Joining the JWs in their "Street work"

by Snoozy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Yep..a church here in Mo was in the news today. They are headed for the streets to witness to the passerbys.

They said they are following Christ's footsteps. People even stopped in their cars and rolled the windows down..and gave them an opportunity to "Preach" to them.

Then the "Preacher" put a ash cross on the person's forehead.

Hummm....reminds me of when the witnesses first started going out in service..I wonder when the church will start branching out from the streets and actually go Door to Door?

I think it was a Church of Christ church..

Snoozy

• garybuss
    garybuss

I bet the church's message is a bit less controversial and less confrontational than the Witness's were. The sound cars played Rutherford records that called the Catholic religion demonism and called religion a racket.

• garybuss
  • twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

thanks for posting those pics garybuss they are awesome

I can't even imagine what would happen if one of those cars rolled up in front of the local mall and started preaching over a loud speaker.

Are these your own pics or did you download them from somewhere?

• Rooster
    Rooster

Snozzy. you must have found the "truth" in the those street preachers.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Those nutjobs would need M1 tanks to try and pull that today. Great pics Gary.

Dismembered

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Toes, You wrote: "Are these your own pics or did you download them from somewhere?"

The first picture is from the "Knocking" study guide. The second one, I don't remember where I got it. The third one with the trailer was sent to me by Don Cameron years ago.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Isn't funny when the witnesses think they are the only one who preach, the only ones who read their Bibles, the only ones who try their best to serve God.

abr

• undercover
    undercover

Those photos bring back some old memories...not that I'm old enough to remember sound cars and phonographs at the door...

But as a kid I remember looking at the old photos of the sound cars and the dubs standing at the door with the phonograph. An old brother in one hall I went to even had an old phonograph with some records from those days. I got to hear them played a time or two.

What I remember most though as a kid was being so glad that I wasn't around during those days. I associated that kind of "witnessing" as kooky and nutso. I remember be appreciative that 'we' had toned down our preaching work to be more tolerated and not to make us look like wackos.

What I didn't realize was that no matter how the message was presented, it was still the same message and we were still wackos, even without sound cars and phonographs.

It's hard to explain, but I could point out other religions as cultish and not-quite-right...I could even see the history of the JWs as something that I was glad to not be a part of...but yet I was blind to the fact that I was caught in a web of cultishness.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The "Jehovah's Witnesses--Proclaimers of God's Kingdom" book page 87 contains pictures of a sound car and a sound boat plus preaching with phonographs. More photos of sound cars can be found on pages 156 and 567. I love the caption on page 567 "Sound cars, sometimes many of them (as here in Australia), were used to broadcast Bible truths in public places." Ha ha ha. "Bible truths" that are no longer in vogue!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit