Not aJW, but have a question

by roseybarb 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Asheron
    Asheron

Welcome, I asked some elders some questions and that led me to the door.

Here are a few of the questions:

1. Did Cain and Abel marry thier sisters? If so, why is it now considerered a sin to marry even a cousin? I asked this in respose to an Elders statement that morals are absolute and Jehovah doesnt "change his face"

2. Why is having an organ transplant a matter of consience when having a blood transfusion is wrong? There are most certainly blood cells in the transplanted organ when it is placed in your body. Do you violate Jehovahs law if you only take a few cells or is it ok if you dont know about them?

3. Why cant we talk to a DF person if Jesus talked to a prostitute? Surly a person commiting intentional sin is less moral than someone than someone who made a one or two sin mistake?

4. How can we be sure we are "Jehovah Chosen People" if some of our teachings are wrong? (regarding New Light) What percentage of our Bible understanding has to be correct to be considered Jah's people? 100%? 90% 80% ? What if some of the core beliefs are wrong? Are they more important that smaller things?

I did not ask these in a confrontational manner and I truely wanted some answers. I was 17 years old when I asked these and I had many more but the answer was the same to every one. Trust in Jehovah and dont worry about these things. As I asked more questions the Elders started treating me colder and colder and finally wouldnt talk to me any more. In fact one of them told my mom "he is to smart for his own good and he will be destoyed at armageddon if he doesnt become more humble". One of the Elders told my mom that she should throw me out of the house if I continued to question the teachings. She did.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Two pivotal things for me: 607 BCE held as a seminal year that all JW chronology and doctrine is based on, and the idea that the God they worship is willing to kill millions and millions of people who believe genuinely and sincerely they're doing the right thing. There are a whole world of other reasons, but that was the tip of the iceberg for me.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

The fact that their poicies protect child molesters turned me away. I have since found out that the whole religion is a cult and a money making scam.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I started researching and found out that the Watchtower lies about its history, and is filled with rhetorical fallacy, one sided presentation of facts and misquotes in order to support its own teachings. I started to understand that it uses the same mind control techniques used by cults. And I had never felt comfortable belonging to a religion that claims God will shortly kill billions of people. So I left on my own accord, and put my research on the internet at jwfacts.com. About 12 months after my last meeting the elders found out about my site and disfellowshipped me for "apostasy" due to the information on the site.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

I disassociated around 6 months ago after a lifetime in the organisation. After researching the doctrines independently of Watchtower pubications, I realised that most of what they teach has little or no Scriptural basis. I was also upset by the obvious lies and cover up of incidents of child abuse by the organisation.

My advice to you is do not get involved with the JWs in any way. Don't study with them, and don't attend any meetings. They are very good at indoctrinating people without the person even realising it until they are hooked. Don't let that happen to you.

• new boy
    new boy

Greetings

I did the math.......There are 6 billion people on the planet........6 million JWs....ratio 1 to 1,000

Since they believe that God will come and kill all the "bad people" someday soon and let all the "Good people" live........which just happens to be them........I decided to stop worshipping their "God of love" who was going to kill so many people........they taught me to be a passivist.....but my God wasn't!

So I DA myself after trying to believe the lie, for..........52 years

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was treated cruelly after making a mistake..

i was wrong..i expected discpline - punishment even

i did not expect cruelty, slander, schadenfrued, lies, abandonment, injustice.

ultimately i came to the conclusion that i did not want to be part of an organization that a. treated people that way b. did it in the name of god and c. deny doing it.

it was my life...i miss it like hell...and i wont go back

• Rooster
    Rooster

The whole set up is a form of idolatry. Their teaching that salvation can only be attained by being an active member of the "Jehovah’s Witnesses" takes away from the true source of salvation simply believing in Jesus Christ. To look to an organization for salvation is wrong.

Thus they have taken over the roll of Jesus.

This is my last post bye.

(removed)

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

For myself one of the main reasons I walked away after being an active JW all my life is my three daughters. I decided I wanted my girls to have an education, and not be treated as second class citizens. I was tired of my ex elder husband telling my girls at the age of 12 who would be suitable marriage mates. Looking at all these young people getting married at 18 because they could not have sex without loosing their family made me run. Now my girls are in college and realize that the JW religion is a cult. I would suggest you stay as far away as you can from studying the bible with a cult.

Leslie

• unique1
    unique1

For me it all culminated with 9/11 when the brothers in the congregation only prayed for the witness families that were involved in the tragedy and no one else. Not just one prayer either. It was every prayer for a week with the exception of one who prayed for everyone affected by that tragedy.

I never agreed with shunning those who are disfellowshipped or leave and found it unnatural. I researched the scriptures used and discovered they were used out of context. One of the scriptures is directed toward the anti-christ if you read further down and the other scripture they use says anyone "Calling themselves a brother", well if you leave you are no longer a brother.

Then I discovered that they used to ban vaccines and organ transplants. VACCINES??? Yes and with no apologies listed later in the mags to all those left to suffer and possibly die from disease. Just a short sentance saying that vaccines were good. http://www.reexamine.org/quotes/vaccination.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit