We're Better than Jehovah's Witnesses

by joelbear 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

Joel,

We claim those things only because JWs use that as proof that they are the right religion. By showing the hollowness of those claims, we show their proofs are not valid. We exJWs, on the other hand, do NOT claim to be the right religion, or to be fulfilling prophecies, or anything else like that. If JWs did the same, we wouldn't be debunking their claims.

Furthermore, I do see better behavior among exJWs. For one thing, you see unconditional love. No, not among every last one of us, but you get nuts in every group. You were unfairly attacked yesterday, and it hurts, I know. But if you mostly ignore the nuts, you'll find it's much more pleasant here.

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Dear Joelbear,
    I have to echo Seeker's thoughts. We don't claim to be god's only spokesperson on earth and the only channel by which people can get to god--which is the reason that the WTBTS gets called on their behavior, teachings, and actions of their adherants. We're just a little online community--our only bond being, that in some way JW's have touched our lives. Usually that has been in a negative way (we can't help it, and it's VERY therapeutic to write it out). But experiences within the org are not always negative, as yours and others' posts indicate. BUT....we can talk about it now. Whatever "it" is for each individual. We're safe. That is just one of the differences here. One of the others is that you can express emotion and opinions freely. You might get called on it. You might even get "yelled at" cyberly of course, but you're FREE. You can lash back. You can get angry. You can forgive. You can go offline for a while. You can ignore certain posters. All without being called before a judicial committee, risk of losing your family and friends, etc.
    In the big scheme of things (and I believe I speak for most of us here), this is just a tiny component of our lives. When I get yelled at here, ignored, or whatever it really does not affect the rest of my "real life". I find it amusing to communicate openly with people
    who've experienced this strange existence called "being a Jehovah's Witness"--for better or worse. That's how I take it. It's no big deal.
    I am free. We are free.
    Love,
    Bridgette

• JanH
    JanH

Joel,

I think the problem is that some are discussing an innate quality of "goodness" (or "badness") and then try to say that one human being is better or worse than another. That may again be equivalent to saying one human is worth more than another.

I think it's more meaningful to discuss how people behave, what they do. And their religion makes JW do a lot of bad things, as should be evident from all here. It may be puzzling for us how many of the "good people" we knew who were JWs did so many evil things. Getting rid of the idea of goodness as a metaphysical quality with individuals will, IMO, help answering such apparent paradoxes.

Yet, I will not hesitate to say that e.g. Nelson Mandela is a better person than Adolf Hitler was, to use extreme examples. To make the same evaluation of groups is far more difficult (except as regarding Swedes ). Rather I would say that certain belief systems have a tendency to influence believers to do evil acts, more so than the average person would do.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• joelbear
    joelbear

Jan,

What is the cause and effect? Do people commit evil acts because of their belief systems or do that adopt belief systems that allow them to commit evil acts?

Joel

• LDH
    LDH

We might not be better, but dammit, we're better off!

No longer do I judge someone based on how many hours selling magazines they 'turn in' per month.

Neither do I feel the need to continue dialogue with people on this board who have made it obvious what their M.O. is--unlike JWs.

The counsel to 'continue putting up with one another' does not just apply to groups claiming to have God's sole blessing--it's good advice for life, I find.

Lisa

• JanH
    JanH

Joel,

What is the cause and effect? Do people commit evil acts because of their belief systems or do that adopt belief systems that allow them to commit evil acts?

There may be an effect both ways, but far and away the most common thing is to get the belief system first, and then be formed by it.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Joelbear, it's idiotic to compare us to JW's and say 'we arent any better' and 'everything has good and bad sides' because well, we as acommunity havent KILLED anyone because of some insane policy we insist our members follow.

• joelbear
    joelbear

So, now I'm an idiot?

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

No Joel you're not an idiot so quit acting like one and stop whinging for attention like a little boy with a owiefinger.

You are getting on my one remaining nerve and pissing me off with your childish behavior. Got a prob with someone? Talk to HIM and quit trying to make everyone share your snit. Some of us are tryin to die in peace here buddy. Quit fartin in my sickroom, ok?

• Simon
    Simon

I certainly don't claim to be 'better' than JW's but I am certainly not 'worse' as they claim. Not being a JW does not make you happier but neither does it make you miserable as they would like.

The fact is, the WT has hurt a lot of people and killed a lot of people. The worst thing that happens here is people get insulted or have an argument.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit