High school anti-cult lessons

by IT Support 21 Replies latest jw friends

• IT Support
    IT Support

I've been asked to help develop a course for high school students to teach them about destructive cults and how to identify them.

Although the course has to be 'general' (i.e. not JW-bashing) to be useful for all students (and also not to frighten off JW kids and their parents), I would hope it might help JWs (kids and parents) to start to think.

Does anyone know of anything similar that we could buy in?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for what should be included?

I've been given a very loose remit at the moment: the education authorities are more interested in getting an idea of the potential scope of the subject before giving me any directions to focus on.

Similarly, they're still very open about the length of the course: 1 hour or 40 hours, they're not yet sure and again want to get an idea of the possibilities before firming up on length.

Finally, I will ensure that the finished course will be freely available as an educational resource for anyone interested in the subject.

I believe this is a very exciting opportunity and would appreciate any help to devise a course that is not offensive yet practical and educational.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Might want to examine this thread here from our own Lady Lee:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/105788/1.ashx

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi IT Support,

My boyfriend has been busy writing some educational articles on cults for a work colleague, who's nephew is becoming involved in one. He has been doing his own research, and if you wish, he will send you what he has done so far.

PM me your email addy if you are interested.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Also, the thread "Jehovah's Witnesses ARE a Cult!!!". There's some pretty good info posted by Lady Liberty and Rooster there.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/129208/2288550/post.ashx#2288550

Frannie

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Combatting Cult Mind Control: The #1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults
    by Steven Hassan

http://www.amazon.com/Combatting-Cult-Mind-Control-Best-selling/dp/0892813113

~Sue

• blondie
  • YoursChelbie
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The 1956 book by Leon Festinger, "When Prophecy Fails" might provide a helpful frame for your discussion, because it it is about wha happened with a FLYING SAUCER CULT.

Thus a JW or a Muslim might be willing to take the class and find it entertaining, never realizing that their mind was being operated upon while they laughed at the crazy flying saucer kooks.

Just a thought.

• IT Support
    IT Support

What a fantastic response, thanks everyone.

I guess possibly the most work will be finding (or tailoring) material suitable for the intended audience (14 to 16-year-olds) and keep things pretty simple.

I'll go through all your suggestions.

Thanks again.

• IT Support
    IT Support

NN,

The 1956 book by Leon Festinger, "When Prophecy Fails" might provide a helpful frame for your discussion, because it it is about wha happened with a FLYING SAUCER CULT.

Thus a JW or a Muslim might be willing to take the class and find it entertaining, never realizing that their mind was being operated upon while they laughed at the crazy flying saucer kooks.

Excellent: both non-threatening and entertaining ...

Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit