Why must observers attend the Kingdom Halls for the Memorial?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I always thought it was comical when the ms and elders passed around the emblems to themselves and the speaker.

It was like a Three Stooges or Benny Hill skit.

I always wondered why do they pass it around anyway, just state whoever wants to partake may now come forward and partake.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

What a great observation and question!

Seems to me like a way of demonstrating and consolidating their (the GB's) power over the R&F in an alpha/omega dog sort of way.

~Merry

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Moomanchu said:

I always thought it was comical when the ms and elders passed around the emblems to themselves and the speaker.

I forgot that one.It looks like a hot potato is being tossed around.

Last year a young boy and his mother sat next to me.They were newbies.The young boy took the emblem and was starting to eat it.The MS took it from his hand and put it back on the plate.When the wine was passed,the MS never let the young boy touch it.

• POs Son
    POs Son

I always tried as a kid (and succeeded) to smell the wine as it was passed. We used to get the left over Matzoth crackers afterwards, and eat them with peanut butter and jelly.

• Spectre
    Spectre

I've always wondered why there's the big push for memorial attendance myself. It's just about the most boring meeting of the year. If before or after the meeting you're talking with someone and laughing, you must not appreciate the solemnness of the occasion. Does any newcomer ever attend and say, "oh yeah, this is where I want to be"?

The memorial was the last meeting I attended some 5 or 6 years ago, and afterwards vowing never to return. The ritual of it all kind of freaked me out since at that time I hadn't been to a meeting in years.

• r51785
    r51785

I'm sure that any normal person would imagine that it was "Temptation Night" at the Watchtower Church. All the members pass around an alcoholic drink and refuse to imbibe, thus showing their moral strength and determination not to succumb to alcohol.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I can't remember this but is there a special prayer over the bread and wine before the service?

last memorial was back in 1992 I think

anyway as far as what Auld soul said isn't that what Lent is all about?? I don't believe Jesus would ever deny any of us to part take.

By the way do you think Jesus would ever DF anyone?

Thank god I'm catholic now

• restrangled
    restrangled

It is nothing more than census night. All the JW's hound everyone around them, to go just this one night, so they can use this artificially inflated number in their year end #'s as a testament to peoples interest in the WTS. It is an incorrect figure however, since many people only go because of the constant hounding they get from the rank and file.

r's hubby (in my not so humble opinion)

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Worldly Andre

You asked : I can't remember this but is there a special prayer over the bread and wine before the service?

Just like Jesus prayed before breaking the bread,an Elder is called to give a prayer before the passing of the bread.Then,just like Jesus prayed before drinking the wine,another Elder prays before the passing of the wine.So there are 4 prayers given that night.

• under_believer
    under_believer

It's because they are a cult, and mindless made-up ritual is part of every cult. It doesn't even make any flipping SENSE, what they do at the Memorial. It is out and out bizzare and has no basis in Scripture. But nobody is willing to call the Emperor on his nudity. Unspoken compliance in the face of all reason tends to make people more likely to obey when they are asked to, for example, drink Kool-Aid, or let their children die for lack of proper medical care.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit