Do you recall your "point of no return"?

by JH 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

A Billboard on I-275 that said....

607 BCE ?

• wiegel
    wiegel

Crisis of Conscience - the part about the brothers in Mexico being allowed (approved by hdqtrs) to bribe their way out of military service. . . and our brothers and sisters in malawi were being raped, beat and killed bc they weren't allowed (by hdqtrs)to carry a govt ID card. THAT was the instant I knew that no matter what else I still believed or felt, I needed to really step back, way back, further...............

• Gregor
    Gregor

Within the space one year in the late '70's the WTS reversed a couple their sexual conduct related mandates. I had spent most of the previous 5 years enforcing and endorsing these rules as an elder on many JC's. Unlike the WTS, I was dealing face to face with real flesh and blood people who had real relationships that hung in the balance of WTS whims. On top of that, the 20 yr old nephew of the "superfine, anointed elder" in the cong. was caught making sexual advances on my 12 yr old daughter. When I insisted on going to the police he made sure I was aware of his disapproval.

Soooo, I'm not sure of the day and hour, but my 'point of no return' came in like a "thief in the night" within a short period of months. I told them to kiss my ass and what I thought of their little concocted cult.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Jh

My point of no return was about 5 years ago.I was tired and didn't feel well that day. I didn't want to go to the Ministry School,Service Meeting but I made myself.The Service Meeting drove me insane and I told myself that I would never return.

Two sisters were up on stage with the usual Jehovah's Witness offering a householder a Watchtower Magazine and Bible Study.The householder took both and was happy for her return visit.I'm sitting knowing that it never happens that way. Then it hit me......... all we are to the WTS are MARY KAY,AMWAY,and AVON salesman.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

When the Circuit Overseer sighed as I opened the Bible to Romans 2:1, 2, he closed the Organized to Do Jehovah's Will book and after thanking me for having thought this through he said, "The organization is not held to the same standards as publishers."

That was the point of no return. The last fragile remnants of hopes that the organization would redeem itself shattered into nothing in that moment.

If the organization is not held to its own standards how does it differ from the Pharisees?

—AuldSoul

• Spectre
    Spectre

I don't really remember. I faded away, later went to college, learned a few things there that raised my left eyebrow, eventually got a computer and heard about CoC. When I faded I knew that I never wanted to go back so maybe everything after was just reinforcement.

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

I don't remember any specific event which made me quit. I do remember what turned the tide and made me see that the Society had problems.

We had several talks in a row about how anyone having problems with the Society and its Elders behavior was actually the cause of the problem themselves. The Society and the Elders were not to blame, now or ever. I couldn't believe my ears. That was one of the craziest, most arrogant things I had ever heard. Up to that point, I thought my issues were mostly with the locals. But this started coming from the literature itself.

I also remember one of the worst Elders we had giving a talk...of all things...about how the Elders should shepherd the sheep. This was the guy who went around thumping his chest, always demanding his double honor. "This oughta be good," I thought. Then he completely twisted the talk into how the sheep owe the Elders double honor! Again, I couldn't believe it. And nobody said jack.

I actually walked out of the Hall in the middle of the meeting. From then on, I stayed because of Jehovah, not the Society. For some reason, I hadn't quite figured out that they might not be his chosen org. That's what 3-4 years of mind control will do to you I guess. Maybe I had too much invested in it by that point to see it clearly.

IsaacJ

• Amazing
    Amazing

JH,

Yes, it was November 1991, right after KM School for Elders and MSs. I had just finished reading Franz's second book, "In Search ..." and made my decision, given the weight of all the evidence, to no longer view myself as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I resigned my position in April 1992, and started the fade process in May 1992. But, it was November 1991 that I reached the point of no return. It was then all about getting my family out of the organization, which took about seven or eight more months ... it was worth every damn minute and effort and skillful planning to make it happen.

Good topic ... good thread ...

Jim Whitney

• snickers
    snickers

For me, personally, it was when my first daughter entered Kindergarten and was invited to a birthday party. We were still on the fence and told her no at first. Then the holidays came around - and there really wasn't any reason to prevent her from enjoying these childhood celebrations that we were deprived of. My husband and I talked about it for weeks and finally decided that we had no intention of returning to the KH and had no intention of raising our kids as JWs. I remember telling my husband, "I can't raise her with in a religion I don't believe in anymore". So after the first birthday party, we jumped in feet first and that was the end of it. Now, I am so sad that we don't have memories of our kid's first, second, etc. birthdays.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I had moved into my first apartment with two room-mates. It just seemed so wierd putting on a modest Christian sister dress and hose when they were watching TV in sweats for the evening. I wanted to flop down on the couch, too! It's like pulling teeth to go to a meeting after missing several; you realize how much you hate them, and wouldn't mind never going to another one! I kept passing the entrance to the Hall and knew I just didn't want to turn in because nobody inside really cared about me and I didn't like them either. I never went back!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit