Global Warming Hysteria

by metatron 262 Replies latest jw friends

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

FYI,

I’m once again going to state my reason for the bulk of my participation in this thread.

Prerequisites:

1. An understanding of logical and formal fallacies

(a logical fallacy or a formal fallacy is a pattern of reasoning which is always or at least most commonly wrong. This is due to a flaw in the structure of the argument which renders the argument invalid. A formal fallacy is contrasted with an informal fallacy, which has a valid logical form, but is false due to one or more of its premises being false.)

References:

http://onegoodmove.org/fallacy/welcome.htm

http://www.virtuescience.com/logicalfallacies.html

2. Reading comprehension is called for (the complex cognitive process involving the intentional interaction between reader and text to extract meaning.)

Armed with the above, you’ll understand the points I make below, and throughout this thread. Without both of the above, you will miss the point.

This time I’ll leave names out, I’ll use letters instead:

F

and others post peer reviewed scientific citations that illuminate the reasons why Global Warming Hysteria is an accurate description of the current state.

A

replies to F’s post using ad hominem fallacies, guilt by association, appeal to force, prejudicial language, appeal to popularity, hasty generalization, fallacy of exclusion, causal fallacies, straw man, fallacies of ambiguity, fallacies of limited scope and limited depth, and other fallacies on the scientific sources of the citations.

B

does not enter the debate, but rather, points out where A has committed the above logical fallacies, as well as pointing out the demonstrable fact that A is full of hot air.

H

joins the fray, demonstrates a lack of reading comprehension, ignorant of the logical fallacies committed by A, and clouds the issue.

A

repeats his logically flawed "debate" style with F, and, in addition, assails B. One can only come to the conclusion that either A is so narcissistic that (i) A will not admit error and learn from mistakes, (ii) A actually does not understand what fallacies are and why they need to be avoided in debate, (iii) A does not possess the mental faculties to understand the citations, (iv) A is still heavily indoctrinated in the JW cult mindset, or (v) some or all of the previous conclusions

It should be crystal clear that if B points out that A committed logical fallacies in his "debate", this is not to be construed as an "ad hominem" attack on A. Otherwise, no one could ever criticize a "debater" for using logical fallcies.

BA- Comprehends what he reads, understands why fallacious arguments don’t equate to real debate, call’s ‘em as he sees ‘em.

PS- If you don’t get it now, you (probably) never will.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BA,

You forget the part where poster BA joins the thread by posting a long list of ad hominem attacks on poster A and then denies having done so to poster B, despite the post of poster BA being a matter of public record. A puzzling conundrum which indicates perhaps, that you can take the boy out of the Kingdom Hall, but you cannot take the Kingdom Hall out of some boys.

As a matter of fact you break so many prerequisites ( including ad hominem, logical fallacy and straw man argumentation ) of your own requirements to post on this thread, that you should by rights just bugger off.

You are full of hot air and little more.

HS

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

HS,

As I stated:

PS- If you don’t get it now, you (probably) never will.

BA- Stands by what he posted

PS- HS has no reading comprehension, that is clear for the world to see.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BA,

Your contributions, have as I have noted on numerous occasions in this thread amounted to nil content. You have repeatedly refused to comment on the science that Abbadon posted on the subject and instead attempt to exonerate yourself from having posted numerous ad hominem comments attacking Abbadon as your main post on the subject.

There is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, as anybody who has posted on the Board over the years will evidence. I know a blow-hard when I read one, and you are just so.

You are just 'trolling' on the this thread. Do not be surprised if you find your posting privileges limited, not that the reraders will miss much if this happens. You are new to this Board and perhaps do not understand what happens in these circumstances.

Now, grow up!

HS

• metatron
    metatron

http://www.umich.edu/news/index.html?DysonWinCom05

Freeman Dyson - professor emeritus, physicist connected with the Manhattan project, lecturer

and critic of strategic bombing in WW2 ( he said it was ineffective and little more than a suicide

mission) expresses "heresy" about global warming.

metatron

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Metatron,

Great article. You've just got to appreciate where Freeman Dyson is coming from!

BA- Lovin it!

P.S.- Unlike some JWD posters, BA believes JWD moderators have great reading comprehension, so, no worries!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Metatron,

Some of the links you have posted are interesting, though I think you are scraping the barrel with the last one.

Given that his comments seem to form the structure of a lecture, perhaps his lack of presenting any scientific evidence for his views may be forgiven, but in the context of a scientific requirement for the basis of this thread it lacks credibility.

I happen to agree with all three of his 'heresies' by the way. The last two being more predictive in nature than his main one - the one where he disagrees with the current science of the majority but presents to evidence as to why.

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BA,

Great article. You've just got to appreciate where Freeman Dyson is coming from!

Given the subject of this thread, what did you find contained in the article that was scientifically substansive, apart from an opinion which anybody, layman or scientist can have?

Give us the benefit of your reading comprehension....lol

HS

• Frank75
    Frank75

I forgot to mention a recent study about Cosmic Rays as a Forcing, even a significant one and their formerly theorised connection to Earths Climate.

Here we can see that so far Wikipedia has not moved to discredit the prestigious "Proceedings of the Royal Society A" which published the research. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proceedings_of_the_Royal_Society

Yet!

Here is an article on Fox News (not my favorite source) who acknowledge that even though this research is not a smoking gun, it deserves some attention, but has received little media attention.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,220341,00.html

Svensmark has put together a book to further explain his research which will be released later this year. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840468157/junksciencecom

Experimental evidence for the role of ions in particle nucleation under atmospheric conditions

Henrik Svensmark AFF1 , Jens Olaf P. Pedersen AFF1 , Nigel D. Marsh AFF1 , Martin B. Enghoff AFF1 , Ulrik I. Uggerhøj AFF1 AFF2

AFF1 Centre for Sun-Climate Research, Danish National Space Centre, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
    AFF2 Institute of Physics and Astronomy, University of Aarhus, 8000 Aarhus, Denmark

Abstract:

Experimental studies of aerosol nucleation in air, containing trace amounts of ozone, sulphur dioxide and water vapour at concentrations relevant for the Earth's atmosphere, are reported. The production of new aerosol particles is found to be proportional to the negative ion density and yields nucleation rates of the order of 0.1–1cm -3 s -1 . This suggests that the ions are active in generating an atmospheric reservoir of small thermodynamically stable clusters, which are important for nucleation processes in the atmosphere and ultimately for cloud formation.

Frank75

• metatron
    metatron

Understood, HS. It is just a lecture. However, I feel it is good to show that respectable scientists

can doubt global warming theories - and I feel Dyson is just such an example. His analysis about

WW2 bombing was brilliant but politically incorrect in the 1940's.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit