Why must observers attend the Kingdom Halls for the Memorial?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Jesus had only 12 members attend and partake the last meal and Memorial.There were no observers in the room.Each disciple was given bread to eat and wine to drink.There is no mention of other people in the room who couldn't eat or drink the last meal.This was only for those who would partake of this meal.

Why does the WTS feel that observers need to be at this yearly event? Why can't the Elders who(supposedly) have any 144,000 in their congregations,have a memorial with only these members? If Jesus wanted observers he would of had some at his last meal and requested that they be present from then on.

• JH
    JH

I guess they want observers to put money in the contribution boxes

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

So they can feel good about denying Christ in a group setting. If they were alone in their denial of Christ they may start thinking about the significance of refusing to partake.

Romans 8:9-11

• compound complex
    compound complex

Ditto to JH's comment. I believe it may have to do also with PR. I recall some WTB&TS official letter of protest that referred to 17 million "associates," or whatever, who were not in agreement with some treatment meted out to God's people. There are only some 6.5 million JWs, but swollen ranks look impressive. Blondie recently referred to these figures but, I believe, in a different context. The Society has done this repeatedly.

Coco

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, it wasn't until 1938 that non-anointed JWs were invitied to the "memorial."

*** jv chap. 16 p. 243 Meetings for Worship, Instruction, and Encouragement ***

For the first time, in its issue of February 15, 1938, TheWatchtower specifically invited them to be present at the Memorial, saying: "After six p.m. on April 15 let each company of the anointed assemble and celebrate the Memorial, their companions the Jonadabs also being present."

• greendawn
    greendawn

In the early Christian Church all baptised members were participating. The JWs have this strange idea of the two classes (anointed and non anointed) and I can see your point that there is no reason to participate if one is not entitled to take. I was always wondering what have the "anointed" done that makes them so much better than the "great crowd"? Above all what better have the GB done to be right there on top?

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

To remind them of their supposed inferiority to the supposed "slave class".

Screw 'em, I'ma go hav me a bit o' the ol' bread n' wine meself!

BA- Christ, not man, is my mediator.

• blondie
    blondie

The number of JWs who thought they were anointed started dropping off. It used to be that only anointed male JWs could be elders but then they had to change that or there would be no elders. I can remember older brothers and sisters who weren't anointed talking about staying home during the memorial season but the WTS realized that pretty soon no one would be at the KH on Nisan 14 in most congregations.

Blondie

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Thanks Blondie !

In my 30 years,I've never seen one person partake.This year's Memorial is coming up and if you don't go you are considered ''SPIRITUALLY DEAD." I'm sure a visit is coming if you don't attend.They talk for 10 minutes on who should take the bread and wine and another 15 minutes on all the meetings the WTS has prepared for the newly interested to attend.I dread going as usual.What a waste of time!

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Numbers...they need to fake their numbers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit