Global Warming Hysteria

by metatron 262 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

metatron

You seem to think anecdotal stories about low temperatures mean global warming isn't happening. You're wrong. It's like someone saying because no one they know has died in a car crash travelling by car is safer than the statistics show.

Oh, increased snowfall is one characteristic of WARMING if the increase is from 'very' sub-zero temperatures to 'nearer zero degrees C' sub-zero temperatures; the East Antarctic Ice Shelf is growing, because increased temperatures means snowfall has increased. But the lying or self-decieving idiots you source from make such a superficial study of the subject they don't realise this supports climate change as they childishly think more snow means colder.

Frank

I am not going to be able to respond to everything you wrote in your first response to one of my earliest posts. Much water has passed under the bridge since then as well I find it hard to believe that you cannot find any of the material I presented to have any validity.

If there is a fault in my rebutals, show me. To suddenly not be able to defend arguments you advanced or repeated here yourself now they have been rebutted sounds like evasion and excuses. I will happily deal with any further arguments you have made in discussion with other posters that remain open after you have had the courtesy to respond to me properly, rather than cherry pick what you find easy to deal with.

Perhaps that is just your debating style.

Actually you will find the pattern of someone making statement, that statemnt being reponded to, and then the original person who made the statement being able to respond in turn is pretty univesral in discussions. Characterising it as me is sad.

So be it, I guess if it suits the pursuit of truth we can spend the next 100 pages of this thread in an endless, "that's a straw man", "red herring", "lies" and whatever other dismissive catch phrases we can dream up.

Oh deary me. So, you don't want to discuss things properly? Or don't you realise those terms are recognised as descriptors for fallacious (i.e. false or evasive) arguments? Forgive me if I took too much for granted and responded in short hand, but as each successive point you made was, on examination, shown to be a misrepresentation of the real argument (straw man), a destraction ploy (red herring) to avoid dealling with the actual argument, or a lie (lie), I shifted up a gear. They were such trite arguments great detail wasn't required.

I realise YOU may not be the one originating them, but repeating them in all sincerity, so don't take my criticism of the arguments you've repeated as criticism of you.

Additionally because I use WORD as my editor and how this website and it don't seem to get along I am forced to respond in chunks.....if at all...to what you wrote.

Use notepad; there's a bug in forum software that screws up C&P from Word.

You'll forgive me if I do not take Shutterbugs word for your credentials.

In fact let's leave the ego at the door.

I was responding to his question, so it's my word you choose to take or otherwise. I don't particulary care what you believe in this respect. Deal with the science.

If you are what you believe to be, then you are comparable to a bully. If you have qualifications that put you in a different league, then you should think about publishing papers yourself or at least not entering into debate with the 98% of the people here who are not academics and do not pretend to be. Why don't you try going head to head with the likes of Defreitas, Baliunas, Edward Wegman or even Claude Allegre?

Ah, the spite, the resentment. Still not actually dealing with the science. And you are making utterly contrived comparisons; I don't compare myself to anything other than someone with a minor degree in science, and a lot of personal post-degree study of evolutionary biology. Why make a comparison to others I do not make myself? Will distorting what I say make you look good?

I knew this would end up in just being silly. What difference does Baliunas' opinion on CFC's have to do with the qualified, arguably expert scientific opinion that she and Soon put forward in the article.

It is the 'arguably' you are ignoring. That's the difference. Someone who ignores a consensus so deep and so well evidentally supported the originators of the theory get Noble Prizes had better have some extremely clear and unambiguous science behind them. She doesn't.

She is not alone in her opinion although you can sling mud at these names as well I admit.

Dr. S. Fred Singer, Research Professor at George Mason University and Professor Emeritus of environmental science at the University of Virginia, and a looong list of others : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Singer

Yup, you're right, and the mud sticks with this one. His only moment of note seems to be actually being right in a situation where Carl Sagan was wrong. The link shows that he claims glaciers are advancing, yet cannot produce any evidence that this is so. Why do you feel that saying someone who cannot back his claims with any evidence supports Sallie adds credibility to someone who has her usage of citations refuted by those very people she cites?

Oh, he also dismissed reports on the risks of passive smoking as junk science; was it this thread or another where I pointed out the tobaecco indistry apologists were just like the vast majority of anti-climate change scientists? Why are you proving my point? I mean, thanks and all that, but...? Huh?

This is directly from the article you quoted;

Singer has been accused of conflicts of interest, most notably involving financial ties to oil and tobacco companies. [16] [17] In 1993 APCO, a public relations firm, sent a memo to Philip Morris to vice-president Ellen Merlo stating: "As you know, we have been working with Dr. Fred Singer and Dr. Dwight Lee, who have authored articles on junk science and indoor air quality (IAQ) respectively ..."[18]

The 1994 AdTI report was part of an attack on EPA regulation of environmental tobacco smoke funded by the Tobacco Institute. [19] Singer was also involved with the International Center for a Scientific Ecology, [20] a group that was considered important in Philip Morris' plans to create a group in Europe similar to The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition (TASSC). Singer is also a Research Fellow at the Independent Institute,[21] another recipient of Philip Morris and ExxonMobil funds.[22]

A nonsmoker himself, Singer serves on the Science Advisory Board of the American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)[23]. The ACSH strongly opposes smoking but otherwise tends to support industry positions on health issues, for example downplaying risks associated with dioxin, asbestos, and other carcinogenic materials.[24]

In a February 2001 letter to the Washington Post, Singer denied receiving funding from the oil industry, except for consulting work some 20 years prior. While funds were not directed to Singer in his name, publicly available documents show that Singer's non-profit corporation SEPP received multiple grants from ExxonMobil, including in 1998 and 2000.[17

If this fills YOU with confidence about this guy's honesty or competence, well, that is your promblem aned one many readers would not share with you.

Why are you so unwilling to accept even in the face of evidence you cite yourself that some scietists are incompetent or dishonest, and that in the global warming debate, the evidence clearly shows which side is better characterised that way?

Dr. Hugh Ellsaesser of the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory,

LOL. This guy believes in global warming, but believes human produced CO2 is special and that we should just sit tight and enjoy the ride. So, you like his opinion about CFC's but NOT about Global Warming?

Dr. Thomas Gold Astrophysicist and Astronomy Professor of Cornell University, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Gold

Fascinating chap, an 'out-there' thinker with a middeling strike rate; some genuine good ideas in advance of his time, some total mistakes. But you provide no evidence he'd support Baliunas and Soon.

Dr. Marcel Nicolet, world famous atmospheric scientist,

... who died in 1996, and who could therefore still be a brilliant atmospheric sceintists based upon the sceince when he was working, but totally wrong with newer understandings or evidence.

Dr. Haroun Tazieff, whose Tazieff Resolution calls for a retraction of the Montreal Protocol,

Do you realise cutting and pasting without credit is PLAGERISM? At best it is rude, at worst people might think you were trying to make people think you knew this off the top of your head. You got this all from here;

http://sciencepoliticsclimatechange.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

Adding in a few URL's and spreading it out over several lines do not stop what you are doing from being commonly seen as dishonest; don't you know that?

AND you ignore the FACT the page you are taking it from is using them as BAD examples of skeptics, I quote;

I believe that skepticism in the face of advocacy is a virtue, but this group gives skepticism a bad name.

I am wondering if further debate is productive, I mean, you take a quote out of context to suit your argument, but you've not dealt with the ten points you quoted and I refuted.

Even if all of these scientists mentioned, actually received payments directly from oil companies, how would that make their views any more suspect than those scientists who either support through membership or receive financial support from Greenpeace or the Sierra club? Why is the Fraser Institutes Agenda suspect when it hosts a peer reviewed paper but the tree huggers agenda is above suspicion?

Because, as the web page you plagerised but prehaps didn't read points out, "skepticism in the face of advocacy is a virtue" but some skeptics give "skepticism a bad name". And I have proved links between AGW cynics and vested interests. You just have vauge accusations.

You have not at any point responded to the detailed rebutal of claims you made, and you clearly do not evaluate the worth of a scientific argument before using it, seeming instead to select them based on how palatable you find them when compared to whatever preconceptions you have. Sorry if that is harsh, but there is no evidence to the contrary.

Competency is not the domain of only those who have Sierra Club membership.

AGAIN, a boring false characterisation.

At least I hope that is not what you are implying.....

No, it is actually what you fallaciously implied in your previous sentence; keep track man.

Yes Wikipedia presents the reference to the 13 authors. One of those authors was of course Mann himself. His refutation consisted of his claim that using inferred temperature readings from the past (i.e. tree rings samplings) coupled with modern instrument readings is accepted practice in his field. That may very well be in the discipline of paleoclimatolgy (I doubt it)

Frank, come on. What I, or you, or anyone SAY is not of great interest unless we can show that what we say is supported by the evidence. You have a doubt over what is accepted practice in paleoclimatology. You know little about the subject (I am no expert either) so this is unfounded speculation. Why the lack of desire to actually prove your point? Rebut properly or don't bother.

Further the guff about moisture is a another red herring to imply that Baliunas was out in left field,

As you've not bothered to prove your point about the initial guff (as I guess you would describe it), further speculation is again of limited interest when you could, if you wanted to, try and prove your point properly.

Shall we instead actually discuss in detail some of the faults with the S & B paper?

Like the vauge definition they gave to the MWP? Any 50-year period of warmth, wetness, or drought between the years 800 and 1300?

Like the straw man they used in comparing ALL the 20th C to other centuries, thus distorting the trend, further distorting the trend by not including many of the most recent records?

Using a record of plankton in ocean sediment that actually shows the strength of trade winds from 1150 to 1989 (which doesn't even fit their own method of determining the MWP), and of which the original researcher says "he found no 50-year period of medieval extremes in his record. "I think they stretched the data to fit what they wanted to see," he says.

Using sediment records from the African coast as a proxy for ocean-surface when the original researcher said "Mr. Soon and his colleagues could not justify their conclusions that the African record showed the 20th century as being unexceptional".

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~wsoon/1000yrclimatehistory-d/Sep5-CHEarticle.txt

Please also note the confirmation of the source they had funds from, more of which here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_de_Freitas

... when all that Soon and Baliunas noted was that Mann failed to take into account moisture levels as a reasonable mechanism for filtering the data.

Yes, well, as commented above in the Harvard link "It is absurd to take wetness or dryness as proof of abnormal warmth,"

Of course, if you wanted to talk about the ten scientific points you provided that I rebutted we wouldn't still be doing a meta-analyis. I'd far rather we discuss actual scientific points in favour of each argument.

Likewise in DeFreitas own paper critical of Mann, the issue of moisture comes up again. Although accepted to a degree,

Ah. Now is it accepted or not? Make your mind up. If so, to what degree? See what vaugeness gets you? Correct; NOWHERE.

In fact, as the latest IPCC report (2007) reports a 90% certainty that recent temperature increases are causd by man, I am curious you want still to attack a paper from 1998. Everyone who has researched the subject knows the conflicting views over the hocky-stick graph. But global warming does not fall or stand on that graph, so please, address more recent research, like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCC_Fourth_Assessment_Report

Lastly, 3 people from Climate Research (Hans von Storch, Clare Goodess, and Mitsuru Ando) are said to have taken exception to the peer reviewed article by Soon & Baliunas only after a much more prestigious paper EOS came down hard on the criticism.

If a much more prestigious Journal also publishes a more scientifically rigourous review what's the problem? It's about the science (well, it is for me, you're not even discussing the AGW cynical 'science' you brought to the discussion).

Even though that constitutes the timing of their departures it is rhetorical to conclude that the departures are solely based on what Soon and Baliunas wrote and thereby completely devoid of other factors. In fact to conclude that other factors were at play would give voice to the science of human behavior, personal motivations, logic and reason as it is known to exist in the real world!

Additionally, since the editorial staff today is made up of 12 people and a further 24 Review Editors (I don't know exactly how many were in place in 2003) I doubt that these 3 people constituted "half" of the editorial staff.

That first paragraph is a masterpiece of burble, which doesn't prove a thing. The second? "Today", "I don't know exactly how many were in place in 2003" and "I doubt". Wow. What a convincing case. Come on, do it properly.

http://www.sgr.org.uk/climate/StormyTimes_NL28.htm?

Whoops! So far so not rhethorical. Bad peer-review of Soon & Baliunas's paper and a few others caused the resignation which was five out of ten editors that existed then.

Why do you have this compulsion to NOT check your facts?

If the departure did in fact constitute 1/2 of the editors, the ones who stayed should carry just as much weight as those who left.

Now you are speculating as to the mind of the other half; please document your assumption they supported the peer-review process as it was carried out; they could have remanined as Editors and still felt the review process was flawed.

In other words had all or most of the editors resigned in protest the statement above could be considered more than hype and propaganda.

I think the additonal research I did shows it is nether hype nor propoganda, and shows you couldn't be arsed to even support your own argument or check your facts, preferring speculation. And this is where I point out again you've not responded to the ten rubbish bits of 'science' you quoted above that I rebutted.

As for Otto Kinne's statement in the broader context : http://www.int-res.com/articles/misc/CREditorial.pdf

"While the instrument of quality control, the peer review process, has stood the test of time, it should be further developed."

"Even a very thorough review process cannot include all essential perspectives and it cannot exclude mistakes "or misjudgements."

"Quality control at CR was practised along generally established lines. There were no problems over the 13 years of CR existence. But there was insufficient attention to the methodological basis of statements that touch on hotly debated controversies and involve pronounced political and economic interests. CR should have been more careful and insisted on solid evidence and cautious formulations before publication."

Translation? This is unfortunately how the peer review process works and has for sometime including articles written to support AGW. The only time it becomes an issue is when the subject matter is as hotly debated, and has been politically agendized at the highest levels of Government and Economic Interests.

He is clearly saying the peer review is not prefect, and that it was deficient in the case we are discussing. Funny how you miss that and focus on "and involve pronounced political and economic interests" whilst still ignoring any real consideration of the science.

While these statements may be true, the critics point out that they cannot be concluded convincingly from the evidence provided in he paper. CR should have requested appropriate revisions of the manuscript prior to publication.

See? even your own qutations support the point; their paper drew unsupported conclusions. Can we now move on to discussing those ten bits of joke AGW cynicism you support? Or more recent science?

What about the IPCC report itself? Is it devoid of contradictory statements, inflated numbers, misapplied statistics, revisions after the review process, leaps of faith and logic? If you have read the criticism then you know it is just as guilty if not more so given the number of hands that document passed through before going to press. Those critiques come from detractor and proponent alike! And you know it!

Yup, but you're not defending your own argument (I know why of course), and being vauge with the acusations. Don't shift focus off bad science you brought to the discussion and now won't touch.

If you insist, I can list those valid critiques one by one, and you know there are more than 2 of them.

Start of responding to the ten points you listed that I refuted. Or is saying you were hasty and in error really that difficult? I find one gains more credibility by admitting error than by ignoring it. The link to the fourth report is above, so after you've dealt with the out-standing we can move on to that if you like.

The controversy over Soon and Baliunas is a tempest in a teapot. And your aspersions toward special interest groups, foundations and think tanks goes both ways, only a plebe would suggest otherwise!

Errrr.... but the majority of AGW cynics mentioned here DO have provable links with lobby groups, and some are in the pay of lobby groups. Your accusations about the other side (which is FAR larger) are still vauge and unsubstansiated.

Nicola Scafetta and Bruce West Phenomenological solar contribution to the 1900-2000 global surface warming. Geophysical Research Letters,
    We estimate that the sun contributed as much as 45–50% of the 1900–2000 global warming, and 25–35% of the 1980–2000 global warming.

These results, while confirming that anthropogenic-added climate forcing might have progressively played a dominant role in climate change during the last century,

And the rest? If they're right that leaves at least 65% of the recent increases caused by oither means! Maybe it's burning billions of tonnes of fossil fuels!

Frank, this actually goes further along the road proving the sun is not causing the recent rapid rise (as 35% of what we have wouldn't be considered nearly so rapid or extreme.

The above document appears of all places on the AGU website. The very authors of the so-called EOS article outrage against Soon and Baliunas in the CR paper!

Which is maybe why they are credible and other scientists are not? Which was my point.

Now, I KNOW you've not read ALL thos papers; I've only read three, or two and a bit to be accurate.

b. “Low cloud properties influenced by cosmic rays” N D Marsh & H Svensmark Physical Review

Letters 85 (2000) p. 5004-5007

Documents how galactic cosmic rays can influence the earth’s low cloud cover and how

this in turn would impact the mean temperature.

I quite liked this one until I read this http://www.geo.umass.edu/faculty/bradley/sun2004.pdf

d. “The sun’s role in climate variations” D Rind Science Vol. 296 (2002) p. 673-677

Provides a general overview of the sun’s impact on the earth’s climate through the Little

Ice Age, as well as through geological times, and the complexity in establishing the

solar/climate link.

But DOESN'T really do anything to dispute AGW. Which if you didn't just C&P the links you would have known.

e. “Solar influence on the spatial structure of the NAO during the winter 1900-1999” Kunihiko Kodera

Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 30 (2003) 1175 doi:10.1029/2002GL016584

North Atlantic oscillation is shown to be strongly modulated by high & low solar activity as

identified through sunspot cycles.

Errr... this is what happens when you weigh your references rather than read them... this would support or attack AGW how exactly? Look at the dates.

But then you got this entire list from that 'friends of science' website (again without citation) and took their word for it. So much for reading primary research (oh, Soon et. al isn't primary reasearch, it's a meta-analysis, although they can be very useful).

Rather than hurl insults at Abaddon or anyone else in an attempt to "win a debate" I would rather point the finger at the real culprits in this controversy.

I agree, thus your outbursts above ("If you are ... or even Claude Allegre?") seem contradictory as you make out I am saying something I am not saying. That's called lying. I play nice if you play nice, okay?

And yet Abaddon (and others) has the nerve to say those of us who say "the jury is still out", or due to the shenanigans we are as yet unconvinced and skeptical, are acting like JW's!

No, I have the nerve to state and document;

• the claims you've repeated are poor science, pretty much until this last post of yours, and then only one paper which doesn't disprove AGW
    • that when you do drag up some nonsense that's shown to be nonsense you avoid admitting it - those ten pionts, eh?

I simply state;

• the latest reports give a 90% probability to AGW,
    • that most AGW cynicism is junk science doubted by most credible scientists and is politically or financialy motivated
    • (maybe not on this thread) there are a few interesting theories which might turn everything on its ear (like the GCR one, which you deserve full credit for bringing to the table as no other AGW cynic on the thread got close to a credible doubt).
    What is next? A speech telling us that if "some of you like to do personal study into the bible the actual scientific papers on the subject that you should leave the deep study up to the FDS likes of myself because I have a keen understanding of these issues (go on....ask Shutterbug!). And if you just cannot help but be absorbed in these studies then you should think about getting a hobby! (sound familiar?)

*sigh* Blue collar bias. If someone with no knowledge of carpentry and no experience of carpentry told a carpenter they were doing it wrong (in a way that would make said carpenter cringe at the lack of knowledge it displayed), most people would agree said person was arrogant and unrealistic. If someone with no knowledge of science and no experience of science told a skilled scientist they were doing it wrong (in a way that would make said scientist cringe at the lack of knowledge it displayed), for some reason the remarks of the person with no knowledge or experience have to be weighed as being of equal quality. How silly.

Every one has an equal right to an opinion Frank. It doesn't mean every opinion is equal in quality.

You yourself have shown several times a simple lack of effort has made you make claims a little further study (which you are more than capable of doing but didn't) shows are not well supported, to be polite. I am not saying there is a qualified elite that no one can join; I am asking why some people feel qualified to discuss topics (normally by declaring large numbers of scientists are wrong and a few are right) they clearly don't know well, and aren't prepared to spend time studying.

Anyone can join a discussion like this credibly if they put the effort in. I have seen posters on this board who have vastly increased their knowledge because they recognised being able to form and defend a credible opinion about complicated subjects takes more than Google, or finding a web site sympathetic to their opinion to crib links from. Everyone does that to an extent, it's being able to seperate wheat from chaff that requires personal study.

The so called skeptical scientists should not be shunned for expressing doubts, especially if they have qualifications in the fields they are writing/critiquing.

They should be criticised for poor quality in their research and for unsupported claims, be they pro AGW or anti AGW.

What makes the JW religion a bad religion is that they do not allow dissent or debate, even doubt is not tolerated. If you were to get one of the GB to go on TV to publicly debate with say Alan Feurbacher (that would never happen but if it did) they would storm off the set instead of answering embarassing questions just like David Suzuki did.

I'm not supporting Susuki, I am attacking poor quality of AGW cynicism, and think I've made my point.

I am glad you've shown more willingness to actually discuss the issue than others. The GCR stuff was a good find on your part and is really quite possibly credible, maybe; from what I understand there's more definative research due later this year, but I can't find my reference to it...

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I'm going to bow out for a while, catch up on my reading, you know.

Here's the new book I just picked up:

BA- doing his research.

P.S. ROTFLMAO!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Obviously the sound of one hand clapping is Brother Apostate patting himself on the back...

You are a troll; you bring nothing constructive to this discussion and seem to revel in personal attacks for the sake of personal attacks.

In your big-headed fantasy where you see yourself calling me to account for my behaviour you actually end-up going way beyond anything I do. What a hypocrite. You claim you treat me like this because of how I behave, and then treat posters like hillary who play nice far better than me the same way

The fact you treat other posters, like hillary (who plays nice far better than I) the same way as me indicates any claim you're trying to teach me a lesson is lie. This is all about you.

Why not let the moderators do their job, if they consider I go too far, or do you think you're better than them?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Abbadon,

An interesting rebuttal.

If you were willing to do the presently impossible and assess how much of the present global warming is due to the input of mankind as opposed to part of a natural cycle, how would you assess this?

I was a mountaineer and did much climbing in the Alpine and Tyrol regions in Europe. I collect mountain maps and have many maps of these regions from the 1780's onward. I have a particularly interesting mapping from 1879 which shows the progess of the Mandron Lobbia glacier in the Tyrol from 1820-1870. By 1870 the glacier had almost halfed in size from its previous mapping in 1820. This was not unusual for that time, when many glaciers in Europe, North America and the North of South America show similar shrinkage.This was obviously as the result of some sort of natural cycle.

I am very much on the left of environmentalism, and part of my work often entails setting up not-for-profit charities, benefit concerts etc, for environmental causes and of course I am out of step with my friends on this issue, who seem to believe that the majority of the Global Warming issue is due to the input of mankind.

Global Warming is s serious issue and whatever has been responsible for it, man or beast, we are going to have to live through some difficult times. I am very open to persuation by fact, unlike some of the posters on this thread, but have so far been unconvinced by the evidence that man has more than a minimal influence on the matter. I am not interested in which particular scientist believes what, as any on both sides of the map may be tainted by a political agenda. I would be interested in scientific evidence that concludes that matter though, and so far most of it seems circumstantial and anecdotal, at least to me, a layman. I am an artist not a scientist though I am not beyond being taught anew. So keep them coming!

On another matter.

I would not worry too much about BA. He has proved to be a gibbering liar, which is forgivable; trolling for reactions, which is also forgivable; with the intellectual gifts of a garden gnome, which is forgivable if it were as a result of birthing issues; lacking wit, which is all too common on these Boards and thus forgivable, and a complete bore, which is always unforgivable.

Best regards - HS

PS - Contrary to Brother Gnome's accusation, Gyles and I are not the same person.

• frozen one
    frozen one

Interesting about your glacier maps, Hillary. I tend to look at the current warming period as being part of the natural cycle also. I spent a few years working in Antarctica back in the 90's and am and will always be interested in Antarctic research. I recently read in the Antarctic Sun an article about mummified elephant seals found on the beaches of the Ross Sea. This was a significant find as the presence of elephant seals indicates that the area was much warmer than it is today. The kicker is that the mummified remains are estimated to be 1,000 - 2,500 years old. That isn't all that long ago. (If anyone is interested you can download the pdf at http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/2006-2007/documents/02-04-2007_antarcticsun.pdf and scroll down to page 7. The article is called "Extinct Hunt - Vanished elephant seal colonies indicate Ross Ice Shelf survived warmer climate in recent past.") What one has to understand though is that the human caused climate change fold are not interested in what happened to your glaciers or why elephant seals had a colony in the now frozen Ross Sea. As Abaddon wrote in one of his replies in this thread, "this time."

I've noticed a trend among the man caused warming advocates. Anytime someone presents research that doesn't agree with the man caused global warming proof they tend to dismiss the research by attacking the researcher. That scientist is from the wrong discipline, this researcher is funded by big business, that project was funded by big oil or coal or the auto industry or whatever boogeyman that springs to their mind. It is classic a "shoot the messenger" approach. What that group fails to remember, or perhaps what they are not aware of, is that one of the nastiest, most corrupt, vile corporations in US history played a vital role in starting the whole human caused warming movement. That company is now bankrupt and gone and the criminal CEO of the firm died before he was sent to prison for his crimes. The name was Enron and the CEO was Ken Lay.

Ken Lay recognized from the beginning of the global warming debate that a huge profit potential for Enron existed if it were "proved" that the warming was caused by humans in general and carbon dioxide in particular. Lay had access to the Clinton White House and was an advisor to the President. Ken Lay helped the Clinton administration develop positions for the Kyoto negotiations. Some of the positions that Lay pushed were:

- The official position of the US government is global warming is human caused.

- Carbon dioxide is a pollutant and should be regulated.

- Developing nations would be exempt from carbon emission caps.

How would Enron reap huge benefits if global warming became a human caused issue? Enron was in the natural gas business. If carbon dioxide was declared a pollutant and regulated coal fired electrical utilities would switch to natural gas. The result would be an increase in demand for natural gas and the price would rise. Enron was also in the pipeline industry and the more natural gas transported via Enron's pipeline system meant more profit. Enron was a major player in alternative energy being the owner of the largest wind farm in the world. Enron also was a co-owner of the largest solar energy array with British Petroleum. In addition Enron owned several natural gas fired electical utilities. If carbon dioxide were declared a pollutant and regulated, Enron was in a position to to claim scores of carbon credits that would have to be purchased by coal fired "polluters" when they exeded their allocated carbon caps. Enron's excess carbon credits would be a cash cow. Enron's desire to see emerging nations exempted from the warming debate stemmed from the fact that Enron had invested billions in places like India and former Soviet Bloc nations building coal fired power plants and carbon caps would be detrimental for those investments.

The wheels fell off the wagon, so to speak, for Enron when George Bush became President. Although the Bush Administration initially supported the carbon cap concept, in the end Bush decided that carbon caps would cause an unacceptable drag on the US economy. Ken Lay was floored by the Bush decision. Not long after Bush's decision, Enron's various frauds became unconcealable, Enron collapsed, Ken Lay and his cronies were accused and convicted for their crimes, and Lay died and went to hell. The funny part is that many people from the green side accused the Bush administration of being an Enron puppet while conviently forgetting that Enron was a crucial player promoting the global warming movement.

For those who believe global warming is caused by humans (and lets be honest, the primary cause of global warming is Americans, isn't it?) and dismiss contrary evidence as being tainted, why shouldn't your proof be subject to the same scepticism given the very root of the global warming movement was driven by a profit seeking energy company? I know that many advocates of Kyoto and global warming will read the above and consider me delusional. I ask that you do a quick google search of "enron kyoto" and read the results. Many of the articles are 5 years old. Apparently the media did not see the worth of pursuing the story. My own conclusion is that the global warming movement has little to do with drowning polar bears and a lot to do with expanding power for politicians and skyrocketing profits for firms that are positioned to exploit the guilt and fear associated with the percieved destruction of Mother Earth. It is truely shameless.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    PS - Contrary to Brother Gnome's accusation, Gyles and I are not the same person.

And yet why is it we've never seen the two of you together at the same time?

Wait a minute. When I see HS post, Abaddon is gone but when Abaddon posts, HS is missing.

hhhmmmm ...

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

hillary

I don't think your maps contain any data that refutes AGW, or even data that is unknown by the AGW lobby.

Thus the question hangs on v.4 of the UN report, which is where the debate is at, and newer papers which can call into quesion that report's conclusions of a 90% liklihood. Or mitigate it, like the report disscussed in this thread which indicates AGW might only be 65% of the total currnt trend. One thing seems logically certain; you cannot dump billions of tonnes of CO2 in the atmosphere in a few decades, increasing it by a third (never mind the far larger increase in methane) without it having some effect. Quntification is anothr issue.

If AGW is as unsupported by the facts as some claim, then that's an easy task. Unless there IS a as yet poorly understood mechanism (like GCR and clouds), looking at primary research, looking for other documeted forcings that could explain current trends, I honestly think there is strong evidence current trends are well over half due to AGW.

I think sometimes the problem is that AGW cynics (as in presuppositionally cynical to the topic often due to political leanings) vision of the results of AGW in their lifetime as as inaccurate and distorted as many of their claims (like the ten that Frank quoted and dropped when he realised he'd been fooled by his source).

AGW in our lifetimes (barring major leaps in life extension) is fairly mild; thus the 'what's bad with warmer weather and the beach geting closer' jokes. Some climate shifts, small sea-level rises, developed world suffers less than develping word due to geographical accident and the financial clout of developed countries to build solutions (like the Dutch dykes keeping the North Sea out), but not end of the world as we know it by any streach of the imagination.

Those relying on the more sensational lobbyistic (of either pro or anti bent) sources of data seem to think AGW in our lifetimes is far far worse, so are protesting that something no-one credible says will happen in our lifetimes won't happen in our lifetimes. There is a certain amount of tilting at windmills going on.

The whole point about AGW is that if we are the cause, and we don't act now, then it can get very bad indeed. East Antarctic Ice Sheet (due to geographical accident the only ice sheet that is gaining mass from increased snowfall due to a rise in tempertures) holds he equivalent of 150ft rise in sea levels. If that started melting...

Of course, the fact that shutting down the UK entirely (for example) would reduce carbon emissions by an amount that the growth of India and China would make up in two years highlights the importance of getting the developed world on board. Without that there's no point.

frozen one

Interesting about your glacier maps, Hillary. I tend to look at the current warming period as being part of the natural cycle also. I spent a few years working in Antarctica back in the 90's and am and will always be interested in Antarctic research. I recently read in the Antarctic Sun an article about mummified elephant seals found on the beaches of the Ross Sea. This was a significant find as the presence of elephant seals indicates that the area was much warmer than it is today. The kicker is that the mummified remains are estimated to be 1,000 - 2,500 years old. That isn't all that long ago. (If anyone is interested you can download the pdf at http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/2006-2007/documents/02-04-2007_antarcticsun.pdf and scroll down to page 7. The article is called "Extinct Hunt - Vanished elephant seal colonies indicate Ross Ice Shelf survived warmer climate in recent past.") What one has to understand though is that the human caused climate change fold are not interested in what happened to your glaciers or why elephant seals had a colony in the now frozen Ross Sea. As Abaddon wrote in one of his replies in this thread, "this time."

Yay. Proper research and good point. I don't agree with the characterisation of the 'human caused climate change fold' as it is not monolithic, any more than the anti-AGW fold is. The suggestion they don't care what happens to certain glaciers is pretty unsupported if one goes to the corpus of research (unless I am mistaken, in which case I'd like to know), even if certain portions of the 'human caused climate change fold' give science as bad a name as some of the opposite pole (no pun intended).

I've noticed a trend among the man caused warming advocates. Anytime someone presents research that doesn't agree with the man caused global warming proof they tend to dismiss the research by attacking the researcher. That scientist is from the wrong discipline, this researcher is funded by big business, that project was funded by big oil or coal or the auto industry or whatever boogeyman that springs to their mind. It is classic a "shoot the messenger" approach.

This does happen, but speaking personally, I feel IF the argument being put forward is poor, then looking at the history of the person making the argument is quite pertinent. Someone who has been involved in good quality science their entire career and is free of obvious beholdness to funding groups is reasonably a more reliable source than someone who has gone against concensuses in the past and in the light of passing years was wrong then, and who seems beholden to those funding their researches.

To suggest such analysis of credibility is fallacious is to suggest an expert witness whose past testimony has been disregarded or disproven in retrials, and who had financial motivations to make such arguments, is as credible an expert witness as one with a comparatively unblemished record and far less evidence of financial motivation in the formation of their opinion.

What that group fails to remember, or perhaps what they are not aware of, is that one of the nastiest, most corrupt, vile corporations in US history played a vital role in starting the whole human caused warming movement. That company is now bankrupt and gone and the criminal CEO of the firm died before he was sent to prison for his crimes. The name was Enron and the CEO was Ken Lay.

Actually, I think there is a difference between a corrupt corporation seeing potential for profit in a market where AGW was accepted and a corrupt corporation totally fabricating evidence around the world that supports AGW.

I have attempted whenever I cast doubts on a researcher to do so from a scientific perspective as well as one of vested interest. If the science is good the motivation is not relevent. I did as you suggeted and find this quote illustrtive of what I often find (and have tried to document in this thread);

I suggest you look out the window to see if there is any catastrophe happening. While looking, you might check to see which ocean is rising. Also look upwards - exactly where is the much discussed methane cloud? And perhaps someone might gently explain how heavier-than-air car emissions can make it 5-19 miles up where most weather gets to be generated.

http://www.predictweather.com/articles.asp?ID=36

After detailing Eron's involvement, the person writing this;

1/ Asks what ocean is rising, which is just fallacious baring in mind the credible predictions of the rate of sea-level rise due to AGW. It implies this should be far more rapid and observable than is actually claimed.

2/ Asks about methane clouds, again, more fallacy.

3/ Asks how car emissions can get high in the atmosphere, which indicates a jaw dropping lack of sceintific comprehension.

In other words, good science might be supported by vested interests, but that doesn't stop it being good science. The poor science and fallacious argumentation on that site is typical of many by the anti-AGW lobby; I've shown similar flaws on other anti-AGW sites cited by others in this thread. I've yet seen someone document that pro-AGW sites cn be similarly chracterised; as far as I can determine thus far the gap in scientific credibility of material by such 'fan sites' is similar to that seen between Evolutionist and Creationist 'fan-sites'. If I am wrong it is easy to show me.

Bad science is ALWAYS bad sceince, no matter who supports it.

As I have been saying from the begining, let's talk about the science.

It is also interesting to note that Enron clearly DIDN'T want caps put on developing countries, which is an argument so contrary to controlling AGW as to defy belief, and indictive they had a far different agenda to the AGW lobby even if they used the same science and funded it for their own reasons. Thus part of the core of the 'Enron made-up AGW' argument is 'rather' flawed.

For those who believe global warming is caused by humans (and lets be honest, the primary cause of global warming is Americans, isn't it?) and dismiss contrary evidence as being tainted, why shouldn't your proof be subject to the same scepticism given the very root of the global warming movement was driven by a profit seeking energy company?

Sceptic away, but let's talk about the science. If I have missed the really riviting anti-AGW science out there, show me.

My own conclusion is that the global warming movement has little to do with drowning polar bears and a lot to do with expanding power for politicians and skyrocketing profits for firms that are positioned to exploit the guilt and fear associated with the percieved destruction of Mother Earth. It is truely shameless.

But this conclusion is one based purelyon skepticism, and not on the relative value of the scientific argument, which is the debat I have been trying to encourage.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/2/25/22326/7454

Nice bit about the Enron and AGW argument...

... like I say, talk about the science...

• Mary
    Mary

If anyone doubts global warming, you should come to Toronto.....last Monday we set a new record low: Minus 40 F. This Monday coming, it's supposed to be about 50 above F.While I'm not complaining (after the freezing cold we've had here for the last 6 weeks) it seems to be going from one extreme to another and is happening with alot more frequency than in years past. I'm in the middle of watching "An Inconvenient Truth". Very interesting so far.

• Frank75
    Frank75

Abaddon:

As anyone could see the two posts in response to your refutation are in order of appearance in your post. I explained why I am responding the way i have, and yet you continually taunt me to respond to the 10 myths which is well down the page from where I am with your response so far. Surely someone with your command of Science can grasp that.

Dr. Hugh Ellsaesser of the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory,

LOL. This guy believes in global warming, but believes human produced CO2 is special and that we should just sit tight and enjoy the ride. So, you like his opinion about CFC's but NOT about Global Warming?

I believe in Global Warming!! I just don't believe in the Athanasian Creed of it. I simply believe until I can be convinced otherwise that the Global Warming of the past century, even centuries can be explained by other means than those theorised by Anthropogenic Global Warming as it relates to CO2.

The above comment is the type of silliness I referred to about debating with you. You continue to confirm those predictions. You pull Baliunas' views about CFC's as a means to discredit her. Why does her opinion about an off topic matter become relevant? If I accept the argumentation as whole in the Soon and Baliunas paper under discussion, it does not mean I embrace every, letter, vowel, coma and facet of it. Nor does it mean I want to become a Buddhist or Kabbalist just because they may be such either. So how does it begin to mean I embrace her views on CFC's? We are not talking about CFC's. How ridiculous can one person be?

Then what about you? Ellsaesser disputes CFC's as well but believes in Global Warming, so then you must accept his view of CFC. So shut up!

Someone who ignores a consensus so deep and so well evidently supported the originators of the theory get Noble Prizes had better have some extremely clear and unambiguous science behind them. She doesn't.

Hitler was Time's Man of The Year in 1938! I doubt anyone but a skin head would agree with that now, but back in 1938 only a minority was not impressed! So how can you believe that a "deep consensus" (no references cited by you to support such) and a Nobel prize winner makes them 100% and eternally right. Views on CFC' are argued to be the present truth, but science may be burning those Nobel prize winners in effigy one day and hailing Baliunas as a prophetess if further studies vindicate her views. That is why you need to stay focused on the topic. Which in my view is related to the title which deals with not Global Warming so much as the Hysteria surrounding it.

National Geographic comments on Nobel show it is far from being the last word in matters of who is wrong and right in science.

In 11 different years, Einstein was nominated only to be rejected. One Nobel committee member wroteEinstein must never receive a Nobel Prize even if the entire world demands it. The entire world did demand it, and Einstein got the 1921 Nobel — for his contributions to physics and for his 1905 paper on the photoelectric effect. He showed that light behaves not only as a wave but also as a stream of particles, or quanta. The committe directed Einstein not to mention relativity in his acceptance lecture [emphasis added] . He did so anyway. — Heidi Schultz

Even your virtuous Wikipedia lists the Nobel controversies of the past. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_controversies and heaven knows that human consensus in general does not lay any claim to being right even a small fraction of the time.

Kyoto? Unfortunately the only way the USA could keep up with Kyoto initiatives that require a cut in emissions of 25% by 2012 is to build more nuclear plants for starters.

And this is a bad thing why?

Who is playing fast and loose with quotations?

Nowhere did I say or even imply nuclear power was "a bad thing" and nor do I believe that. Ontario has nuclear generated power (35% of the grid) and I draw from two plants in my local grid, as well as a Wind power installation within minutes of my home. My wife and enjoy driving among them as they are quite elegant and beautiful in many respects. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however.

What I said later and you know it was this:

Likewise the USA will need to take the biggest lead as we North Americans must reduce CO2 (according to Kyoto) by 25% by 2012. That means the US would need to find a replacement to fossil fuels energy for a 1/4 of a nations consumption while the nation is growing in population simultaneously. You Americans will need to build hydro, solar, wind, tidal and/or nuclear capacity to take 30-5% of the domestic power utility while taking coal, oil and other CO2 positive utilities off line....and you have 5 years to do it!

Do you know how many years it took to build the Hoover Dam? American side of the Niagara Falls power project? etc? Are you aware that the US hasn't built a nuclear power plant in over 20 years because no one wants one near their town? No one wants windmills in their backyards either (although I don't mind myself) Are you aware of the current federal deficit of the USA?

What I pointed out was merely the fact that in order to meet the 5 year deadline, you guys as well as us Canadians to some degree, would need to replace CO2 positive utility with "hydro, solar, wind, tidal and/or nuclear capacity to take 30-35% " of the void left or risk being international outlaws according to David Suzuki : http://www.canadianvalues.ca/audio/Oakley_Suzuki_clip_1.wav

Greenpeace UK under the caption "Friday the 13th" lists all the reasons Nuclear Power is not an alternative they will support to help Global Warming. http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/fridaythe13th/facts.htm

But building more nuclear power stations will dramatically increase the risk of a catastrophic terrorist attack, which could claim millions of lives.

UK nuclear sites are not built to withstand a deliberate crash by a jumbo jet full of highly explosive aviation fuel, and an attack on Sellafield could dwarf the consequences of the Chernobyl accident in 1986.

The point I was making was that whatever sites are chosen for these Nuclear Reactors, it will take 20 years just to remove the protesters who chain themselves to the bulldozers! It is an easy thing to say, but another thing to do. Like when the elders pass around the pieces of paper to see if they have enough money to build a DomKing Hall. They tally it up and announce, "we have enough to build a hall!" Then when it comes time to collect.....well that is another story.

The Hoover dam took 5 years to complete between 1930-35 and 112 lives. However survey of the site was started in 1922. Produces 2000 mega watts. I do not know if my facts are peer reviewed but they can be checked here http://www.sunsetcities.com/hoover-dam/faqs-00.html

Lake Mead takes up over 640 sq km's (247 sq mi)

Hoover and dams in general have their environmental price tags as well. Again not peer reviewed : http://projects.olin.edu/ahs/HOT2004/CarRamrod/hoover_env.htm

Sierra club : http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/media/item.shtml?x=905

Perhaps Sierra club is against Hydro Electric power because of a bias towards Encana who is also a sponsor and major stake holder in Alberta Tar sands and NATURAL GAS. (Look up their annual report list of donors) I digress!

My comments on this topic in particular was dealing with the reality of finding suitable locations for this carbon neutral power generation, getting local government and environmental approvals, buying and surveying land, engineering designs, financing, construction and completion all takes time that frankly is not there. People will be debating having any of these facilities in their backyards until the cows come home. Putting Wind and Solar projects in uninhabited areas will still bring protests from environmentalists groups as well as aboriginal peoples.

The Nanticoke Coal burning power plant in Ontario is roughly 4000 mega watts. The footprint is very small compared to fields of Solar panels and thousands of acres of Wind Power Generators. Again I do not object to these green energy sources, but merely point out that they pose problems as well, mostly of acceptance by the community. If CO2 is not contributing in a major way or not at all, then the existing power plants do not need to be scrapped, rather they need updating to conform with standards that benefit all parties.

Now that I have explained what I really meant/said about alternative energy sources, it raises why I point out the Encana relationship with both Sierra Club and David Suzuki. Although brothers in arms such as Abaddon scoff at the idea of them being in bed with big oil, possibly believing that the financial donations are a deliberate plant to discredit the advocates of Global Warming by CO2 "Climate change" an obvious connection can be overlooked. My point is that all of these conspiracy theories of collusion and secret agendas cut both way. Political adds showing one candidates childhood indiscretions is countered with adds attacking the other candidates pot use in high school. What does any of that have to do with the issues?

One alternative scenario to Coal Power is to convert those utilities to Natural Gas. It is argued quietly that this is a good intermediate alternative by cutting CO2 emissions by 45% (1/2). (Hey this is even mentioned at Wikipedia! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Gas) Ontarios power grid consists of a small percentage of Coal Power generations (7546 MW at time of my data source or 24%), I think it is either 17% or 20% now. Changing that percentage over to Natural gas which is lumped into our grid breakdown with Oil, will only give a marginal reduction. I am not aware of all of the arguments for this trade off, but I am aware that domesticly available Natural Gas is becoming scarse so the overall benefits debate continues.

Frank75 also said in conjuction with the above on Nuclear and other alternate power generation the following

Lets replace the cars then to Carbon neutral technology as well. 204,000,000 cars on the road in the USA alone (2003). Getting those gas guzzling vehicles off the road would go along way to helping the US reach its 25% target by 2012. Who is going to pay for all of those Prias'? What will we do with the old vehicles?

It seems that while everyone is in a hurry to point the finger at those who A) believe Global Warming is likely natural B) due to not trusting the hype are undecided C) Deny Global Warming or CLimate change D) Can support a contrarian view with science; that they all must be in bed with the oil companies.

What about the car companies? A demanding public along with Government intervention (the same governments who are rethinking AGW, Kyoto and IPCC myths) has just succeeded in forcing the auto makers to construct safer, better built and longer lasting vehicles (despite our digression into gas guzzlers). However removing fossil fuels from the basket is not going to hurt Auto makers one bit. In fact, forcing governments to mothball the 400,000,000 cars on the road world wide before their life is up will be a bonanza to the worlds auto makers. Lets face it, they don't give a flying cats petuti what engine they put in to a car, as long as someone buys it. Sure they would need to retool, redesign and develop some new technologies to come online quickly but that is not a problem as most technology is waiting in the wings. An arguemnt could have been made in the 50's, 60's and possibly 70's for Auto maker reluctance in such an initiative, however now is a different matter.

That is a pretty strong lobby.

I am working on your 10 myths challenge

Frank75

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit