My first look at an 'apostate' site

by ThomasCovenant 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hello

Several years ago when I first started looking at tinternet I was still reticent to look at anything that may be taken as 'apostate'. So typing in 'jehovahs witnesses' was not for me just yet. However one little belief of theirs had always troubled me. So I thought one search for this won't hurt.

I typed in ''Truly I tell you today''. That was all. I was just curious as to what may come up on google. I was convinced nothing would.

But a single page site came up detailing all the instances in the Bible when Jesus allegedly said words to the effect of 'Truly I tell you' and the one instance where the NWT goes for putting the comma you know where.

I was gobsmacked. I honestly thought I must have been the only person alive who had been troubled by this.

It was a literal ' wake up, stupid! ' call. Reading this single page site (with no links as far as I remember) showed me that there were other people who actually did think similar to me. When you're sat at the meetings and some piece of nonsense was said you look around and just see dull dozy faces. Is anyone else thinking!

From that single page site I started looking at others.

Thank you to whoever put up that site.

Thomas Covenant

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

For me it was typing in Jehovah.

• ajwnm
    ajwnm

For me it was typing in "the UN and the WTB&TS"

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

For me it was reading the Bible with the help of HS and sound reasoning against foolish teachings that had to be twisted every which way and around the corner, through the woods, over the this way and then back again to see their point,

When the Bible was simple.

abr

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Abr: that makes me think of the song "Teddy Bear's Picinic":

If you go down to the woods today you're in for a BIG SURPRISE..."

Suprise! That about sums it up...

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I first went on in 1998. I was troubled a long time about what when on in Bethel in the late 70's and early 80's. I knew Ray Franz had been ousted, then DF'd along with others and couldn't understand why there was almost no acknowledgement of the 1975 fiasco which I had lived through. So I typed in the words, 'Franz" '1975" and thought... do I dare enter the name of the most high God into a search engine? I knew I'd have to narrow down my search, so I typed in "Jehovah." As I entered the site, I thought...OMG there will be no turning back and there wasn't. I learned more than I could ever have dreamed.

If I could have done something like this ten years earlier, it would have avoided a lot of problems with Clyde. By that point in his life, Clyde was about ready to give up on everything. He had stopped going to most meetings years earlier, had tried to get me to understand how he felt and I wouldn't. He didn't want to leave me or break up the family so, essentially, he went into a deep deep depression, and we seldom had any meaningful conversations.

After going on the site, our marriage began to improve drastically. I regret all the wasted years but am thankful for the happiness that we've now found.....Thank you Internet and all those who have contributed their insights.

Bonnie

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

I'm sure that the majority of us, typed our first search into an "apostate" site and waited for the bolt of lightening to flash through the window and strike us dead !!

Our son was the one who typed in UN/Watchtower and after one whole year of researching all of the hypocrisies, reading books, especially Ray Franz's books, and reading comments on this site, we came to realise that we had been stupid and gullible for over 30 years. What a waste of precious years!

We used to defend the Organisation when people implied that we were a cult, now we are out of "the box" its all so clear to us.

If only we had had the internet 30 years ago

Our thanks go to Simon for getting this site up and running.

Twinkletoe

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

For me it way typing in 607 B.C.E., that got it started for me.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The dubs got bitten by the mythical promises of the WTS and they came to rely so heavily on them they can't come round to believing that they are false. The new system the paradise the end of all suffering and even death to see the loved ones resurrected, is too good to let go off. So they are disinclined to believe the FDS is a fraud or to doubt any of their ideas.

I got out because I didn't like the dictatorial nature of their rule, they wouldn't submit themselves and their ideology to constructive criticism and everyone had to wait for them to realise that something is wrong for it to be corrected. They wouldn't accept anyone pointing it out and suggesting that it be corrected. These are demonic traits of arrogance and possessiveness.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I googled that phrase too and learned something. Jesus used the phrase "I tell you the truth" many times in the Bible so the translation, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." is the correct one. He never said "I tell you the truth today"

http://www.geocities.com/thewatchtowerstudy/truly.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit