They changed my work hours, drastically!

by Virgochik 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I use to work a swing shift, 12 hour days switched every couple of days, wont get into it but your body will adjust, try making these changes until your body makes the adjustment.

Use hearing plugs to drowned out the noise

Either go to the doctor and ask for Lunesta or something based on your body weight and time that you need to sleep

Drink a glass of wine but NOT with any sleeping meds

Exercise as this is a natural way to relieve stress and makes you tired naturally

Don't eat late, as this will cause you to stay up perhaps

Eliminate sugars, soft drinks later in the day

Read before going to bed, this will make your eyes tired

Sweet dreams and wish you the best

abr

• Scully
    Scully

I've found it much easier to adjust to working the night shift than I did trying to work 12 hour day shifts. I was always so paranoid about missing that 5 a.m. alarm that I was waking every hour through the night and ended up exhausted at work by 2 in the afternoon

To sleep during daylight, I've got dark blinds that occlude light. I turn off the ringers on my phones - if you get an important phone call, the person will leave a message, otherwise I find that it's usually telemarketers. Sometimes I've had to take medication like Dramamine or Benadryl to go to sleep earlier than what I was accustomed to do.

One of the best online resources I've found is www.circadian.com - it is a website dedicated to improving the quality of life of shiftworkers. It has research on the effects of shiftwork on the people who do it, tips for getting enough sleep and adjusting to different schedules, and information to help workers deal with employers and for employers on the legalities of having shiftworkers in their employ. Did you know that you might be entitled to take sleep breaks due to the extended work day? Did you know that you might be entitled to overtime pay for working extended hours? Did you know that your employer may be held vicariously liable if you are injured on the job, or have a car accident on your way to work or on your way home from work that is deemed to be due to excessive fatigue?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Nenner, nenner, nenner!!! You can't try and kill my thread anymore at night.

Though I have this vision of you getting up every hour just to check your computer!!

Seriously, I have had to bounce around when doing a nurse's schedule, so I do feel for you. Everyone has had good advice!!

i tend to get really psychotic!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

I had to do it once and all I can say you shouldn't worry about it too much you will soon get used to it and probably enjoy it better waking up so early in the morning. I wouldn't drink stimulants (coffee, tea, hot chocolate) three or four hours before going to sleep because they keep me awake.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Another thought occured to me: Get a coffee maker with a timer and have it start making coffee right before you are supposed to get up.

So how did your first day on then new schedule go?

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit