LOVE, ALTRUISM & EVOLUTION

by Dansk 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dark angle
    dark angle

for me altruism doesn't always connote that you sacrifice your life for others as the GREATEST moral act possible. simple deeds of giving when timely is good enough, words spoken with consideration of others s enough, helping others in their endeavors without irritating you in other ways is good enough. thats one my simple meaning of altruism and love.

• Terry
    Terry
    for me altruism doesn't always connote that you sacrifice your life for others as the GREATEST moral act possible.

Read em' and weep!

The word "altruism" (derived from Frenchautre "another", in its turn derived from Latinalter "other") was coined by Auguste Comte, the French founder of positivism, in order to describe the ethical doctrine he supported. He believed that individuals had a moral obligation to serve the interest of others or the "greater good" of humanity. Comte says, in his Catechisme Positiviste, that "[the] social point of view cannot tolerate the notion of rights, for such notion rests on individualism. We are born under a load of obligations of every kind, to our predecessors, to our successors, to our contemporaries. After our birth these obligations increase or accumulate, for it is some time before we can return any service.... This ["to live for others"], the definitive formula of human morality, gives a direct sanction exclusively to our instincts of benevolence, the common source of happiness and duty. [Man must serve] Humanity, whose we are entirely." As the name of the ethical doctrine is "altruism," doing what the ethical doctrine prescribes has also come to be referred to by the term "altruism" — serving others through placing their interests above one's own.
  • proplog2
    proplog2

Dansk:

Has anyone given you an adequate explanation yet? Or have you left the building?

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

Dansk:

Again, I am not disputing that evolution happens and has been tested and proven to be a law of nature....I am simply pointing out that it is regarded as fact but is in actuality a scientific theory. You seem to think that because I am adhering to the scientific method's definitions of theories and facts, that I am somehow disputing that evolution occurs...this is not the case. Evolution does occur. That does not make it a scientific fact.

• Terry
    Terry

Has anyone given you an adequate explanation yet? Or have you left the building?

Maybe Dansk is out rescuing puppies? (Of course, it is at considerable personal risk!)

• dark angle
    dark angle

Auguste Comte's beliefs about altruism is considered now by many as extreme. unfortunately he was the first to coined such word. i stand corredted terry. ive read several sites about altruism, particularly this site caught my attention: http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=altruism&gwp=16

• Terry
    Terry

(How does one identify a "dark angle"? Is it a reflex or obtuse?)'''

Auguste Comte's beliefs about altruism is considered now by many as extreme. unfortunately he was the first to coined such word. i stand corredted terry. ive read several sites about altruism,

This altruism of Auguste Comte caught on like crazy because it is extremely useful for those who would control others. Humanity seems to be utterly lacking in self-confidence, self-acceptance and self-esteem to the point it desires to earn kudos from the "group" even if it costs them their individuality and personal freedom!!

Yipes!!

Arlington National Cemetary and the Civil War battlefields are fitting memorials to the cost of altruism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit