What kind of hobbies would you like to try?

by Lady Lee 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

We were deprived of so much as JWs. Service and meeting had to come first which meant putting a lot of interests on the side - waiting for the new world when of course we would be too busy trying to convert the resurrected

I've tried many different things. Some I liked and others I realized just don't captivate me

Tried but decided I don't like enough to do it again

• carpentry just not interested enough to do it again but I did make a computer desk and a bookshelf
    • furniture reupholtery - it was fascinating to take a sofa apart and reupholster it
    • singing I like it but I just know I'm not a good singer

Tried and realized I really like it

• photography
    • photo restoration
    • computer hardware upgrading
    • silk flower arranging
    • indexing, cataloging (like the Best of),
    • knitting and crocheting (prefer knitting)
    • macramed flower pot holders - the really big double ones where you can have a lamp installed in the top layer (if I could find the materials I would do more but it seems to have gone out of fashion)
    • genealogy
    • sewing if the project is interesting enough

I know there are others but my brain is still trying to wake up.

So what about you? What have you tried? What did you discover you liked or didn't like?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

If time and money were not such a big issue, I'd like to investigate carpentry. I took a couple of shop classes in high school and was okay at it. I'd like to learn another language but again the dreaded T&M rears its ugly head. Neither one is a big desire so it's okay.

Currently I collect movies and old football games. Yeah I know, boring.

computer hardware upgrading

Hey LL, I think I need to replace the hard drive on an old Gateway computer. How hard is it? I've replaced a sound card before; is it similar to that? I mean is it sort of a plug-and-replace?

Chris

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Good Thread,

Cooking,

Gardening

Furniture making

Studying a variety of subjects, from space, to certain animals, plants,

So much to do and so little time and money.

abr

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

BT replacing a sound card and a hard drive are similar in what you physically have to do.

There are a couple of important differences though

The sound card sits in a spot that exits to the back of the CPU (the box). The hard drive sits in a bay under the CD and other disk drives.

A hard drive also has to have a tiny jumper set to master or slave drive settings so the BIOS (small program that starts the computer) can find the hard drive.

PM me for more info

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

It is more like something I wish I could do because I really suck at it. I wish I could draw. I am horrible at it! People always say keep trying you will get better w/ practice, but that is not true in my case.

But if I had the time I would invest more time in the two hobbies I love - photography and jazz (playing the clarinet).

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I would like to learn the acoustic guitar, then electric. I have no time.

I've had a cake decorating class--that was a lot of fun.

I've learned how to use my iPod and iTunes. This wasn't easy for me.

Last, I would like to brush up on my Spanish and then learn Italian. Again, the time needed is not there.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Thanks Lee. Sounds like this job requires more powers than this little wizard has! When I get the new hard drive, I'll just have the store do it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've pursued a number of interests, but there aren't enough days in the week to keep up with them all. I like to hunt, fish, camp, and hike. I used to build custom motorcycles when I was younger, but don't have the time any more. I still enjoy riding them. I turned my computer hobby into a career. I make wine, beer, and I like cooking. I enjoyed renovating my home. I'm starting to play with photography and video. I play with my bird a lot too. Bird toys are expensive, so I've started making them myself. I'm thinking of making some extra to see if there's any part time income potential in that.

W

• Xena
    Xena

I'd like to get back into bellydancing, I dropped it when I took up kickboxing because I didn't have time for both. I enjoy refinishing/restoring antiques but don't have room where I live now to do it. I want to get back into scuba diving, I quit when I realized I was pregnant with my daughter and haven't had time or money to take it back up again. I've always wanted to try skydiving.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

I have always enjoyed knitting and sewing, and have much more time for them now.

I have been doing a writing course, which is interesting, and a computer course, which was confusing to begin with, but is clearer now. I need a pc of my own to really progress with that.

I like gardening. I have a small flower garden at home, and a larger vegetable garden, so I will be spending more time in them fairly soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit