SUMMER 2007: WT RESEARCH

by pixel 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Bethel has never had a library to my knowledge for regular JWs. The library in the KH serves that purpose. The libraries there are for Bethelites use. As an elder in NYC with Bethelites on my elder body I had a hard time getting them to allow me in.

tsof

• onacruse
    onacruse

fmw:

I'm just traying to figure out the logical reason for libraries to be offlimits to non-bethelites.....

If I may offer one possible explanation: There were numerous books on the 8th floor library (not so much that I saw elsewhere), that included what might be called "disturbing" content...commentaries that disagreed with what the WTS taught, including books about the occult, etc. These, of course, were intended only for use by those who had the spiritual strength to perceive the contents thereof in the "proper" way, and only for specific reasons.

This was the way it was put to me, off-the-record, when I asked about it.

• VM44
    VM44

Even if a person went to their local Kingdom Hall and asked to use the library, the elders would ask the person for what purpose. If the elders didn't like the person's reason they wouldn't let them use the library.

What topics do you wish to research?

--VM44

• tmo1965
    tmo1965
    including books about the occult,

That's scary. Why would they need a book on the occult, when God clearly says to stay away from such?

• onacruse
    onacruse

VM44:

Even if a person went to their local Kingdom Hall and asked to use the library, the elders would ask the person for what purpose. If the elders didn't like the person's reason they wouldn't let them use the library.

I don't think that's a correct observation. The KH libraries are a different matter. I myself was a constant peruser of the KH library, and no elder ever prohibited me from such.

tmo1965:

Why would they need a book on the occult, when God clearly says to stay away from such?

As a basis to make selected quotations from such books, in contradistinction to the Truth.

But, perhaps most interesting of all is: where is pixel? A person on a mission, who has apparently abandoned the thread that he/she started.

• knock knock
    knock knock

And you would think that with the proper "library card" someone with the UN at least would be granted permission to the WT libraries. Nahhhh, that would be something akin to turnabout equaling fair play or somesuch nonsense and that would never do.

disclaimer: just one person's slightly inebriated rambling - nevermind.

• pixel
    pixel

Where's Pixel?

I'm here. Sorry people that I did not comment until today. I really apreciate your comments. Thanks for letting me know that I can ask you guys questions.

What happens is that I can only use the computer from my job, because I'm not that crazy to use it from my house with my family around. Now when I'm home alone, I can relax and type.

It's amazing how the WT takes pride of their books and yada yada but won't let people research its own old stuff. To set an example: In the Revelation Book, they talk a lot about the Vindication book and how good it was. But why don't they print more copies so people could read it? because they might find stupid things.

I can't think of another example, but can you imagine the USA saying that their Declaration of Independence made them free, yet not letting people read it?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Back in 1985 when we visited Bethel, our guide took us in one of the librarys. He said, "We can't stay long, you're not technically supposed to be in here." That was when he showed me the book Angels and Women on the bookshelf. (The book dictated by a demon through a woman and re-edited and promoted by Russell/Rutherford through the WT.) He told me that he wasn't supposed to show this book to anyone and informed me what it was about. I was a bit stunned. It was the first I'd heard of it. There were tons of Bible commentaries on the shelf. Seeing that book on the shelf, and the book of Mormon, helped destroy my trust. I wondered what the heck that was about.

Then he rushed us out.

It was an eye opener and shook my trust in the borg. I went from there to the library of Congress and read old Watchtowers. When I got home to CA I found the same old WT's in a local congregation library. DUH. Now they're online. Saves lots of money and time.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit