A look at 1975

by RR 22 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

RR:

Somewhat .... unlike the Governing Body, Russell wasn't so dogmatic about the date, or at least what he expected to happen. As early as 1900 he was warning his readers that things may not happen as expected. However with the War breaking out that year, it sort of "convinced" him that perhaps it would happen. After all there was never a war like WWI.

RR, thank you for the honesty of that perspective. However, it seems to me (and this is just my perception, so please correct me if I err here) that you are being somewhat vacillatory, as in

it sort of "convinced" him that perhaps it would happen

What do you mean by that?

• greendawn
    greendawn

1975 was just another marketing ploy by the WTS and it succeeded quite well. The sales in books and magazines went through the roof as did the number of the baptised. And they must have figured this out really well because when 1975 failed they didn't suffer any sort of long term damage.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    No, the "pain" isn't from the anti-Russell sentiments, the "pain" is from all those who have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. I've rejected Christ, God and anything to do with Scripture, and have decided instead to live a life of of sin. That's what bothers me.

(Quoting RR)

How is accepting Jesus as just another prophet and realizing the Bible is a manmade book causing me to live a life of sin? I've never done anything to you or anybody else who follows the christian faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit