The Jah Jireh homes are a nice little earner

by Gill 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

mia_b - I'm very sorry to hear about your Nan's experience at the homes. This should never have happened to her, whoever owned the home.

I believe Vitty knew some of the people who worked at the homes and they were very unhappy with their own conditions of work. So, it is hardly surprising that some of the elderly were neglected if the staff were miserable. Perhaps you should report what happened to your Nan to your local council, even if it is a little while on they might move to protect the residents if they need it.

• core
    core

http://www.jah-jireh.org/aims.htm
    as can be seen on their website they do actively seek donations which does go against the point made earlier re Social Services paying in cases of need.
    If all costs are covered by the State or the person themselves where do the donatons go?
    An interesting thought is that with the new equality legislation in the UK they may (probably will be) breaking the law by discriminating by means of religion as they should accept on basis of need not belief - might pursue that with the Charity Commission and Social Services depts in the areas they work in!

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

God what a thread!

I worked in two and lived kinda running one!!! yes eddie delaney does totally make a profit in fact he has been recently 'removed' of being an elder (guess his fraud finally caught up with him!)

It ruined some stuff in my family that i cant go into but boy them homes make me mad,

The nursing one i know well is a joke it is nursing not residental and so the really ill go there i mean people who need proper care, and yet the only requirement for working there is to be in good standing!!!!! so yes these poor old dears are not getting half the care they deserve and should recieve,

one has recently had to close!!! in fact just last week,

and another piont i worked nights sometimes and you get the same as day pay and that wasnt even the minium for a while, and oh yes you SHOULD miss the convention and yet when you go to the conventions you see 'examples' of people who gave up their jobs coz they weren't allowed time off!!!

• Gill
    Gill

Cordelia - That's quite a shock to find out all of that. Even after what mia_b said, there is a hope that the old folk who end up in JW run care home might do better than old folk in a council run home. How can they have got away with being so unregulated?

It really does sound obscene, that a paerson, claiming to be of 'the only true religion' can get away with a scheme like this that simply lines his pockets at the expense of the needy and vulnerable.

Which home has recently been closed, Cordelia?

Core - This does sound like something that social services should look into and the charity commission.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    So Delaney is receiveing £50.000 on his own in income from the homes

This doesnt surprise me in the slightest; before it obtained charitable status it was a private business; he changed it to a charity for publicity purposes and to no doubt boost revenues from potential residents. Previously though, if you couldnt afford the fees you didnt get in - it was just like a normal private residential home but serving a niche market. Hardly a charity!

Personally I dont mind anybody making profit but its the double standards I object to. He used to dupe his staff into working overtime suggesting it was a greater ministry!!!

He has no doubt taken a leaf out of the WTBTS book and thought there must be some mileage in the charity and PR business.

Gary

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Oops double post!!

• Gill
    Gill

DB1974 - A picture is emerging of Delaney, from reading the accounts and from the things some have said about him here on the board, who have worked for him, that is not very pleasant and rather disturbing. The MOST disturbing thing to emerge is claims that , though NOT abused, the elderly at these homes may be being neglected in a way that perhaps would not happen in more regulated conditions. This is allowed to continue because they are JWs and because it is not acceptable in the JW community to report the brothers to the authorities.

There really is a need for someone with more inside knowledge and direct contact with these homes than myself, to face the facts that responsibility should force them to at least expect the local authorities to make quick and surprise visits to these homes and make sure the elderly are being taken care of by qualified and caring staff and not disillusioned JWs who are in their own cases being abused by this 'care homes system'.

Cordelia and mia_b might like to consider at least enquiring with their local authorities to at least make inspections.

There is never a problem with a business making a profit. However, this is now meant to be a charity and some people are doing rather well out of this charity and surprise surprise so are their families!!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    There is never a problem with a business making a profit. However, this is now meant to be a charity and some people are doing rather well out of this charity and surprise surprise so are their families!!

Indeed!

Gary

• core
    core

http://www.csci.org.uk/complain/share_concerns_and_complaints.aspx
    This is the body who you can complain to via their website - the Commission for Social Care Inspections

• Gill
    Gill

Core - I don't feel as I have no Direct experience with the Jah Jireh homes that I can complain about them, but I would urge those who are in the 'know' to at least ask the Social Care Watchdog to check up on the homes. Elderly people need protecting no matter what religion or belief structure they belong to. Haven't the JW elderly already lost enough?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit