Looking for advice for birthday party

by Paralipomenon 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Okay, so after coming to an agreement with my wife about letting our kids do holidays our son is having his birthday coming up this weekend. I'd like to take him out for a lunch or something with a couple of his friends but I have no clue what to do or where to go.

Isn't that sad? I've never had a birthday in my life and this will be a first for him as well. He's turning 7. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Did you want it to be a surprise for him? If not, why not ask him where he'd like to go?

If it's a surprise, take them somewhere child friendly for lunch possibly combined with bowling or a trip to the movies?

Just bouncing some ideas for you - whatever you end up doing, I hope its a great time for you all

• restrangled
    restrangled

First let me congratulate you for being an awesome Dad.

A couple of suggestions. Any place that combines video games and food such as Chuckee Cheeze.

You could also go the route of taking them to a kids movie at the movie theater and buying them way too much popcorn and candy.

Bowling is good if they have the guards for the gutters.

If its going to be boys only, then anywhere they can run around and make a bunch of noise and run into each other or get dirty will suffice.

Any kind of racetrack where they have bumper cars or gokart racing.

Science center.

Vintage Airplane museum.

Lego Land.

• Xena
    Xena

I'm afraid I'm only experienced in girl parties. We did a mall scavenger hunt for my now 12 year old this past weekend but I don't that that would be something that would interest a 7 year old boy.

What kind of things is he interested in? Do boys like to do sleep-overs? The bowling idea is a good one! Any ice skating or just regular skating places around?

Have fun and remember pretty much whatever you do your kid will love it, cause they are good that way.

• Rooster
    Rooster

Have you OK'ed this with the local elders @ the kingdumb hall?

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Anything like a Chucky Cheese Pizza place out there? A place where they have kid-friendly food and games (bowling, arcades, balls pit)--anything like that. Heck--even a McD's with a giant playplace will suffice. Kids that age are easy to please, if you let them run around and burn off energy. ...I miss those days with my kids... ENJOY!!!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I used to take my stepson to "chucky cheese's" or to "go bonkers". One year I took him and 3 friends to play laser tag. What are your options where you live?

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

bowling WITH bumper guards, that is

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Thanks for the ideas.

I was looking for something that was birthdayish as opposed to just having fun but given the intended size I don't think that would be possible.

I think I'll go for Chuckie Cheese then have a cake back at our neighbor's house with candles. I really don't want to go over the top for his first birthday party, maybe next year. :)

Thanks for the ideas!

PS. Just how stupid this religion is, I haven't been to a meeting in about 10 years, couldn't care less about their teachings but still have a small twinge of guilt for planning this birthday party. Anyone else feel a bit guilty celebrating holidays openly after not doing so all your life?

• Scully
    Scully

Depending on where you live, a lot of venues will host birthday parties for kids. We've done them at McDonald's, an activity place that no longer is in business called Gym-Jam (kind of like the play place at McDonald's, but bigger), the movie theatres (especially the ones with arcades - boys love that!), and we did one at an indoor rec-centre with a pool, and another one at a go-cart track, and still another one at a mini-golf place (we have an indoor mini-golf centre with glow-in-the-dark putting - way cool!). Museums will sometimes offer a special birthday package for a small group.

One of our neighbour kids loves to do laser-tag for his birthday party activity - that's cool too!

Find out what options are available in your area, and figure out which ones fit into your price range. Then ask your son what he wants to do for his birthday activity. That will make it even more fun for him!

Take lots of pictures - your wife will see how much fun he's having and will wish she could go along. Better still, why don't you ask her to come along and take the pictures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit