Spy & report sins of others, or be disfellowshipped

by OnTheWayOut 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

An example from Ray Franz's IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM.

The GB expects faithful JW's to report their knowledge of serious sins
    on the part of other JW's to the elders. They could face a JC, themselves
    if they don't report (what they define as serious) sins.
    The book mentions the example of a man who was engaged. His fiancee
    got pregnant, but he was a nice guy who didn't want to harm her in any way,
    so he was just going to secretly break up with her. That guy would need to
    turn her in if he was a JW, as there is clear evidence of fornication on her
    part.

That guy was Joseph. His fiancee was Mary. Sure, the story says he was
    eventually informed of the special nature of her pregnancy, but before that, he
    believed she did wrong and he would just break up.

If you read this book, it discusses how the WTS twists the scriptures which
    say that a person called to testify before the older men at the gate of the city
    must testify. That means if you know someone committed a sin, and the older
    men insist you say so in front of everybody, you have to do it. WTS twists that
    to say "You must turn them in." Totally different- the Bible doesn't insist you do
    so, it even says to lay bare the fault (or sin) of your brother between you and him
    alone, or else take one or two others with you to straighten it out.

The elders don't have their sessions at the gate of the city, either. They conceal the
    so-called sins of people in their secret chambers, passing judgement without the
    admitted pressure of all the congregation members looking on.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

What an interesting thought! If Joseph and Mary were members of a Hall today, they'd find themselves hauled in the back room, disfellowshipped and groveling for six months to a year for reinstatement. Their baby son would be ignored as a product of fornication until the announcement was read. Then, everybody would gush over baby Jesus and want to hold him!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

in the people's republic of china, a very repressive government, they have the "grandmother" system. In each block some old lady has the job of spying on everyone and turning them in, even going so far as doing things like checking someone's birth control pills to see if she is taking them. an ugly society where they all spy on each other, because if they don't they'll get in trouble. See the resemblance? Repressive government, repressive religion using fear and making people spy on each other as part of the control system. When I went to China for the first time, our translator kindly took one of our group to a store to buy something he needed. In the translation process and changing money between "people's money" and foreign exchange certificates, she made a mistake of about two cents. When we got back to the hospital, she was called on the carpet and condemned for cheating a foreigner - someone had turned her in to her work unit before we even got back there! JWs are just as crazy and just as much control freaks and just as evil as the Chinese government.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

JW's have something uncomfortably in common with these guys...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070220/od_nm/malaysia_spies_dc_1

Islamic spies to snoop on lovers Tue Feb 20, 8:16 AM ET
    A Malaysian state plans to recruit "spies" from the public to snoop on unmarried lovers and report them to Islamic religious authorities, a newspaper said Tuesday.
    The Terengganu state government plans to enlist the part-time spies to look out for un-Islamic behavior, such as unmarried couples kissing or holding hands, the Star daily said.
    "Some of these 'spies' could be waitresses or even janitors at hotels acting as auxiliary undercover agents for our religious department," the head of the state government's Islamic and welfare committee, Rosol Wahid, was quoted as saying.
    "Accurate details are required for the enforcement officers to act, otherwise they could be pouncing on married couples."
    Last October, religious police in another part of this mainly Muslim country caused an outcry when they mistakenly raided the rented holiday apartment of a Christian American couple on suspicion that they were unmarried Muslims in "close proximity."
    Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
  • Abandoned
    Abandoned
    What an interesting thought! If Joseph and Mary were members of a Hall today, they'd find themselves hauled in the back room, disfellowshipped and groveling for six months to a year for reinstatement. Their baby son would be ignored as a product of fornication until the announcement was read. Then, everybody would gush over baby Jesus and want to hold him!

It's true. It wouldn't matter though, because just like the pharisees and the sadducees, jehovah's witnesses have no need of the Christ since on one hand, as an organization they are already righteous, and on the other hand, they already have there own Christ (annointed) to whom they answer.

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Rabbit, I saw that news item in my local paper recently, too. The first thing I thought of when I saw the line that said "these 'spies' could be waitresses or even janitors" was 'or maybe window washers?', lol.

• zack
    zack

This is yet another reason the JW folk are so screwed up: Real TRUST in non-existent. It only "exists" within the confines of the JW theology.

You can NEVER say what is really on your mind.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Word. I know this game well. If young people are about to go and get themselves into trouble, or do something JC worthy, just walk out and leave. I've been questioned about many an infamous party, but I've ducked the bullet each and every time by just leaving before the trouble started, or simply not going at all.

in the people's republic of china, a very repressive government, they have the "grandmother" system. In each block some old lady has the job of spying on everyone and turning them in, even going so far as doing things like checking someone's birth control pills to see if she is taking them. an ugly society where they all spy on each other, because if they don't they'll get in trouble.

Wow...I forgot how crazy China was!

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's the ugly nature of a cult it resembles a totalitarian state as in the days of Stalin, it is not the job of Christians to act as informants for the powers that be.

• Balaamsass

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit