BASIC thinking....a TEST of how rational we are.

by Terry 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry
    We label the something which is different from everything else by identifying WHAT EXACTLY is the most essential attribute . This essential attribute becomes the difference (differentia) or identity.

Labels are subjective. They are not objective. The somethings we label are therefore also subjective, because, as you have stated, they can only be somethings if we have labeled them. Since labeling is a subjective process, the resultant somethings cannot be differentiated objectively.

Somethings are dependant upon beliefs and consensus.

I think you mean "labels are elective". Not the same thing as subjective!

A thing IS or is not. What word we attach is beside the point when labeling. The FACT of existence cannot be changed by what we call it. This is the mistake made by mystics when they try to alter reality by the words they use.

You are falling into the trap of the mystic. Plop!

A forest fire isn't subjective. The trees burn, the smoke swirls, the animals run for their lives and you call the fire department. Each living thing experiences their own particular drama which is experienced subjectively. However, that does not change any part of the forest fire at all (objective.)

Confusing an actually existing thing with our own label is an error of thinking quite dramatic! I'm surprised! This might well be the source of many of our encounters on other subjects!

Surely you are joking.

A label (concept) is a general way of classifying reality. Whatever language we choose (words, numbers, etc.) is beside the point. Reality is what it is. A thing exists or it does not. It is our perception of the actually existing thing which gives rise to our need to denominate (name) it with a label.

• Terry
    Terry

in other words what are you scared of ? to study about rationalisme at this point ? isn't that being a slave somehow?

scared / slave (that's what you attribute to religious people) when this is just your point of view (not really rational conclusion) cause for instance I'm not scared and my belief doesn't make me a slave of anything ...

I do not espect an answer ... take it or leave it

I leave it.

You are reacting to something. The reaction is a strong one. I touched a nerve. One might wonder why you feel threatened. Beside that--I can't say.

You aren't afraid and you aren't a slave. Okay.

That is great place to be.

It has little to do with what I'm talking about here other than a process which seems important to me and which I've been asked to explain.

Surely you'll grant me the space to do that?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

No, Terry, I meant what I said.

Things are defined by their differentiation from other things, as you stated correctly. Objects and concepts only exist as separate from other objects and concepts to the degree our minds can differentiate the objects and concepts by those things which are NOT held in common between them.

"Things" exist everywhere at all times. All with which we can interact, including what appears to be empty space, is occupied by "things." Shared labels for these "things" require belief (in the separateness and distinctness of the thing labeled) and consensus (a predominance of population that agree to the separateness and distinctness of the thing labeled).

Instead of childishly taunting and demeaning me, demonstrate an exception, please, if you can. Let us use your example of a forest fire: what is fire?

It has been being used by men for a very long time. Can you define fire objectively?

Or for that matter, what is a forest, objectively speaking? How many trees make a forest? What size must they be. How much land area must be covered and to what density? I think you will find any "objective" reality you put before me can be similarly dismantled with ease, because labels are subjective.

• RAF
    RAF

Terry you're a smooth talker ... I'm enjoying the way you are turning around the subject (with BIG GENRALISATION and TOO MUCH intellectual Babeling into DETAILS SOCIOLOGIAL paterns) whithout getting what you are introducing yourself as an issue about subject when it have something to do with you / your ways / your belief ... it's very interesting to observe ...

Leave it ... (why thinking about that? since you feel good) since that's rational enough for you ...

And why do you feel that you've touched a nerve? Do you think that you have that power ...

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Terry,

I have discussed this issue in brief before but, in a nutshell, you have laid out beautifully the tragedy of thingification.

What we call reality affects how we interact with reality and what we expect from reality. Labels are subjective; no degree of rationality can remove the subjectivity from labels. You prefer "elective" but there is reality you elect to ignore simply because you cannot thingify it in a laboratory under "controlled circumstances" which are themselves subjectively established (what is "controlled"?).

You do not want reality to be subjective but, ultimately, all reality depends upon the perspective of the observer (so far as can be proven) and on their ability to perceive reality (through any of their senses). For instance, a person has an automobile wreck and tells the officer, "She came out of nowhere!" She obviously didn't come out of nowhere. The person failed to perceive her with his or her eyes. However, the driver's body perceived the impact and the reality of the other driver's presence. Also, the vehicle the driver was in perceived the reality of the other driver's presence.

Reality required interaction and perception to be established as reality. Until that occurred, reality was only potential. As is always the case. Take a lesson from Schroedinger's Cat.

Thingification attempts to objectify a subjective reality. Labelling is a subjective—not an objective—process.

• Terry
    Terry
    Things are defined by their differentiation from other things, as you stated correctly. Objects and concepts only exist as separate from other objects and concepts to the degree our minds can differentiate the objects and concepts by those things which are NOT held in common between them.

Let me add some words in read to clarify what you are saying.

(Actually existing)Things are defined (electively by us) by their differentiation from other things, as you stated correctly. Objects and concepts only exist as separate from other objects and concepts(according to our ability to perceive the difference) to the degree our minds can differentiate the objects and concepts by those things which are NOT held in common between them.

Object Perception Our mind differentiates concept formed

"Things" exist everywhere at all times. All with which we can interact, including what appears to be empty space, is occupied by "things." Shared labels for these "things" require belief (in the separateness and distinctness of the thing labeled) and consensus (a predominance of population that agree to the separateness and distinctness of the thing labeled).

Sharing our labels is what language does. Whether or not our labels become the standard label for others is an arbitrary matter of convention.

Scientific labels are used in the scientific community. Informal groups use informal labels (A whore can be called a Ho, but, both labels refer to the same object.) Consensus is only necessary when we all wish to communicate clearly to each other by making our indicators as precise as possible (being defined for all to see.) Neither the label nor the consensus insures against delusion, misperception or hysteria. (UFO sightings, Bigfoot, Elvis sightings, Alien abductions, etc.)

Instead of childishly taunting and demeaning me, demonstrate an exception, please, if you can. Let us use your example of a forest fire: what is fire?

Wasn't aware I was taunting you. I actually thought we had a discussion going on!

Fire is a chemical reaction involving fuel and oxygen in which the intensity of the conflagration is proportionate to each. Does this really need defining? Fire is a common experience even among Geico cavemen!

Or for that matter, what is a forest, objectively speaking? How many trees make a forest? What size must they be. How much land area must be covered and to what density?

Hard for me to think you aren't aware of the proliferation of trees. Also hard for me to think the number of trees (which may or may not constitute a forest) is the conceptual common denominator to either the danger of fire or the point I was making.

In society we decide to agree on standards for our own common use and ease of communication. Some words are precisely defined when they involve money, medicine, technology and such. Other words are loosely defined because the actual numbers or descriptions are less vital to our useage. For example, the "inch" is shared by Great Britain and the U.S.A. which was based on, I believe, the distance across some king's thumb. A "foot" was the length of (I think Henry VIII) actual foot. A yard was the distance around his waist. Etc. Etc. It is an arbitrary unit which all agree upon and the STANDARD enables us to all be on the same page when discussing the particulars of measurement.

Other conventions are agreed upon such as the manipulations involving mathematics so that everybody does the operations the same way guaranteeing identical answers.

You are confusing the method with the object of the method. You are confusing the agreement with the reality of reference.

Non-contradictory measurement only needs an agreed upon standard and an agreed upon methodology to consistently produce the same results.

Incidentally, the usual method for destroying the clarity of a discussion is to pretend the elements of discussion are impossible to define or to focus on the non-essentials and make them a side issue.

I think you will find any "objective" reality you put before me can be similarly dismantled with ease, because labels are subjective.

Reality is always objective. It exists. Labels make communication between people easier since we are all speaking the same language. The fact you have chosen to speak English indicates how imporant this is. Your words (english language) are labels.

To the extent we use language (labels) according to agreed upon grammar (what we are taught to do in school for this reason) we understand and clarify our conversation.

To the extent we blur distinctions, pretend contexts aren't important or try to divert attention from the object of our discussion we obscure and muddy the subject.

Nobody is saying labels are not subjectively chosen. But, once the labels are agreed upon they become objective representations of the actual object they are referring to. The words German Shepherd are subjectively chosen letters and words and sounds, but, we all agree on what they objectively refer to when discussing breeds of dogs. Surely you can admit that!

• Terry
    Terry

Terry you're a smooth talker ... I'm enjoying the way you are turning around the subject (with BIG GENRALISATION and TOO MUCH intellectual Babeling into DETAILS SOCIOLOGIAL paterns) whithout getting what you are introducing yourself as an issue about subject when it have something to do with you / your ways / your belief ... it's very interesting to observe ...

Leave it ... (why thinking about that? since you feel good) since that's rational enough for you ...

And why do you feel that you've touched a nerve? Do you think that you have that power ...

The subject appears at the top of the page which you clicked on. You chose to participate in the TOPIC. The TOPIC is:

BASIC thinking....a TEST of how rational we are.

I've mostly confined my comments, descriptions, analogies and definitions to that very subject.

What you mean about "turning around the subject" is beyond my ability comprehend.

I think there is a language barrier. I'm guessing your native language is French and the English you are writing in is a "second language".

You certainly write better English (as a second language) than I could write French, but, it is a barrier to my correctly understanding exactly your thoughts and intentions. I'm guessing most of the time!

I said I thought I must have "touched a nerve" with ou because I interpret your manner of reply as being somehow oppositional and personal in tone as though you felt I was singling you out.

I have a reason for everything I say. Getting it across is the hard part!

• Terry
    Terry
    there is reality you elect to ignore simply because you cannot thingify it in a laboratory under "controlled circumstances" which are themselves subjectively established (what is "controlled"?).

Demonstrate that for me, please.

all reality depends upon the perspective of the observer

Demonstrate that for me, please.

For instance, a person has an automobile wreck and tells the officer, "She came out of nowhere!" She obviously didn't come out of nowhere. The person failed to perceive her with his or her eyes. However, the driver's body perceived the impact and the reality of the other driver's presence. Also, the vehicle the driver was in perceived the reality of the other driver's presence.

This neither disproves objective reality (the car, the impact, the aftermath) nor impinges in any way upon our discussion as far as refuting anything I've previously stated.

Our knowledge (to be useful to us) must be accurate. "Accurate" means identical with reality. If you want to quibble about how accurate we measure reality with our perception I will refer you to a pretty dramatic example of accuracy of both perception and objectivity.

Mathematics allows us to measure, describe and predict the action of bodies in space millions of miles distant. It further allows us to compute how we (on a moving planet) can launch a precisely built rocket which will navigate those millions of miles precisely, arrive in exact position and send back photos through space and reassemble the signals as digital photographs which you can download in the privacy of your own home!

This is not only accuracy of perception, computation, analysis and understanding, but, a clear and objective demonstration of the beauty and power of the human intellect in achieveing a purpose!

In Saturn's Shadow Photo
    Saturn's Atmospheric Changes Photo

Oh, and I hear they've sent men to the moon as well!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Darkness and light.

Well, light can be measured in a few ways, like lumens, candela, and lux. Darkness is the absence of light and cannot be measured.

Something and nothing.

Something can be measured by grams. Even nothingness can be measured as a vacuum (even then, vacuum is a measure of pressure)...but there is no scale to determine how much nothingness weighs. Nothing is the absence of something.

Heat and Cold.

Heat can be measured in Kelvins and BTUs. Cold does not have a scale, and cold is the absence of heat.

Happiness and sadness.

These are emotions and therefore cannot be measured. They are reactions to what we experience, and are abstract concepts.

Love and Hate.

Once again, these are emotions and have no measurable quantity.

• Terry
    Terry
    SirNose:
    Happiness and sadness.

These are emotions and therefore cannot be measured. They are reactions to what we experience, and are abstract concepts.

Love and Hate.

Once again, these are emotions and have no measurable quantity.

You are the man!

I might coyly suggest a means of measuring Love and Hate. How much of your time and energy you expend on obtaining/avoiding something might well indictate the level of Love/Hate. After all, there are exchanges which take place. Going out on a date or getting married and having children are ultimate by-products of that Love. How much revenge you exact and how long you have to spend in prison might be a good indicator of how much you Hate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit