The Sunday Thread!

by Crumpet 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I just spent a helluva a long morning in bed even though I was awake early, then did some yoga before breakfast and a piping hot shower. Now I feel like I still have a whole fabulous day to enjoy doing exactly what I want.

In my other life I used to dread Sundays. I would read my book to take my mind off the imminent boredom right up until we got to the hall doors and then 2 hours of monotony would follow - the sickening nerves of making myself answer up, often choking mid sentence because I was so nervous, but worse was to come. We'd rush home have a quick lunch and then pack our bags for the ministry and then it would be 2 hours of doing presentations to disgusted and annoyed householders. If we were lucky it would be bad weather so we could go and do return visits out in the country with an hours drive in between, but that was the best we could hope for.

What were your Sundays like before - feel free to say if you enjoyed them as a witness - not everyone's experiences are the same ? And What do you like about your Sundays now?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The congregation I was in shared the kh, so I'd be at the meeting right now, probably clock watching as the wt study drew to it's close. Then would follow an hour or so in the fs, then home to cook myself dinner. I might watch some tv after that, read for a while then go to bed. That's not much of a day, but it was better than when it was our turn for afternoon meetings. I didn't go in fs on Sunday mornings, but having had an early dinner, it used to be more of a battle than usual to stay awake for the 2 hours.

Now, well I've had my usual Sunday lie in, breakfast in bed, a long hot shower, and I have a relaxing day ahead of me. Trev does the cooking on Sundays, and apart from walking our dog this afternoon, we have no plans for the day. In between conversations, I expect he will watch tv, there is live football on, or work on an article he is writing for a work colleague, and I'll be on here.

I didn't hate being a jw most of the time, but I much prefer my Sundays as they are now than what they were.

• merfi
    merfi

Oh how I love my Sundays now! Today is my sleep-day since I'm working tonight yet. In the past I'd "sleep fast" then go to the meeting. Braindead, but there for appearances. Then go back to work that evening/night, running on about 4-5 hours of sleep. If it wasn't a weekend I was working nights, it was the usual begrudgingly get out of bed, swipe the WT with a highlighter and trudge to the meeting... 1/2 day wasted. Yuck.

NOW -- ooooh so much better. Today, after sleeping fast, I'm going to a Daytona party with my man. Then back to work at 7 tonight. Running on 4-5 hours of sleep.

Our "normal" Sundays around here are usually jammies days. No alarm clock, no schedule. Sometimes no leaving the house, but having a Harry Potter or Star Wars movie marathon, cookie-baking frenzy etc. Ya know -- normal stuff.

merfi

• Backed away
    Backed away

Your becoming one of my favorite posters C,

Good topic, My Sunday's used to start when I went to bed Saturday night, dreading the inevitable bed jarring from my parents to get up for the meeting. The only good thing was and most of us remember, what time our Sunday meeting started. If our "rotation " fell on the early meeting, then WOOHOO! there was still a day left to do something. If we drew the late meeting, 4 pm, Sunday was death.

Early meetings had the biggest crowds, funny now as I look back on it because those in other congregations wanted a life too.

Now, Sunday mornings are happy times anticipating anything. Sunday evenings haven't changed though as they remind me of AARRGGHH! work tomorrow.

Happy Sunday everyone!! ( John in a good mood cause it's early still )

• Mary
    Mary
    What were your Sundays like before - feel free to say if you enjoyed them as a witness -

Alot of mine was the same as yours Crumpet. Got up, studying the Craptower, got ready for the meeting. My parents never went out in Service so I never had to worry about them dragging me out, but usually twice a month, a bunch of us would go out in Service after the meeting, but we always only went for 1 hour. Then after preaching to everyone about how they're going to die at the Big A if they don't join us pure Christians, we'd go drinking down at the park, go visit other teenage Dubs we knew, go to the drive-in movie theatre in a borrrowed van where half of us would hide to avoid paying admission.

And What do you like about your Sundays now?

I go to a Presbyterian Reformed church sometimes with one of my co-workers and his family. It's conservative, but after the shit we were raised in, it's a piece of cake. I don't have to study any frigging magazine before I go either. The funny part is: I don't know 99% of the hymns they sing. The only ones I know are Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Are and Shall We Gather At the River. I can read music though, so I'm learning alot of them. What I really enjoy about it, is after the talk, there's a 15 - 20 minute break where they serve coffee and cookies. Then, if you want to stay, there's a Q&A period where you can openly ask any questions you like and give your viewpoints on it.......something that would never happen in Dubdumb Land until Hell freezes over.

After that, I either go out for lunch with some of them, or come home, work on my paper for class, do laundry, do some cooking, shopping, read, or get together with some other ex-Dubs friends for supper and socialization....come home in time to watch The Simpsons and Desperate Housewives......(Sunday's jes wouldn't be the same without them.)

See what a totally boring life I lead?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Your becoming one of my favorite posters C,

Thanks BackedAway - would this have anything to do with starting your birthday thread - hmmm?

Merfi and MAry - You lot had it way easy - swiping the watchtower with a highlighter the morning before! We had a family study on Friday - usually between and hour to two hours studying the first half and then we were expected to spend Saturday afternoon after a couple of hours door knocking - studying the second half in as much detail as the first!

I am spending much of this Sunday studying - but thats because I want to and its not studying made up stories - well actually it is - part of it is studying the truth of certain CULTures and worthfulness of their traditions ... oh I have so much to add to my essay on this when the time comes I'm not sure I can restrict myself to 1,500 words!!

Fullofdoubt - your Sundays sound like how I like mine - although Sunday dinner is my fave to cook - no one is coming near my roast tatties but me and my secret ingredients! I am getting hungry now - I think I might have to take a break and go get some roast ingredients!! I think I have enough for a small chicken left in my purse - YAY!!!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    I think I have enough for a small chicken left in my purse - YAY!!!

We are having chicken, Trev is cooking it now.

Isn't it great to have a nice, relaxing day, a leisurely dinner which you don't have to fit in around your more important theocratic duties, and not have to bother about whether the householders will be annoyed with you for calling on them or not? I feel so sorry for those who still have to go ot meetings on a Sunday, I wouldn't ever want to back to that crap.

Linda

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Sundays used to suck. I'd have a pile of homework to do before monday, but instead, we'd go to the meeting, go out in field service, then I'd come home and go to work.

When I was off on Sunday, it was meeting, field service, and then a big meal with another JW family, who 9 out of 10 times I didn't like. At least the food was good.

Now Sundays are actually leisure! Depending on the activities of Saturday, i wake up whenever I desire, and get to do whatever I want. Today that happens to be taking a very special young lady out for a big breakfast, and then meeting a friend to do some shopping.

• dobbie
    dobbie

I used to hate getting up when we had the morning meetings, and hated it when it was after lunch(shared hall) cos i'd be tired after eating. Now we get up and dressed late, kids watch telly, make cakes, go to swimming class and shops, go to park or round my mums. I laughed this morning looking out the kitchen window cos i saw my neighbours all dressed up going off to the meeting, and back just now from the ministry presumably, and i was so glad to be out of that.!

I used to hate answering up too Crumpet, i would literally shake from head to toe and go the colour of a tomato!So i didn't do it much but i never forget once my step father in law(elder) picked on me out of the blue to read a scripture, i nearly burst into tears from shock!In the end i used to spend every meeting in the 2nd hall out the back, and no amount of persuasion would get me out of there!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Get up, go to the meeting, feel guilty for not going out in d2d afterwards, go back home, bored the rest of the day, no friends, no life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit