Has anyone ever adopted a village or driven a truck of supplies overseas?

by Qcmbr 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

My friend and I are mulling over the idea of doing something like this and yet we are so naive and know so little about the practicalities of such an exercise that we don't even know if we have the capacity to do this. Has anyone ever done anything like this and would share what was involved? If its too scary I'll just donate toys to the hospital..

• Satanus
    Satanus

I sometimes see those guilt inducing infomercials w starving but cute african babies or south american or whatever. I applaud someone who reacts by wanting to do something. However, the causes are very deeply entrenched; they are historical, societal, the nature of the majority of the people, to name a few. By all means, get more info on what individual, churches, govts, the un have tried or are doing, and the results.

S

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi Qcmbr

I haven't done this myself but do support small charities which do. I'd be inclined to suggest that you need to think a bit more about it. First of all, which country? Then find out as much about that country as possible - what are the REAL needs (not what you think they need!). What are the legal issues regarding getting supplies into the country (do you need to bribe the border police, are certain items absolutely banned etc?).

Perhaps it may be more beneficial at first to volunteer your services to a charity already in place - then you get a good idea how things work and have some 'big guy' clout behind you if any problems arise.

Here's the websites of the organisations I support. I'm sure that if you drop them an email, they'll help you with advice:

http://www.joyworld.org.uk/history.htm

http://www.cartyorkshire.co.uk/

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Thanks! We discussed doing something a bit more real with our lives and see if we could have a bit of an adventure along the way (of course that rings alarm bells since need shouldn't be someone elses 'adventure') but I'm just getting the feel to do something more with my time than the current run of the mill - we might just see if we can tag alongside an established project to begin with. Personally I'd love to find somewhere in Zimbabwe (where I was born) to help but I suspect that's not possible.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Born in zimbabwe. Well then, you must know the reason for the poverty there. How it went from a food exporting country to where it is today. The white farms were the engines for the country. Robert mugabe has systematically worked at destroying the white farms, because they were white. I read that some churches were sponsering white people to come out of that country.

S

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Make sure you drink plenty of Jesus Beer before you try driving a truck overseas, or it will sink.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

very good jag:)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

don't know where you live, but there are probably poor people all around you. I admire Habitat for Humanity, for instance, and they go lots of places and work hard helping others. I wonder if heading off to another country without understanding all the issues could actually be dangerous? Or at the very least, not very helpful. I used to donate to Mother Teresa's charity in Tijuana - one of the things they told me down there was that it was important to donate things that were necessary like milk for kids, but not stuff that could just be sold and used to buy alcohol or drugs. I would never have thought of that. Or, maybe you could volunteer for the Red Cross, which sends people to all sorts of disaster areas. We have a friend, for instance, who was sent down to New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. Or maybe you would like to become a paramedic or fireman or police officer if you are looking for adventure. Those are my ideas off the top of my head. Wish I was young again and ready for adventure - so many interesting things you have in front of you!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Mr Frass and I started a little project in Fiji, installing a wind-powered computer lab for a school and setting up a workshop at which the locals can build their own components for a solar-powered lighting system in their huts.

http://www.smallsolar.org/

We started three years ago on our honeymoon, very naive about what we could achieve. Prepare yourself for corruption, skimming, red tape by the gallon, and our biggest killer; indifference. The poverty and basic daily indolence in Fiji is so deeply entrenched that our efforts are a drop in the bucket. You have to be very, very tough to keep trying, and a one-off effort will do nothing. Pick a family or a child or a school or clinic and commit to it for a long time. That's how you'll get the meaning you're looking for.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

The way charitable programs get started is "the need." Look at the world, your country of birth, and look at where the greatest need is; AID's, hunger, education, homeless children, etc.

Then you play with the ideas in your head. Dream. Don't even allow yourself to think "I Can't." Once you get going you may be amazed at how the ball gets rolling and grows. Being a leader merely means you have the guts to fearlessly try something with wild abandon.

The charity I started late last year is growing fast and will be merging with another nationally recognized faith based coalition that I didn't know much about before this. It is backed locally by 20 interfaith churches.

But that is how this one has grown. There are all sorts of ways to make a difference. I was just looking at The Gap's websites and the Go Red AID's Africa project.

Hooking up with an established 501C3 is the easiest way to get started, that doesn't mean that it will not be your very own project. Many charities are happy to expand thier outreaches with someone willing to take the lead.

Love,

Kate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit