Did you really want to have "Privileges"

by JH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I don't know about others here, but I couldn't care less about privileges.

I had a couple of privileges, but I really didn't want to get too deep in the org and get too many privileges.

I didn't want to get tied down with that, and have to leave 30 minutes later every meeting, or have to spend an extra hour or two preparing for something.

All that counted for me as a dub was "Paradise" and "eternal life"

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

I did....But that's because I grew up in the organization and I always thought that Mic handlers, parking attendants, and WT readers were cool...grew out of it pretty quick.

• JH
    JH
    Mic handlers, parking attendants, and WT readers were cool...

I was a mic handler and parking attendant and at the sound system and it was cool but I froze my as* off outside helping people to park, as if they didn,t know how to park their car at a safe distance from one another. Mic handlers was ok too. It permitted me to get up a bit move around. I never did read the watchtower in front on Sundays. I guess that would have been my next step, but they knew I didn't like talking in public, so maybe that helped. After a while, we didn,t have any more parking attendants, and that was fine with me.

Other than that i didn't want any more privileges. I just wanted to scram 1 minute after the final AMEN.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

If that's what they really were, and I had my doubts, then I had quite a few:

• Microphone handler
    • Running the sound desk
    • Cleaning the kh
    • Weeding the garden
    • Car Park attendant
    • Meeting Attendant

Then, as a ministerial servant:

• Bible highlights
    • Instruction talks
    • Service meeting items
    • Symposiums
    • Full public talks

Did I want them? at the time, yes
    Do I miss them now? Not at all

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Did you really want to have "Privileges"

Sure did.

I was such a pompous a$$ that I considered myself the next member of the GB to be appointed by Haughty Spit.

• TheMan
    TheMan

Yeah, same here, growing up in the org and being desperate for attention and approval, I "reached out" for as many as I could get. Even after I was disfellowshipped and subsequently reinstated, I felt that my "reaching out" would help me gain favor in everyone's eyes. It was once I got the actual responsibilities, especially after being a MS and not receiving the support I needed from the other brothers and elders, that they became very burdensome. After a while, even though I tried very hard, they were more like chores. I was considered a good speaker, but I hated using my evenings to write those talks.

Later, as I started to see through the org, the people, and the teachings, it all became pointless, and I saw those responsibilities as vanity. Now as I think about it, it's all so silly. Why did I think being a mic handler was special? Why can't anyone, including the sisters, help out with literature, etc.? Why does the org make these simple volunteer tasks into "positions?" It's all so silly.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes in the sense you ar econsidered a nobody if you do not have privileges. Otherwise I could not care less

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

At first I did as this is what you are taught but then after awhile you can see the whole thing is set up for competition, then you cant wait to get out of your responsibilities. You can easily lose sight of why you are serving God, it is a rat race.

abr

• JH
    JH

So, I'm the only one up to now that didn't want any.....lol

I guess I could see beyond and over.....

• JH
    JH

I'm far from being lazy, but I refuse to get trapped into something !!!

I always wanted a way out......................not to sink in deeper and deeper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit