Views of worldy folk as a witness

by fifi40 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• fifi40
    fifi40

I bring this subject up because personally I dont get it.

I have noticed that some posters use words such as 'evil' or 'stinking goats' to describe the view (either their own adopted view or that of the JW org) they had of worldly people whilst a Jehovahs Witness.

The reason I find this difficult to understand is because I never felt that way toward 'people of the world' whislt being a believer of of the teachings of the JW organisation. And I didnt pick up on it being rammed down my throat by the org either. Now I wonder if I was ignorant of something, not paying enough attention or if it is just each individuals approach toward life that makes the difference.

What were your views of 'people of the world and why?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Not to be trusted. They never had your best intrest at heart.

They were never viewed as worthy of asociation, short of pushing off literature to.

Bad associations spoil useful habits.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I prefer the company of "worldly" people to the automotons.

That being said, I have heard MANY scathing commentaries both in private AND in public in the KH, both from the pulpit and the audience about how Dubs should not even say "Hello" to a worldly person who is not interested in a study as that might lead to friendship.

I believe the "light" came from the KM 04/2002

Since my KM 04/2002 is on my lap-top, I give you a tiger from the New System.....

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Official doctrine: Future Bird Feed

• DJK
    DJK

Goats was a term used very frequently and I remember seeing it in print in the literature. Before 1974 it faded out and worldly people took its place at my KH. Not what youwould expect from people who preach brotherly love.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've heard the term "Walking Corpses"

• zack
    zack

fifi: The reason you didn't accept the view of the Org. is the same reason you're here.

It never felt right in my heart that a God of love who I believed to be the kindest and gentlest of all spirits would do all the things attributed to Him in the past and expected of Him in the future.

But does the Org. preach it? Yes. Recently a brother at my hall made the comment at a WT study about Jehovah beng the Great Exterminator. Great reason

to love Him, huh? You think of your Dad like that? That's the way we were all taught to view Him, as the Destroyer, the Great Exterminator.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I was a worldly person who became a JW when I was 20. I hear the term for outsiders one day in the door to door work as GOATS. I felt offended by that, and reminded the car group I had once been a goat. Thy were a bit more careful with using that term with me around.

Of course my bible study conductor carefully explained by interested ones were sheep and stubborn ones were goats, and eventually I found myself using that term for people. Irks the heck out of me now. LOL

Ruth

• restrangled
    restrangled
    Of course my bible study conductor carefully explained by interested ones were sheep and stubborn ones were goats, and eventually I found myself using that term for people. Irks the heck out of me now.

Don't feel bad...JW's call worldy people "goats"

Worldly people call JW's religious fanatics and nutjobs

Let the JW's vent a little. Who has it worse? I'm free, they are serving a life sentence.

r's "worldly" hubby

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

i remember that non-believers were called goats and there was a lot of lick-lipping about the destruction of the wicked. There was a schizophrenic kind of thing, though, in that the JWs I knew, at least, could be friendly and pleasant to/about individual non-believers, while at the same time saying pretty horrific things about them as a group. One of the shocking things I still remember was a discussion from the platform about why Jehovah would kill children as well as their parents at armageddon. The speaker said that baby rattlesnakes were still rattlesnakes, and if you came across one you'd kill it whether it was a baby or an adult. I still can't believe that supposedly loving people would say and believe something like that. I remember a friend telling me about her father, a life-long JW, who at the end of his life said that no one liked him because he was going to live forever and they weren't. Same sort of smug arrogance as a lot of christian bumperstickers that essentially say "neener neener I'm saved and you aren't." And yet, I can remember some compassionate, loving JWs - but they went along with the belief that god is going to destroy 99% of the world and that they are the only ones who will be saved, and they felt OK with the idea that they would see the destruction of nearly everyone on earth in front of their own eyes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit