My kid wants a B-day party

by openminded 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Reason with your wife in a CALM, RELAXED, GENTLE, MILD-TEMPERED manner. Ask about wedding anniversaries, and why they CAN be celebrated because "marriage" was instituted by Jehovah, correct?

Well, Jehovah certainly instituted birth, did he not? If we count the number of years we are married (technically speaking, we should not count any years at all if we are destined to live forever in a paradise, right?)then what is wrong with counting the number of years one is alive?

If a wedding party is appropriate (with ritualistic pagan chicken dances)with music, food and gifts, then why can't children celebrate with games and presents, too? I personally do not see the difference.

I know, they will quote ECC 7:1, better is the day of one's death than the day of one's birth and a good name is better than fine oil.

However, what is that scripture actually saying in the context of that chapter? What is the basic theme running through most of Solomon's writings? Generally it is "futility and brevity of life", not whether or not you can rejoice or celebrate any particular event.

Also, the Pharoah's birthday, explain it's relevance? Just because a biblical character who is an unbeliever commits a sin does not logically justify the establishment of "new" bible principle. For example, if Delilah cut Samson's hair, and then he was compromised and captured, doe that make all haircuts bad?

Since when do we modify our judgment and thinking and power of reason according to the actions of unbelievers? Are their lives our thermometer in life? Of course not.

Try reasoning and pray if it helps. Best Wishes!

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Also, one more thing! Please take the advice given in this thread with a grain of salt. Remember, it is still your wife and your family, not anyone else's.

You are the one living with her, lying down with her at night and participating in life together with her as a family. If she is still the love of your life, then make all of the extra efforts and sacrifices necessary to keep that love and balance and harmony in your family.

Do not resort to typical hasty JW type decision making methods. Do not be rash and bold and stubborn. Sometimes, you lose a few small battles, but end up winning the war. I know some have said "put your foot down" and "you have rights" etc...

Please be careful. If you still believe the bible (many of us no longer do) remember that Paul said "the seeds of righteousness are sown under peacable conditions". When your family is TOGETHER, HAPPY, and HEALTHY, those are the most important times of your lives.

Safeguard them carefully and do not be impulsive. We have learned the truth about the truth, and how our lives have been robbed, denied, exploited, abused, misled, mistreated, and regressed. However, embarking on a new "campaign" while your wife is still a JW will only make those circumstances worse! Why do more damage?

Why further the effects you have already suffered? This time, it's your turn to win!

• BlackMan4Life
    BlackMan4Life

I'll never forget the expression on my children's faces when they celebrated their first B'Day - It was truly emotional. I started feeling really sad just thinking about all the years I denied them that happiness. And just think - a year before that event I was training my daughter to give a witness as to why we don't celebrate B-Days. Thank goodness my son was too young to understand. Interestingly enough, I've always hated to explain my stand on that issue b/c the logic was sooooo weak!

So in answer to your question - Have the party for your son, he'll love you even more :)

Peace - Larry

[email protected]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit