The Jah Jireh homes are a nice little earner

by Gill 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Why are the Jah Jireh homes such a nice little earner at a time when retirement homes are struggling so badly in the UK?

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/showcharity.asp?remchar=&chyno=1062023

Any ideas? I know a lot of JWs believe that the homes are owned by the WTBTS and not Mr Delaney.

• Gill
    Gill

If you click on the link you can read more details when you click on the part that offers more detailed accounts.

It appears that Mr Delaney, though a Trustee is managing to receive payment from this charity by renting out 'office space' to the charity.

It is interesting, that owning buildings for the residents, a room cannot be found for an office in the home.

There's always a way to squeeze money out of a 'charity'.

I wonder what the 'grants' are that the Jah Jireh claim to make in the representation of their chairty status?

• Gill
    Gill

I see there is a Jah Jireh home in Canada now.....complete with KH!!!

Poor old folk! They just can't get away from the sales meetings even in their old age!!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Are all the workers at Jehovah-Jireh paid, or are some of them "volunteers"?

If paid, are they paid at rates comparable to the rest of the industry, or do they work at a discount?

• Gill
    Gill

Nathan - The employees are paid the going rate, which is the minimum wage in the UK. I understand some are pioneers and other JWs.

The last time we discussed this some who commented on the employees said that they were unhappy as they were pressured into overtime and unhappy with other conditions.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Didnt he get the homes built by the RBC - and JW labor also - so on the cheap - allegedly

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow
    Didnt he get the homes built by the RBC - and JW labor also - so on the cheap - allegedly

Yes, that is almost certainly true, I know a couplel of brothers who who worked on the construction project, and their labour was given voluntarily.

The last time we discussed this some who commented on the employees said that they were unhappy as they were pressured into overtime and unhappy with other conditions.

I 've heard that as well, Gill. I don't personally know anyone who worked there, but have spoken to JWs who have relatives who did. Most of the reports from JW staff was that it was a rather negative experience working there.

• Gill
    Gill

The accounts make very interesting reading.

There are 169 staff working for the homes and they earn on average £10,000 a year!

There are two trustees, including Delaney and they receive £69,154 between them.

The family members of Delaney and the other trustee, receive of which there are 5 or 6 receive between them £73,816, (far more than the pittance paid to the rest of the staff).

Delaney also receives £7280 in office rent and £7280 in rent for a flat from the 'charity'.

So Delaney is receiveing £50.000 on his own in income from the homes.

• Gill
    Gill

In the Summary Information Return Delaney says that 5% of the Homes Income is in voluntary income and comes to £119,000.

He then says that 95% of the income is from charitable activities and comes to 2 347 000.

In the Account Documents it says that:

Donations are £118 870

Residents Charges are 2 318 496.

Are the residents told that they are making 'donations' or are they told the truth that they are charge for being in a care home like any other?

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow
    Are the residents told that they are making 'donations' or are they told the truth that they are charge for being in a care home like any other?

Good question, Gill, but not one it would be easy to get an answer to.

We all know how fond the Society is of "encouraging" its members to leave them their property in their wills. I have wondered if by moving to a place like this, they would hand over their property to the Watchtower before they die. I never really looked into going into such a place when I was older, I sort of wish I had now, just to find out how it is actually administered.

I think it's almost certain that the Watchtower will be benefitting financially from these places, and substantially. Otherwise, I doubt they'd exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit