A look at 1975

by RR 22 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

A few years BEFORE 1975, Bruce Bainbridge, a JW who was our camping with some of the friends, relates this little story:

"On the way to the outhouses that same evening, while walking with one of the congregation's ministerial servants, a tall, impressive individual who hadn't seen me for at least eight years said, " You know Bruce," putting his arm around my shoulder and squeezing tightly, "if this old world doesn't come to an end in 1975, I'm going back to my old evil ways." Then he purposely lifted his leg and passed wind. It was loud and embarrassingly long. he laughted boisterously, still squeezing my shoulder. I don't think I will ever forget that awkward, yet funny encounter." - Why do only 144,000 go to heaven? Victimized, Ostracize, and Criticized" - page 3, Bruce Bainbridge. 1988

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

What a charming little story!

Pope

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hello RR.

First of all, I can certainly relate to the sentiments and convictions embodied in:

"if this old world doesn't come to an end in 1975, I'm going back to my old evil ways."

although, in my case (as well as hundreds of thousands of others, as you and we all well know), it wasn't a matter of "going back to evil ways."

However, in my studies of the actual statements made in the ZWTs, there was a demonstrably strong expectation regarding 1914 (and yes, the WTS has thoroughly dummied-down the 'embarrassing' things that were actually printed during that time). Subsequent statements up to 1925 show that there was an earnest and even, if I may suggest, frantic, effort, to salvage the situation by elaborating extensively on the Jubilee cycle calculations. imho, just more of the same type of retrenching that has happened within the WTS time and time again over the last 90 years.

I know it's is painful for you to visit JWD, as it sometimes presents aspects of Russell and the Bible Students that run cross-grain to your heartfelt appreciation for both. Therefore, I would respectfully ask (without necessarily getting into a bunch of "I quote this" and "you quote that" type of thread):

1) Was the sentiment of the Bible Students re: 1914 really all that much different than what you quoted above re: 1975?

2) Were the disappointments, and consequent (and understandable) anger, of the Bible Students after 1925 really all that much different?

You have sources, both written and personal, that would perhaps enable you to answer these questions much better than others.

Craig

• RR
    RR
    I know it's is painful for you to visit JWD, as it sometimes presents aspects of Russell and the Bible Students that run cross-grain to your heartfelt appreciation for both. Therefore, I would respectfully ask (without necessarily getting into a bunch of "I quote this" and "you quote that" type of thread):

No, the "pain" isn't from the anti-Russell sentiments, the "pain" is from all those who have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. I've rejected Christ, God and anything to do with Scripture, and have decided instead to live a life of of sin. That's what bothers me. To have to scroll through hundreds of lewd and vulgat postings just to find something I can contribute too, that's what pains me.

RR

• onacruse
    onacruse

RR:

No, the "pain" isn't from the anti-Russell sentiments,

And therefore I sincerely apologize for misunderstanding your brief expression (from another thread).

the "pain" is from all those who have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. I've rejected Christ, God and anything to do with Scripture, and have decided instead to live a life of of sin. That's what bothers me.

To be honest, that bothers me too, though not in the respect of particularly what a person decides to do, but their expressed reasons for so doing, and whether what they have decided to do, and sometimes even brag about doing, runs contrary to their own best interests and the benefit of their human fellow beings. By no means have many, if not most, of the posters on JWD rejected God, Christ, or Scripture. Indeed, many of us (myself included) "see" God, Christ, and Scripture in a different perspective than we once did, but surely you've observed the spirited discussions about these very matters, and realize that!

To have to scroll through hundreds of lewd and vulgat postings just to find something I can contribute too, that's what pains me.

"Lewd and vulgar postings," insofar as I would use that description, are not that common on JWD, and are most often removed.

In any case, would you feel comfortable responding to the two questions I proposed? Honestly, as I was at work today, swinging away with my hammer, I was looking forward to coming home and considering your answers.

Respectfully,

Craig

• PEC
    PEC

I've rejected Christ, God and anything to do with Scripture, and have decided instead to live a life of of sin.

So, rejecting Christ, God and Scipture, means you are living a life of sin?

Philip

• moshe
    moshe

JW's have lots of stories to tell about the five or so years leading up to 1975, but they have amnesia about what happened. One JW at my old KH was surprised when I told him a story about a prominent elder whose son quit high school in 1974 to be a fulltime pioneer before armageddon. Everyone at the KH was so proud of that kid- well for a couple years. You would have thought I had dug up the corpse of a murder victim the way he looked at me- shocked! . Of course he knew nothing about 1975, as he had only been a JW since 2000.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

RR,

No, the "pain" isn't from the anti-Russell sentiments, the "pain" is from all those who have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Some of us discovered that the baby was the bathwater and that playing with any other substitute would just mean more of the same.

HS

• Dino
    Dino

Very good point HS, old friend!

RR, I really do wish you the very best in your journey as a Russellite (Bible Student?). No sarcasm at all intended.

However, you really come across as a self righteous person while trying to so hard to be cool (cynical) to fit in on this board. You dont need to do that. I feel that most of the participants on JWD are good folk that will go beyond anything to help you if they can trust you.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have never once noticed you giving public support of someone in pain on this board. Maybe you could give a little word of "Christian" encouragement to someone coming out of the JWs? Perhaps a "rahrah" for someone who has taken a real stand against the WT and damn the consequenses. So many on this board give such wonderful sentiments to these ones. Someone who is bereaved, where is RR? Where's the love?

If you REALLY want to proseletyze, try a different approach, one that shows love. This is not an ad hominem attack, just keep referring to the paragragh above. Can you answer it?

In conclusion, you simply must find a way to intelligently back up your beliefs with love.

From one dirty apostate to another (I even take baths)!

Dino

• RR
    RR

Dino, I'm not here to proseletyze anyone. I'm not about converting, I simply enlighten. If enlightening means to you proseletyzing, then you are wrong, look up the word.

As to my so called self-righteous attitude? I didn't know you could read hearts. Comments like youra are one of the many reasons I don't come here often. I come here in spurts, simply because memners on this forum e-mail me and tell me to please contribute to a certain thread. Other times I may have something that may benefit some of you.

Good day!

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit