Girl Scouts

by lonelysheep 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Hey all...

I grew up 'worldly' and was a Brownie, then a Girl Scout for about 7 years. I had a blast. We took trips and participated in community activities such as volunteer work. Badges were earned and a lot of close friendships were made. Of course, we sold cookies, too!

This wasn't allowed by the JW's, was it?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Never allowed, but the cookies are/were wonderful and still addictive.....We buy them every chance we get!

r

• prophecor
    prophecor

Troifels for me, please!!! Don't open the box unless you intend on eating them all.

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

nope...wasn't allowed because teh girlscouts are teh Satan!!!11111

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Samoa's for me. I'M not sure but I believe that there was a WT that talked against buying Girl scout cookies (either that or it was definitely an unwriten rule.)

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Mad isn't it

My daughter was a rainbow and now a brownie. It's wholesome and "normal" and I'm glad she's part of the pack!

• blondie
    blondie

Actually buying or not buying Girl Scout cookies was an unwritten rule; one that was "broken" by many JWs I have known over the years (including myself). Many did not even hide them in the cupboard.

But it was not permissible to join the Girl Scouts but that was still an unwritten rule. Might have to say the pledge of allegiance, you know.

But if you stopped buying products from organizations that said the pledge of the allegiance, life might be hard.

Blondie

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Might have to say the pledge of allegiance, you know.

That's right, every meeting began that way. At least those meetings are fun for kids!

Selling cookies was a good feeling. You were rewarded with prizes and smiles for one, rather than the promise of a paradise.

~~Thin Mints

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Growing up in the bOrg I wanted to be a girlscout, alot of my friends at school had signed up and were wearing the uniform and it looked like fun but of course I couldn't do it. So decided that if I ever had a girl that if she wanted to she could be a girlscout. My daughter has now been in it for over three years now, she's a junior girl scout and has enjoyed every moment. The only thing I regret is that I never got to be one as a girl.

Oh and my oldest boy (he's 12) is a boyscout. My six year son is biting at the bit to be a cubscout but he has to wait until he's in first grade.

Josie

• exwitless
    exwitless

I just inhaled about 5 thin mint cookies. Girl Scout cookies are awesome! We NEVER bought them as dubs, because we were aware of the unwritten rule. However, one day in casual conversation with an elder's wife, she mentioned that she ordered some cookies that day from a girl selling in the neighborhood. I was surprized and kinda mad, because I had written them off as a non-dub acceptable thing. All the wasted years!!

It's so petty of the to discourage buying cookies from the Girl Scouts, or popcorn from Boy Scouts, or a $1.00 candy bar from a YMCA kid. I mean really, they make it sound like you're giving money directly to Satan himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit