Special talk?

by NikL 28 Replies latest jw friends

• tell all
    tell all

Very informative talk, thanks for the info.

• Moxy
    Moxy

i got this email too. identified as a talk given in greensboro, NC by an unidentified Brooklynite.

this frightens me. its doing the rounds so quickly, these points will likely make the transition from unofficial rumour to generally accepted new light. and its a BRILLIANT talk from the sounds of it. it explains so much that is likely to happen. it explains the continued drop in pubs and the Dateline episode and similar. if this continues to go 'viral' as we say in advertising, we might be right back into '75-mode. that wont be good for anybody.

mox

• NikL
    NikL

I am starting to think this is a hoax more than ever. The version I got had a name attached to it but it was different than the name that a poster who received this same e mail listed earlier in this thread. There is something fishy here.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi All,

I'll have to check this out, I live just a 45 minute drive from Greensboro. I haven't heard anything about it, but I haven't talked to any JWs lately.

I saw a sign near the Kingdom Hall that said,"Hall for Sale". I heard they were building a new one on the road that I was raised as a kid. I will check this out too.

Ken P.

• Moxy
    Moxy

interesting nikl. i think this is genuine myself. its bound to go thru some mis-translation from forwarding. (my email was slightly different at the beginning and end - the main part was verbatim.)

whether its genuine or not means little really. if it goes viral, it will pass into the common collective of the r&f. im always amazed by experiences that get posted in WOL etc with no names and places that sound truly outlandish. but NO one ever says, 'hmm, i wonder if this is real.' if there is any restraint, it is only due to fear at providing an 'alternate channel' like they've told not to.

reading it again, this part at the beginning is ridiculous:

1. Islam is now larger than Christendom. According to
    the mankind search for God book, the inside map shows
    the amount of people in major religions. The numbers
    for the Islamic religion is now much larger.

i hope that if this WAS a real talk, that the note-taker was doing a poor job.

1. the search book (1990) has no such statistics. it has a map showing LOCATIONS of adherents. not number.

2. even so, the area marked christendom is of course much larger than islam.

3. there are far more christians than muslims in the world.

perhaps the speaker said there are now more muslims than CATHOLICS. that would fit the facts more.

mox

• truth1
    truth1

I'm pretty sure it's legit because my mother and sister (both loyal JWs for the moment) practically quoted to me (by way of counseling) the contents of that e-mail.

• Moxy
    Moxy

oh terrific. more evidence that this talk is going/has gone viral. for all their opposition to the net, theyve gotten a useful ally in one sense, despite themselves.
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/aug2000/nf20000830_601.htm

mox

• sf
    sf
  • Moxy
    Moxy

bringing this back to the top because people are still getting this email and posting it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit