Dungeons and Dragons

by BlackSwan of Memphis 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

From time to time there are releases of the old D&D PC games. They stretch back to the 80s and include: Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Secret of the Silver Blades. Later, better interface versions include Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter and Pool of radiance II.

Of the fantasy roleplaying genre: The Might and Magic series (VI and VIII are probably the best - in VIII you can recruit dragons into your adventuring party!), the Quest for Glory series, and the Wizardry series. Wizardry 8 is very playable. There also other franchises, such as Everquest, Final Fantasy, and so on, but I haven't played any of those.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    Ok Thom, so for a newbie like me, any advice on getting started?

Advice on starting? If you know the basics of d&d, you'll do fine. Creating a character can be a daunting task if you are unfamiliar with what feats and skills work well together. One of the cool things about NWN is that they have some already designed packages where the computer will choose the skills and feats for you based on the package. When you level up your character, you can just hit the recommend button and you don't even have to know what's being chosen or why. I like knowing, but then I've been playing d&d on and off since I was about 12.

If you are dying a lot in battle, you can go into options and lower the difficulty down. Setting it at its lowest setting makes a HUGE difference. You can also use that for just certain battles that are proving to be too difficult. Before the battle (or during) turn it down and then back up afterwards.

Use buffs. Buffs are either spells or potions that raise your attributes and resistences. The big ones to raise are strength and constitution so you hit harder and can take more damage. It's also a good idea to set your character to always run (caps lock IIRC).

Save often. Read the dialog and get into the story. You'll really start caring for quite a few of the characters.

Here's my gaming website. I have quite a bit of NWN info there. http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/improg. It's called Lord Corwin's Castle because the handle I used to always use on-line was Lord Corwin from the late Roger Zelazny's Amber novels. Anyway, have fun and PM me if you have any trouble.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I've never played it, but I find it interesting you like it mainly because I think you're the only girl I've heard of that is into D&D. The only people I know that used to play are all male. So how did you get into it, do you have brothers?

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Thank You Thomas for the advice. You just may be hearing from me via pm soon

MisA. Yeah, I have a brother, but no, that's not how I got into it. Remember I'm new at it, but the thing that I love is the myth and lore. I really love dark, gothy stuff and dragons, and castles and the living dead and well... you get the pic So, a while back I googled DnD out of curiosity and am really liking the graphics.

• Badger
    Badger

As far as RPGs go, I much more prefer the old analog (Paper character sheets, 10-sided dice).

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Hmmmm,...good times, good times...

Exwitless is right that I used to play D&D. I also used to DM at conventions and was the Gaming Director for a very large local club here back in the day. I was also a Referee (the non-D&D term for a Dungeon Master) for many other pnp games in the club, at conventions, and at private meet-ups. Twightlight 2000 was one of my favorites. When I became one of the borg, I threw out about $600 worth of pnp materials and books, a fact that I was proud of at the time and which makes me sick now because almost all of it is irreplaceable...but I digress.

She is also right that Neverwinter Nights is a type of D&D game. In fact, it is currently the official AD&D computer game series from Wizards of the Coast, the people who bought the original rights to AD&D from TSR. Neverwinter Nights and the 2 expansion packs are excellent, but just like the original pen and paper games, (and this is the important part), they are frameworks of rules meant to be added to by the players. Just like in the pnp version, the computer verison uses modules - the D&D name for the story in which you are currently adventuring. These modules can be played by yourself or in groups (private or entire internet welcome). There are also persistant world servers for the mmorpg experience. The Neverwinter series has a huge fan base, and just like in the old school pnp games, many, many of the player made modules are just as good as, or better than the official, company made modules. Citadel of Blood for Neverwinternights comes to mind. I haven't played that one in a long time, but it was very good - and fan made. Google Neverwinter Nights and The Vault at the same time and you can get pointed in the right direction for a storehouse of user made modules.

What this means is that - just like with the pnp version - the game never ends until you want it to. You just pop your saved-out character into a different module and continue on. I have no doubt that if you downloaded and played every single current fan made module for Neverwinter Nights, you could play 24/7 for years on end and still not be done. Oh, did I mention that they are free? WotC has company-produced, low priced modules for download as well. NWN doesn't have too stringent of computer hardware requirements, but each expansion added slightly to the need for power. I probably won't buy NWN2 because I doubt my laptop will run it.

I didn't care for the Baldur's Gate series, but I think that is only because I already had NWN, and the graphics in that beats the snot out of BG. Since I already had NWN and no lack of new modules, there's not much reason to play the older ones. Especially when the fans recreate the old pnp modules and computer games in the new NWN modules (and do a good job of it to).

As far as non-D&D rpgs, Diablo 2 (with expansion pack) from Blizzard is a fun romp from a few years past. It might be hard to argue that it is a true rpg, but it has the fantasy elements, decent character development system, and is easy to pick up on. Computer requirements a pretty low and the boxed set can be had for cheap. I wouldn't bother with Diablo 1 - there's a reason they put out Diablo 2. Also, the expansion pack is just about mandatory if you want the game to be fun. I could go into why if you need me to do so. Like NWN, Diablo 2 is single player or networkable with both private, public, and official (Battlenet) servers. Our yong son and I currently play this game together networked in the house and it is a lot of fun.

Game on,

LDB

• exwitless
    exwitless
    When I became one of the borg, I threw out about $600 worth of pnp materials and books, a fact that I was proud of at the time and which makes me sick now because almost all of it is irreplaceable

Oh man, I forgot about how much stuff you threw away when we were assimilated. I remember you spending hours breaking a bunch of your CDs in half and throwing them in the trash because they were "bad" for dubs to have. Too bad about the D&D stuff. I think the only thing we have left of it is a little bag of dice.

I think I'll start a thread on this throwing away subject.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Cool.

Played the game back in the day. Had to hide the Dungeon Master's Guide and Player's Handbook, 'natch,.......lol. Star Frontiers and Top Secret were ok though. Strange.

Played Pool of Radiance on the C64. Good times. Flipped menus like a god,......lol

Haven't played the like since really. I have buddies that want me in on World of Warcraft, but I'm keeping it down to one addictive game ata time,....

Fun stuff though

• metaspy
    metaspy

I personally just finished playing the new Twilight Princess installment of Zelda.
    IT rocked!! I recommend it to anyone who has either a Gamecube or Wii.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Yeah uh...the furthest I got with the nerdy pastimes were MtG and WoW.

Spent too much time and money on MtG; spent way too much time on WoW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit