Dungeons and Dragons

by BlackSwan of Memphis 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

I don't know anything about DnD but I like Elderscrolls, particularly Morrowind. I haven't playing it yet but the latest Oblivion is supposed to be awesome.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I don't know anything about DnD but I like Elderscrolls, particularly Morrowind. I haven't playing it yet but the latest Oblivion is supposed to be awesome.

Oblivion is cool, a bit friendlier to noobs, though. Combat is much improved from Morrowind, especially with archery. 3rd person view is terrible, but you really don't need it. The generic enemies level up in combat and armor--a bit too fast in the combat department, if you ask me. The graphics, if your card can handle it, are awesome. It sucks now because for some reason, if I want to play, it locks up after 10 minutes. I didn't play for about 4 months. Now I'm screwed. I hope there's another patch for it.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    Oblivion is cool, a bit friendlier to noobs, though. Combat is much improved from Morrowind, especially with archery. 3rd person view is terrible, but you really don't need it. The generic enemies level up in combat and armor--a bit too fast in the combat department, if you ask me. The graphics, if your card can handle it, are awesome. It sucks now because for some reason, if I want to play, it locks up after 10 minutes. I didn't play for about 4 months. Now I'm screwed. I hope there's another patch for it.

Yeah, Morrowind rules. I love that game. The graphics are amazing. Oblivion has a great storyline and the guild and cult quests are easier due to fast travel and horses and such. Hmm, I'm going to have to fire up one or the other later.

• Mystla
    Mystla

I'm a little late to the subject... but.. if anyone is looking for a mega easy game to play.. try Fate. It's downloadable, you can try it for free and then pay $10 if you want to keep playing. It's kind of a Diablo meets fisher price It's a basic dungeon game that's great when you are braindead or just want to kill some time.

Here's a link, if any one is interested: http://www.playfate.com/

It's an inexpensive way to try out dungeon running, for those who are new to gaming.

We just picked up Vanguard and have been playing it all week. It's an online RPG that has some really detailed crafting, harvesting and diplomacy as well as adventuring. So far we really like it, except that it's new and therefore buggy as hell, as well as laggy.. if they get that sorted out I may give up WoW alltogether .. but I'm keeping Guild Wars.

Misty

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I forgot about Fate. That is a good game. I played the demo and enjoyed it a lot. Good call Mystla.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

a) Yes, girls play DnD too!!!!! (In response to a previous poat that the poster had only seen guys play)
    b) Gary Gyax - creator of DnD is reported to be or had been a JW. Go figure that one out with all the horrible articles in the Awake about RPG...

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I was never allowed to play D&D either. So I played sci-fi RPGs instead. I enjoyed them a lot more. My favorite was Traveller.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Okay, I have yet to see a game mentioned on this thread that I haven't played.

If you like an easy RPG with funny/inventive story lines that you can take up and leave at will, I recommend the Final Fantasy series from VII forward. Pixelated graphics, but a fun time.

If you want good graphics, straightforward questing, and stricter adherence to D&D rules you want Neverwinter Nights (and any add ons in the series).

If you like to be sneaky and tend to play thieves in other RPG environments, Thief III (Deadly Shadows) can't be beat (in my opinion). VERY limited as to character choices, but if you like being a thief this is the game for you.

If you like good graphics and very open style of RPG (do what you want to do, for the most part ... choose your own destiny), then you want Elder Scrolls Morrowind. Don't play unless you have 12 hour stretches of time for it, it will mesmerize you.

The biggest downside to Elder Scrolls Oblivion is that they removed the ability to levitate. However, you can ride a horse. I am still debating which I like better between the two. If Morrowind had fast map travel to places you've already been, it would win hands down. All in all, this is the best RPGers RPG series to date (in my opinion).

If there was the capacity to learn and profit from trades and the ability to climb/scale walls, etc. it would be nearly the perfect PC RPG game short of naturalized AI speech and true decision making from the AI.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit