Life with Jehovah's Witnesses...

by Who are you? 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

We are getting ready to host my mate’s extended family today. Hosting this particular extended

family of Jehovah’s Witnesses has become fairly predictable over the years. The roots run deep,

four generations. As a “worldly mate” I am treated as well as can be expected. The

personalities in this Jehovah’s Witnesses family run the gamut from the matriarch who for the last

seventy years has steadfastly held to the notion that the end of the world is just around the

corner, to the younger generations who in the presence of the older generation show respect and

nod in agreement with their proclamations, yet behind closed doors, share the odd stories of

being raised as Jehovah’s Witnesses. We’ve stocked up on lots of food and lots of booze. After

all, this is not a group of teetotalers. I don’t condemn them for their excessive drinking, after all

this is one of the only ways they can collectively lighten up. Besides yoga, meditation and other,

similar relaxation therapies are frowned upon as “worldly”. I decided long ago that it is far more

enlightening to observe this collective group of religious folk, then to engage or argue their

beliefs. I enjoy listening to them justify their particular positions. After all I am family and am

privy to their secrets. It is interesting to hear them quote the bible verses of drinking wine “being

good for the spirit”. This ritual always precedes the inevitable time that I am taken aside later in

the day be each of the swaying matriarchs and patriarchs of the family to be told that a little wine

is good for the spirit. If previous experience is any indication, then by midday their collective

spirits should be quite high.

Well I better get moving. I’m no psychic, but by the time the day is done, I can assure you a few

things will have happened. There will be banter about how current world events surely point to

the time of the end. There will be stories exchanged about how evil the Catholic Church is. There

will be stories exchanged about going out in service and how the latest bible study, an intelligent

college student is just about to turn to Jehovah. Later in the day there will be a soft moan coming

from one of the rooms, and there will be that all too familiar scene of the matriarch in tears,

pleading with the youngest member of the family to come to Jehovah before it is too late. I can’t

wait.

Cheers for now.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Who Are You, and welcome

It is interesting to hear them quote the bible verses of drinking wine “being

good for the spirit”. This ritual always precedes the inevitable time that I am taken aside later in

the day be each of the swaying matriarchs and patriarchs of the family to be told that a little wine

is good for the spirit. If previous experience is any indication, then by midday their collective

spirits should be quite high.

Yes, drinking is the only way a lot of jws are able to lighten up a little.

• new boy
    new boy

Greetings my friend and welcome.

There is definately more clarity on the outside looking in.........Everything you say is so true. Since I WAS a Jw for over 50 years, I would recomend that you have alot of love and compassion for them. They are losing their younger generation of believers and just maybe you can be there to help some of them make their transitition into the "real world."........love is always the answer.

Namaste

Keith Casarona

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>I don’t condemn them for their excessive drinking, after all this is one of the only ways they can collectively lighten up.

Too true, and you certainly sound like a trooper for not raining on their parade. You've got that "balance/live-let-live" thing goin' on!

Hope the party contains something interesting for you, beyond the petting-zoo observations.

Welcome to JWD!

Dave

• mouthy
    mouthy

You must be a very patient person.... I would HAVE to expalin to them....The end has been coming SO long ...For the Organization.!!!! All that is going to happen is Jehovahs Witnesses ( the religious) NOT the Witness of Jehovah will be an alcoholic in THEIR end...
    It is a kind thing your doing. But I hope they KNOW you wont be converted to their religion

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello who are you. Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you got a handle on it.

• anewme
    anewme

Yes, a hardy welcome Whoareyou!

Hey you could be our undercover reporter of the LATEST INSIDE STUFF!

Keep you eyes and ears open today!

Anewme

• anewme
    anewme

For instance you could casually bring up a question about the Society's finances
    "I was wondering how the Society is doing financially?"

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Ask them what happens if they are drunk while Armageddon arrives.

• becca1
    becca1

Welcome! Enjoy your "holiday"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit