"It was Jehovah leading me..."

by Fleshybirdfodder 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

My best friend and his wife had hired an elder to do some refinishing work in their basement. They kept their TV and VHS tapes (pre DVD era) down there. It seems dear brother was a bit of a nosy fella, so he just happened to pop in one of their home movies of a trip they had taken to Cuba and found some footage of my friend smoking a cigar. The guy had the audacity to go to his fellow elders about it and my friend was reproved and removed as an MS (probably the best thing that could have happened to him but that's besides the point.) The elder's comment, "I know it was Jehovah leading me because I would never normally go through anyone's private videos. Something just made me grab that tape." Nosy elder was praised because it was so obvious to the commitee that it was holy spirit and not the desire to ogle my friend's wife in a bikini that led him to watch the tape. Now that is a get out of jail free card if ever there was one. Kind of a Dub version of "the devil made me do it."

FBF

• fifi40
    fifi40

I hope they didnt pay him for the work.......................

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

That's so bizarre that a person would have the audacity to invade someones privacy, and then roll over on them. That elder is a real douche bag in a douche bag organization.

• JamieL
    JamieL

My best friend and his wife had hired an elder to do some refinishing work in their basement. They kept their TV and VHS tapes (pre DVD era) down there. It seems dear brother was a bit of a nosy fella, so he just happened to pop in one of their home movies of a trip they had taken to Cuba and found some footage of my friend smoking a cigar. The guy had the audacity to go to his fellow elders about it and my friend was reproved and removed as an MS (probably the best thing that could have happened to him but that's besides the point.) The elder's comment, "I know it was Jehovah leading me because I would never normally go through anyone's private videos. Something just made me grab that tape." Nosy elder was praised because it was so obvious to the commitee that it was holy spirit and not the desire to ogle my friend's wife in a bikini that led him to watch the tape. Now that is a get out of jail free card if ever there was one. Kind of a Dub version of "the devil made me do it."

FBF

Oh my god. Sounds like this brother really needed to get laid.

He says it like he found the grave of Jimmy Hoffa or some grand discovery of the end all and be all. He was smoking a cigar, once. That's so ridiculous, if he was otherwise faithful, which it sounds like he was, there was no reason to even punish him at all.

Everything has to be decided by some judicial committee. Even the smallest little thing. Some people just need to remove themselves from others personal lives. Much like "The WT in the bedroom"

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

What an ass. I hope they didn't pay this nosey bastard. I sure wouldn't.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

It seems they make it their business to know everyone else's private business.

BP

• becca1
    becca1

The nerve of him not just playing any video but a personal one at that! And I bet no one told him that invading the privacy of others was a terrible thing. I hope he gets caught doing something like that at a "wordly" person's home. He'll be in deep doodoo.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The elder was praised for invading the privacy of the person who had given him work

If it was anyone other than a jw, I'd be surprised but...........

• cyrus
    cyrus

there must be some legal stuff .did he take the tape from thier home ?that is theft .what about invasion of privacy .what does the law say .If not give him a punch in the face the very least what a wanker.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

That is disgusting.

I am quite certain there are laws against what the nosey elder did.

For instance, I wonder if he ever heard about "conversion of personal property." Surely he would have had to provide the tape or a copy of it for evidence?

And if he did not, that would lead to "defamation of character" (if your friend had been clever enough to lie about the cigar-smoking video).

ha ha "the . . . smoking video!"

Then, that might lead to charges of false accusations, gossip, unloving behaviour, etc. on the cong level.

Whateva! These people are about as f@cking petty as any group or religion gets!

Edit:

Well, when it comes to pettiness, I suppose that what's good for the goose (the victim) is good for the gander (the elders). Check out personal property conversion/resultant damages statutes . . . don't know what equivalent is to this in Canada:

" 21-3-3. Presumed damages for wrongful conversion of personal property--Presumptions conclusive when possession wrongful from beginning. The detriment caused by the wrongful conversion of personal property is presumed to be:

(1) The value of the property at the time of the conversion, with the interest from that time; (2) Where the action has been prosecuted with reasonable diligence, the highest market value of the property at any time between the conversion and the verdict, without interest, at the option of the injured party; (3) A fair compensation for the time and money properly expended in pursuit of the property. Such presumptions cannot be repelled in favor of one whose possession was wrongful from the beginning by his subsequent application of the property to the benefit of the owner, without his consent.

Source: CivC 1877, §§ 1970, 1971; SL 1885, ch 42, § 1; CL 1887, §§ 4603, 4604; RCivC 1903, §§ 2315, 2316; RC 1919, §§ 1987, 1988; SDC 1939 & Supp 1960, § 37.1910. "

If it is established that conversion of personal property did in fact take place, then the stage seems to be set for a nice civil suit against all individuals involved, and possibly against the WBTS for the damages incurred by the nosey elder's illegal activity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit