The Jah Jireh homes are a nice little earner

by Gill 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

iamfreenow - If it is true that the Regional Building Committee were involved in some way in building homes then it does make you wonder how they benefited and who was getting 'donations' from who.

I also wonder what 'assets' JWs would have to hand over to live in the homes as I remember my in laws looking into a jah jireh home for an elderly relative and dropping it like a hot potato. Unfortunately they are busy shunning us and we cannot find out what happened with the jah jireh home idea.

I do wonder about the 'voluntary income' being 5% of their income and the other 2 347 000 being 'charitable activities (95%). Some how that makes no sense since the old folk are having to pay to live there.

Something smells fishy with this.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

Something smells fishy with this.

Indeed it does Gill.

Although I can't speak from experience, I would imagine these places meet the minimum requirement for retirement homes, with no extras, and make the maximum profit. That's how the rest of the WTBTS is set up, so I can't see this scheme being any differrent.

It would be interesting if some media organisation did an in-depth investigation into Jah Jireh. To me, it smacks of yet another way that the Watchtower have found of fleecing the flock.

Marion

• Gill
    Gill

A couple of years ago a JW Welsh male voice choir was doing the rounds at KH's up and down the country raising money for the jah-jireh homes as apparantly, because of the government not paying out enough for old folk to go to homes the Jah Jireh homes needed funding from JWs. Each person paid £10 to go and listen to the JW choir singing and all donations went to the homes.

However, reading the accounts, the homes are not doing badly at all, thank you very much!!

Also, the trustees are managing a find a good and viable income from their business venture.

Sad to see the very poor income that they are paying their JW staff who I have heard, I believe from Vitty, are very discontent with their life's lot working there.

• core
    core

I seem to recall from researching this outfit that the local JWS in general are encouraged to make donations, regardless of having a relative in care.
    If RBC and free labour built any/part of these then high time that the Charities Commission looked at the setup.
    I wonder if the Bethel have "contributed" any old timers beyond working.
    One point made on their website (again from memory) is that it is possible for an individual to be taken into their care without paying if they have no funds, as contributions of others cover the cost, all in all an odd mix of profit and charitable status.

• Gill
    Gill

Core - From my experience of how the care system works for the elderly, any old person who 'needed' to be in a home and had no funds would have their costs paid entirely by the local council. There would not be any need for 'charity' as all old people are covered by the council payments if they have no assets of their own.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

I can't remember the choir, perhaps they didn't come here, or it was mentioned when I wasn't at the Hall for some reason, though I rarely missed meeings at that time unless I was ill or on holiday. I can't say I heard anyone mention them though.

This particular fund raising effort sounds very suspicious though, considering the healthy-looking nature of their accounts. It sort of reminds me of the reading of the accounts at every Assembly, when there was always a deficit, and we were guilted into running to the donation boxes to make it up.

Let's face it, very few, if indeed any, religions are better than the Watchtower at getting money out of their followers.

• mia_b
    mia_b

my nan went to one for respite care in blackpool and said she never wanted to go to meetings again when she came out....

plus although we said she needed helped feeding dressing and going to the loo - it was all on the form we filled in when asking for a repite place

they couldnt have even looked at it as she had to do all these things herself, she stank when we picked her up - we had to drive back with the windows open

we also had to search out her walking stick and walking frame and they werent with her - the frame was stacked up with a load of others - she'd somehow been stumbling around on her own holding onto walls. clothes were also missing.

i wanted to write an official complaint but my mom didnt want too - it was too much just looking after nan day to day without sending complaint letters. i helped as much as i could(evenings and w/ends) and did more than my witness sisters and much more than any in the "loving" cong.

made me sick

• mia_b
    mia_b

does anyone else hav a similar experience?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I am glad that old JWs who did not save for their retirement because the END was coming before 2000 ad, are getting some kind of care from the WT in their dotage.

At least they are getting something back from the organization that stole the best years of their lives from them.

As for the wages - Macdonald's also pays its staff the legal minimum wage. Bill Gates is a multi billionaire, but does not pay his staff anywhere near what he himself earns.

My mother visited a friend in one of these homes, and said that the residents were more chirpy and interested in each other and what was going on around them than those in other homes she had seen.

Ask staff working in a Hospital or any other nursing home how pressurized they feel. This is not unique to JJ Homes.

Grocery stores, garages, holiday chalets are also nice little earners.

This Guy is not running these homes so he will have nothing when he retires. He's learned a lesson well - from the Watchtower.

HB

• Gill
    Gill

Hamsterbait - I don't believe that the WTBTS is paying for the care of the elderly in these homes.

In the UK, individual councils will pay care homes to keep elderly people in their care if the elderly person does not have sufficient funds to cover the costs of being in a care home.

Your point with regard to businesses making a profit, is of course well taken. But much like the WTBTS, these care homes are run on a charity basis and yet, the trustees are making far more than the average income for their part in the charity.

It would be interesting to know what portion of the charity's profit, (meaning the WTBTS) the Trustees of that particular religion/charity TAKE in recompense for their status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit