Do you recall your "point of no return"?

by JH 49 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Was there something special that happened, an event or maybe a deception, that triggered your point of no return as a JW.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Nah, not really, just the whole thing sucked - being a jw.

I guess getting laid really, really good for a really lonnngggg time by a worldly guy when I was 17 helped a lot!

• Cellist
    Cellist

Yes, there were two contradictory articles on "the Princes in all the earth" that were printed within a month or so of each other. Since both couldn't be true, we had to question ourselves on which one was true. As soon as we allowed ourselves to question what was written in a Watchtower then every thing was open to question. "Stopthink" was suspended.

Cellist

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

The "fairy tale"-ness of the flood/Noah thing, and the illogic of praying for others. Those two hit me like a ton of bricks one day and that was pretty much the end of it.

Dave

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

See below.......

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Dont remember the exact time, but it was late 1993 or early 1994-pre internet. I decided that I was not gonna be a JW, no matter what, and I was resolved that I would be destroyed in a couple of years before "this generation' passed away. I still walked away from it all partially believing, it wasnt until Christmas Eve 1997 that I discovered the real truth about this cult, thanks to the internet. The biggest thing was finding out that they had dropped the 1914 generation teaching, I knew it was all a lie from that day forward.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Yes.

I was 17. Julia was 21.

She asked if I would go to bed with her.

That really was the final straw.

tim

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

My last meeting was it. I realized how controlling they are, and that I didn't need that, and it was SCARY!

• Sassy
    Sassy

I sure do.. the day I kicked my 2nd husband out of the house, I knew I wasn't going back....

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

December 31, 1991, when I sat down and wrote a letter to the Gov. Haughty telling them what "hypocrites and white-washed graves" they are and that was the nicest thing I said to them.

I mailed it on Jan. 2nd and the Gov. Haughty's order for my execution disfellowshipping came through for me on February 16, 1992, about 6 weeks to the day after the letter was mailed to them.

And that's the truth that initially set me free.

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit