, superior!) to Western women (Christians) who show their bodies, paint their faces and use terribly language while pampering themselves like lap poodles.

In the same breath she would complain about her husband's overbearing treatment of her!

This is cognative dissonance to the nth degree, if you ask me!

My feeling on this is that some women will trade a certain kind of security (a home and a duty) for almost any freedom or happiness----and I can't for the life of me think why this would be.

I'm puzzled. I know we can become accustomed to almost anything because humans are very adaptable.

But, is there any genuine excuse other than giving up entirely and surrendering? (Isalm=Surrender of self)

(Oh, I almost forgot to add this post script! This woman I was speaking about dropped off the radar for a year or so. Then, I heard from another friend she had run off with some fellow who was also married who lived in an entirely different country. He left his wife and kids to be with her. Then, she dumped him and went back with her husband. So, I guess he at least had cause for suspicion!)

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings vitty,

The Draconian headship rule, where dub teachings regard women as "a weaker vessel" is one of those rules that are taught, but seldom practiced. I've seen more "spanked puppy" husbands, who claim their wives are in "subjection", but in spending time with them it just isn't the case.

Dismembered

• Hannah
    Hannah
    whilst the man is supposedly the head, the woman is the neck, and as such directs matters

That's hilarious! Love it, will quote you on that.

I always wondered way JWs treated women with the same distain Paul had. Where did this attitude come from? Looking into the bible, Jesus definately didn't view women as second class citizens. Mary Magdelane was a close companion and teacher who's abilities were not limited because of her sex. Also, in the old testament God used women for many great things i.e. Sarah, Ester

I truly believe that all this sexist fuss comes from the original roman catholic church who formed the basis of so-called "religion". They were a bunch of fuddy-duddy old men with sexist attitudes who set the stage for the rest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit