Facing reality about getting older

by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Not any more.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

As you all have said that’s how much trust and faith we put in the Wts ,30 years putting up with so much agro from the trumped up little Glorious ones, taken in with so many LIES. Living a life that was pleasing to the Borg and not God, now feeling the aches of later years.

KT

• greendawn
    greendawn

So many people got taken by the WTS the bait must have been really alluring and effective and think of those that spent a lifetime serving the org and have nothing in their old age not even a little pension from the fabulously wealthy mother organisation the wife of Jehovah (notice not of Christ). That's the point the promise was empty and old age and death will ensue.

However mainstream Christians never bothered about this because to them this life is a very short and transient stage and they look forward to eternal life in paradise if they make the grade that is. Their perspective is totally different, one would say they are in a way looking forward to death and release from this lost world, not to a paradise on earth. It's a more powerful and biblically correct perspective.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

Growing old, sick and dying is a reality that the Watchtower has never prepared it's followers for. Armageddon has alwaysbeen "just around the corner". It's neverbeen worthwhile for any young JW at any time in the history of the Organisation to go to college or university to pursue a career. The best, indeed the onlycareer any young Witness should pursue is regular pioneering.

That has been the Society's message to the young for the whole almost 60 years that I was in the Watchtower. I responded to it personally, setting a goal of regular pioneering as soon as I left school. I well remember an Awake from 1969, when I was 23, that stated as fact that young people would never grow old in this system of things.

As for accepting that I will grow old, I really have no choice, as I am well on my way to that now.

• Lumptard
    Lumptard
    My hope now is to be able to commit suicide before I am frail and incapacitated.

Cheers......Go out on your own terms.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    I am honestly ok with living a long life and dying of old age. But knowing I might die or be irreparably damaged at any moment kinda sucks. I try not to think about it.

Ditto here.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

As a small child, I remember praying that my parents could see me graduate from high school. That was in 1976. My parents were in the org. for over 40 years. They died a miserable death. Very Slow in a nursing home, both in a coma. I would think after so many years of faithfulness, God would allow them to go in their sleep. It still disturbs me thinking about their painful reward 5 years ago. Many of my parents friends are in their 70's and 80's, dying slowly. Many of the elders from my youth have told me they never thought they would die in this system. Some have become inactive, smoke and are waiting to die.

I feel that something will happen, not sure what. I have told my children that I and mom will eventually die. I want them to be aware of the eventuality of us all. We will get sick and die. I hope there is something positive after this. I truly believe there is. I hope I can see my children become stable successful adults, financially established. Hopefully in my 80's or so (decent health), with my children, grandchildren and GGC around me, I will pass away to another form of existence, even if it is in God's memory.

I have accepted that Living Forever, may be a dream.

• cellomould
    cellomould

just this evening i drove home imagining how proud i would be when my son graduates college. he's a little tike now...but time flies i know. i was not prepared for the emotions of the moment...i could barely see through all of the tears. we can open our eyes to life as it is... and we can open our eyes to how great it can be if we get to work on our dreams now instead of later. i will be sure to give him the opportunity to live for HIMSELF and the wisdom to be resposible enough to share himself with THE WORLD. :-)

• choosing life
    choosing life

Getting older is a challange. It all depends on your health, though. You can be young and very sick and limited. I was silly enough to believe what the jws taught about living forever on a paradise earth. Now I see it as a materialistic dream.

I look at death as a relief. No one physical has ever lived forever. So life after this must be something quite different. I think it's the separation from loved ones that we worry about. I think we will be pleasantly surprised. If there is one thing getting old has taught me, it is that we are not our physical bodies. We have such a small window to look out of in this life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit