Views of worldy folk as a witness

by fifi40 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Speaking of Goats, my aunt that had never been a witness was attending an anniversary party for my parents (I wasn't invited - I was being shunned at the time)

Most everyone there were JWs. This aunt was visiting with the family that she knew and ended up sitting next to a JW lady. The JW asked her what KH she went to. My aunt just laughed and said I don't go, I'm a Goat.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I never agreed with the whole "wordly people are terrible" thing. I always liked them better than dubs...they were more real to me. I would have never married a dub either, i knew better. I would have been stuck if I had. I needed to marry a "wordly' guy in order to free myself.

• DoubleVision
    DoubleVision

Hi fifi40

What were your views of 'people of the world and why?

Good question, I never viewed them as bad or goat like. In fact that was one of the things

that bothered me as a JW. And one of the reasons was when I heared a talk on

(showing love for neighbor) and how we should bake a cake for your neighbor

or mow there lawn or when there sick take a meal to them, but

at the same time don't associate with them. This never set well with me. It made

me feel hypocritical and self-righteous.

DoubleVision

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I never brought into the whole worldly, goat labeling. I always had non-jw friends and I'm glad I did because I'm still friends with them today, every Jdub I was ever friendly with is no longer in my life (my choice not theirs, I shunned them first )

nj

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

To me it was just Watchtower terminology denoting the differrence between sheeplike people who responded to our message and goatlike ones who did not, in line with Jesus parable in Matthew 25. I never used it in a derogatory way to describe people who didn't respond. I had empathy for them, as they just refused to try and grasp the "truth", and would thus die at Armageddon, whereas I would survive.

• fifi40
    fifi40

Thanks for your views all of which I can relate to but now it has starting me thinking maybe it is a cultural difference.

I can most relate to iamfreenow response; I took the terms used like 'goat' to show the difference between gods people and the rest, at the time it in no way caused me to view non JWs as evil and I certainly never felt hate or dislike for them. It would be true to say that during my childhood years, my dads business resulted in my having a considerable amount of association with people of the world, and therefore the impact of JW teachings was probably diluted for me; but I also wonder if certain countries or areas have a more 'laid back' approach to life and that this in turn effects the view they take on things, whereas some take things to the letter, as being very precise and pointed and as such act and think in a more severe manner.

This is not meant as criticism toward any nation or group of people, but just an observation that for some their memories of time served include a much harsher opinion of those of the world.

My experience of those in our congregation and in general in the UK was a pretty similar approach to those in the world.

Do you think it could be a cultural difference?

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

They're all ZOMBIES?!?!!?! AAAAAaaaaa!!!

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

The main attitude expressed from the platform was that they are going to be killed in armaggeddon so what would be the purpose of becoming attached to people and things that are temporary and could possibly hinder your "progress" in Jehovah's service. Most dubs took it a few steps further and held worldly people in contempt.

• tongue100
    tongue100

JW's are so cruel. While trolling in a JW forum regarding worst experiences at a door, I came accross a girl who was telling a story about a householder who was arguing about the Trinity with her. After going back and forth for a few minutes, the girl said she really wanted to blurt out "Haha! You're going to die and I'm not!" But held back because she knew that wouldn't be right. But she still felt that way in her heart. Its the most unChristian view anyone can have in my opinion. Could you imagine Jesus saying something like that? Ugh...

I read something a while back about sheep vs goats. Its weird, but goats were a prime sacrifice for god. I wonder why that is...

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    The main attitude expressed from the platform was that they are going to be killed in armaggeddon so what would be the purpose of becoming attached to people and things that are temporary and could possibly hinder your "progress" in Jehovah's service. Most dubs took it a few steps further and held worldly people in contempt.

This has always been the prevalent view of how witnesses see worldly people to me. While inside, a JW will tell himself that he doesn't or didn't feel that worldly people were evil, or he didn't feel any hatred toward them. As a JW though, the majority when asked if they would be alright with their sons or daughters marrying a worldly person, would recoil in horror at the thought. Why? The answer would be 'bad association' or 'unevenly yoked'....say it any number of ways you want. The belief one has of not feeling one way is quite contrary to the actions of that person while inside the organization. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit